• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brain Strain vs Butch T

So i tried the brain strain and butch t from cappy. Tried the brain strain 2 weeks ago and just tried the butch t just now.

Definately the brain strain was hotter. It had me running to the kitchen. It also tasted better. Like others said the butch t tasted bad, and the heat was real hot but not as hot as brain strain. My tongue burned real quick and got a little numb with the butch. The brain strain was fruity, slowly grew on heat, and kept on going and going.

The winner in my book is the brain strain in heat and taste.

Some pics

Butch T
P1020008.jpg

Brain Strain
P1020002.jpg

The fact you were able to distinguish between the heat levels and say one is hotter than the other makes me think of two possible scenarios. the first being BS (but why?) and second those aren't ButchT's.

The ones I grew nearly killed me! one bite was like a bus crashing into my face. BANG! a fast hit and what a hit. I'm seriously doubtful there's anything hotter, but even if there is, how could you tell? it's just too hot. there's a limit to how much pain you can take.

Forgive Omri as he has never tried a BS 7 Pod and does not know. Why you insist there can be nothing hotter than a ButchT Scorpion and who says there is a stable strain of it out there anyway? Person after person has said that the 7 Pod is the hotter why would they lie is right. I have put very stable 7 Pod strain out there that is extremely recognizable for anybody to grow just wish you would stop denying the Brain Strain for it's superior heat. Thanks for the independent comparison of these different burns Pepperjam. :banghead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uukNx1xm5bE

Omri, each person reacts differently to pepper heat. To me, the brain strain was hotter. Ive heard on these forums that genetics may play into heat tolerance. Maybe my genetics can tolerate the butch t better or my heat tolerance went up since the brain strain test.

Anyways, this is just my opinion. Other members on THP can comment on which pepper is hotter to them.

People just don't understand that a Brain Strain is some sort of genetic freak that's all placenta and oil. I can eat one, as long as I give myself a week. I have never grown the Butch T, but I'd like too. I'll have to grow it alongside the BS and do a back to back test. I can follow Omri's logic in that it's so hot, how can you really distinguish? Well, my 1st experience with Nagas made me think nothing could be hotter either. Then along came the Brain Strain. It seemed twice as hot as a Naga without exaggeration. It's basically inedible for humans, but it's fun to give to people who claim they can eat anything. (With multiple warnings and a signed liability release of course)

I have eaten bhuts, several scorpions, and this 7..these include the ButchT..and I gaurantee you they WERE true pods. I agree every one of these..the heat level was pretty similar..mild differences. The brainstrain I am telling you IS NOTICEABLY hotter than all of them and last a lot longer. I have no ties to cappy or his brainstrain nor do I have ties to Neil and the butchT. While both are VERY hot and both are good (ppl told me ButchT was nasty but its actually not)...the BS is hotter.

This sucker had me so flustered I said "i think i have a yellow 7pod growing"..all while im holding one in my hand that came from my garden :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKsXdKAcNgg&feature=share

I have eaten bhuts, several scorpions, several 7's..these include the ButchT..and I gaurantee you they WERE true pods. I agree every one of these..the heat level was pretty similar..mild differences. The brainstrain I am telling you IS NOTICEABLY hotter than all of them and last a lot longer. I have no ties to cappy or his brainstrain nor do I have ties to Neil and the butchT. While both are VERY hot and both are good (ppl told me ButchT was nasty but its actually not)...the BS is hotter.
i agree mike

OK then. sorry friends, that was just my opinion.
Hope I didn't upset you PRF. :)

I can't distinguish between the heat of some of the hotter strains, but the ButchT always seemed much more painful than others. as if I'm not eating a pepper, but getting my face smashed with a giant hammer. the quick hit makes it much more painful and less of a "burn". that's just me.

Opinions are good but to make an informed decision you must do your research on both sides. I would like to send you fresh pods but that is not happening so a seed offer is on the table. I have grown the BS 7 Pod for years side by side with the Scorpion and no doubt which one is the hottest. The ButchT is not the end all in the heat department some new peppers will knock it off eventually. Of courese this is also only my opinion but my rebuttal is all the videos of people eating the Brain Strain 7 Pod saying which is hottest. Time will tell no hard feelings Omri. :)

Been collecting BS seeds and will have an offer up in the marketplace again soon shipping worldwide. :cool:

While I have been trying to germinate various types for months, have only recently got the hang of it, I am indeed keen on the brain strain, they look so damn cool!
I will be watching for this thread :)

This is up there with the ones I want to try, which the superhots include the red bhut (fresh not pickled), trinidad scorpion (fresh not pickled), yellow 7-pod and brain strain.
Much experimenting this year, I will be limited for space in the near future so I must choose what I want to grow before the misses gets involved.

Looking forward to it :)

Yeah, been experimenting in our winter too. I have heaps of anuums, habs and more at the moment already anyway.
Looking to buy from THSC some packs of various compilations, ie:

World Mix:
Takanotsumi
Peruvian White Habanero
The Kempsey Red
The Scotch Bonnet
Fatali Habanero
All 5 packs for $16 + Postage

Caribbeans Pack:
The Trinidad Scorpion
Yellow 7 Pod
Morouga Red
Bonda ma Jacques
all 4 packs $22 + Postage

Extreme Danger Pack:
The Chocolate Habanero(Congo Black)
Red 7 pod
Dorset Naga
Bih Jolokia
all 4 packs $21 + Postage'

But looking for a few more choc or yellow varieties, like choc bhut jolokia and douglah, plus want to get a brain strain etc when I want to get serious about my summer crop in september/october.

Last year i ate both but they were grown in different states. i put the brain 3rd and butch 2nd and judy's 7 brown 1st. this year i'm growing all three in the same conditions and will do the whole pod on each. i will pick out the best examples of the strain available to me and i will do it more than once. by the end of the season i'll get to the bottom of this matter. if that many people put BS first there must be something to it. also , some people are more sensitive to a tongue burn and some are more sensitive to a throat burn so that is always a factor. the BS i tried was late season so i'll try a gnarlier example of them this year.i'll also be throwing douglah in the mix as i heard just as many 1st place claims with them. i'm growing cappys douglah this year. amazing plants. i love this debate and look forward to seeing which comes out on top. oh , and there will be video of these experiences. nothing faked or exagerated. just honest findings.

I too would like to test the douglah to the other two. As soon as I get my hands on a pod...i will be trying this as well. I did a douglah before but it was dehydrated and re hydrated so not really a fair comparison.

Wow, the brain strains do have some awesome heat and look wicked. Thanks again for the pods Cappy.
Its very hard for me to say which is actually hotter, especially when fresh, since they are both extremely hot and the burn and flavor are very different, but I can say that much I prefer the burn and flavor of the brain-strain which reminds me of the more flavorful non Butch T scorpions. The BTs in my opinion still seem to have a harsher burn for me when fresh but some of that may have to do with the battery acid flavored placenta and not just SHU levels. Next tests will be in identical home-made sauce forms, and then I plan to try both dehydrated in identical sausage recipes and have my guinnea pigs try them :mouthonfire: I just have to wait a bit for more fresh BT pods

I too would like to test the douglah to the other two. As soon as I get my hands on a pod...i will be trying this as well. I did a douglah before but it was dehydrated and re hydrated so not really a fair comparison.

I could hook you up with a Douglah for your "test", mine are ripening...

Back