• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what is this?

I have several pepper plants growing in my bed room. I noticed that 1 tray has begun to develop a white powdery substance and the plants (still seedlings) are beginning to wilt?....I dunno what it is. Should I use some sort of fungicide on it or what...any help would be great!!!! The peppers that are being affected are Jalepeno and Serrano....My Naga's are doing fine ...just really slow growing...

I will post pics later...I tried to take pictures but the batteries for the camera are dead so I will charge and add a pic in a lil bit...

Now I'm really mad. Evidentally the starter soil I bought had some ants in it. My tray of Jalepenos and Serranos is loaded with ants. What is a good pesticide that I can use on the seedlings to get rid of all these ants? I pulled a couple of peat pots out and it looks like a damn ant farm under it!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is a pic of the white powdery stuff:

DSC01174.jpg

My suggestion is to try a little Neem. It will act as both a mild fungicide and an insecticide, and most stores with a garden section carry it. Just follow the direction on the bottle for dilution and application.

Hydrogen peroxide(h2o2) kills fungus too. And lots of hydro growers use it because it oxygenates the water too when it breaks down into h2o & o. Mix it like 1 part to 9 parts with water or so. Won't harm the plants at all.

Yes, there is a neem oil based spray that u can buy. I've seen that before. It's actually a fungus and will form into a penis shapped yellow mushroom that is not of my favorite kind (magic). I had this problem alot with my carnivorous plant tank.

ok it's a fungus...what would cause this? too much watering? that is the same tray that has an ant colony in it,,,no idea where the hell the ants came from though...these have never been outside yet....unless they were in the seed starter soil I bought....

Dyce51 said:
ok it's a fungus...what would cause this? too much watering? that is the same tray that has an ant colony in it,,,no idea where the hell the ants came from though...these have never been outside yet....unless they were in the seed starter soil I bought....
Fungus can come from anywhere, even outerspace. A single spore is so light that it can travel across the world on winds and even out into space (where is can survive). It could have come in the soil or the ants could have tracked it in. When ants creat a colony, there walls are covered with a specific fungus which they eat.

so basically kill the ants and kill the fungus....I will go and get some neem oil and see what happens.

Will the Hydrogen Peroxide kill the ants or is that just to kill the fungus?

Back