• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Have you tried this?

So I was watching some hydroponic videos on you tube and suddenly i started to watch a video aboud Global buckets,very interesting process have you tried it?? Just about to start my hydroponic system, small, and now this!! Im trying both. Lol more peppers, more peppers, haha

I've tried it on a small scale (20x20x20cm pot) and it works very well... I was a bit worried that it wouldn't scale down - because I only have a little 8mm tube filled with perlite/peat that serves for "wicking" - but it's working great. The soil is moist all the time though, so I don't know if it's perfect for peppers, but the tomato I'm growing seems to love it.

I've tried it on a small scale (20x20x20cm pot) and it works very well... I was a bit worried that it wouldn't scale down - because I only have a little 8mm tube filled with perlite/peat that serves for "wicking" - but it's working great. The soil is moist all the time though, so I don't know if it's perfect for peppers, but the tomato I'm growing seems to love it.
I have the same concerns. I've got a few containers ready for tomatoes, but not sure if it will be too moist for peppers. I'm keen to know if any members have had any success growing peppers. Their website http://www.globalbuckets.org/ has some very good ideas for automatic watering.

i just heard about this kind of system myself. They were mentioned in Urban Farm Magazine's article about growing peppers. They just left out the part about how to build them, so I figured it must be a fairly common set-up. I went on their website and found this:

http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/urban-farm-magazine-and-books/urban-farm-exclusives/self-watering-container-instructions.aspx

If I try it I'll be sure to post if there's any significant difference in yield.

I'm using a Global bucket design for around half (45) of my plants this year.The others are in conventional top watering containers. Both types of container approaches are doing well at this point....but I'll know more about yeild at the end of the season.
Here's the one gallon size...(both cloth and dirt wick versions)
IMG_0480.jpg

DSCF0892.jpg

peppergarden2011015.jpg

Then they are planted up to either a 3.5 or 5 gallon container.
peppergarden2011021.jpg

IMG_0682-1-1.jpg

IMG_0684-1.jpg

I use earth boxes (same concept for global buckets) for my peppers and they love them. Since I have zero dirt all of my peppers grow in containers and my 2nd floor patio uses earth boxes so I can avoid having to water them very often. They don't seem to mind the constant wet soil as much because it's an 85% peat moss mix, which allows them to breath easily. Some of my best plants where grown in earth boxes.

Is that a "topsy turvy" in the bottom right of the last picture? How do you like that method so far?
Indeed it is...I picked up a dozen at the end of last season ...for $2.00 each.
After harvesting the seeds from some ornamental pepper varieties I grew, I gave a pack of my seeds and a Topsy Turvy as "Chilehead Christmas" gifts.
Turned out to be a hit, so I thought I should actually grow one myself...or suffer the verbal onslaught of friends and family.
There are 7 plants in the planter....not sure how they will turn out....just have to wait and see.

Back