• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Adding Ingredients After The Fact

Ok, I let my sauce sit for two weeks to let the flavors blend and it turns out I didn't add enough vinegar. It's extremely thick and I want it to be much more viscous. Can I add vinegar or water to it at this point to loosen it up or is that a bad idea at this point?

Damn...I've been mulling over this one for awhile.

If you want to do that, I'd pour it back in a pot, heat it up to about 190F and then add your liquid. Better safe than sorry.

I have added vinegar with no ill-effect, but I don't know about adding water. also not sure about heating it again only to then cool it again - I don't think that is right but I'm no food technologist, it's just MHO. I suppose it depends on how quickly you will use it and how much you've got.

That's trial and error. Toss it and start over. Since you're aging it try different formulas at one time so you can test them all and not have to wait another two weeks.

It should be fine to add more vinegar. Better to recook it though. Reheating mostly leads to problems if you're using meat, egg or dairy...thats when you can create new life forms.
Bring it to the boil for a while just to be safe.

Back