• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating Medium for Hot Peppers

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and to growing hot peppers. I intend to germinate 25-30 varieties and am attempting to determine the best medium to use. I want to use plugs or pellets or something that is easy to handle. I am a complete novice and am seeking input about the best way to do this. I thought about rapid rooter or bio dome plugs, maybe peat or coco coir pellets or Rick wool? I just performed an experiment with 40 + seeds in a few different mediums in a domed tray on a heat mat with Bhut Jolokias, Butch T's, and Infinitys it's been 2 weeks today and the results have been poor. I have 1 Butch T and 3 Indinitys up that's it. I gotta figure out out a better system before I start for real in Feb. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance .

I have used peat pellets in a tubberware container and have had great results, but a new method I am trying is just peat moss in a party cup with another party cup underneath to reduce over watering and place a sandwhich bag over it with a rubberband. There are so many different methods that people use it just what is best for them. What is most important is temperature and water control. Good Luck and Merry Christmas

I have used Jiffy seed starting mix every year with with good results. I put some in a party cup (as stated above) or I use the biodegradable Jiffy pots, drop a seed or two in, put a little more starting mix on top and mist it til it's damp. I may try some of my bonsai mix this year as an experiment, but the way I mentioned above has always done well for me.

I want to use plugs or pellets or something that is easy to handle. I thought about rapid rooter or bio dome plugs, maybe peat or coco coir pellets or Rick wool?

Last season I used the rapid rooter plugs and they worked great for me, but now I'm leaning towards the coco coir pellets. Some of our well respected members are using this medium with excellent results. I haven't cost them out yet, but that next on the list after Christmas.

Last year I used Miracle Grow potting soil in a disposable tray with a humidity dome, worked great, this year it isnt working for me so I am trying some Rockwool. The main thing is to keep the medium moist but not wet. A heating mat will also aid in germination, use a seedling heating mat, not a "oh my back hurts" heating mat.

Hey thanks everyone for your replies! I am using a heat mat in a dome .. humm wonder if they are too wet? I used several 6 cell trays with one seed per and a couple of 5 inch pots with several seeds scattered and the folded napkin in a bag method. I put cling wrap over each pot and cell tray then put em in a dome. But out of 48 seeds I only got 1 Scorpian and 3 Infinitys up I got another Scorpian pit a root in a napkin so I transplanted it into a pot but so far it has not come up. Most were Bhut Jolokias but 15 days in none of them have come up. I removed the tray today and placed them directly on the mat. I got to get this down b4 Feb when I'll be starting a few hundred. I looking for one method one that's uniform and cost effective. Does anyone know where to get coco coir pellets?

might try a thermostat for the heatmat
some things work well

please try lots of things for yourself and 'find out the hard way'

if you do not try there ain't no learnin'

2 weeks is still a short time before determining whether your germination technique especially for superhot variety has failed. Like someone mention to me when I first started here "to be a chili grower PATIENCE is the most important thing." Look at past growlogs and see the different methods and time it took for them before actually getting any sprouts anywhere from 2 weeks to a month and certain things member did wrong with their end results that occurred. Then you could use that advice they recieved to adjust your current method if your unstatisfied or feel that method would work for you. To much water is a bad thing. Coco coir pellets you can get them at any Hydro shop I think the one close to my house sells them at 10 cents each, but you could try amazon, ebay, or anyother online garden store. People love pictures here from what I understand. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Guys!! Patience has never been a strong suit lol. But I agree good ol trial and err is the best teacher. Will keep you guys posted thanks!

Merry Christmas

Thanks Guys!! Patience has never been a strong suit lol. But I agree good ol trial and err is the best teacher. Will keep you guys posted thanks!

Merry Christmas

I'd get a thermostat for your heat mat and some peat jiffy's! I wasnt having success without the two! water only to keep moist, usually every two days. I had almost every seed germinate! :) Keep temp set at 82-85

Quick learner mega :)

I agree 100 % with megahot. I have 4 flats, 1 of them does not have a thermostat and it has sprouted half as many as the ones with a thermo, even so though, they are sprouting but I have the flat lifted up with 4 2liter soda caps on each corner. I've done tests on temps with a hydro farm mat and another companies (forget the name) they all were running at 100-115 without a thermostat. If you don't see any sprouts soon you might have cooked them.. anything above 90 ish will fry the seeds. I would not put anything directly on a heat mat without a thermostat.

If your starting a few hundred seeds n need a method that works in detail.. I started 284 Superhots 9 days ago and I had sprouts at the 41/2 day mark. No jiffy pellets, paper towels, coffee filters, zip lock bags.. plain ol' soil n water. I'll be updating today on how many are up and I'm sure it's in the 100's. I've made sure to state every detail that I could about how/what I did. Might be worth checking out since it seems like february you'll be embarking on the same journey I just started ha. Good luck :)

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/26929-bigcedars-superhot-grow-2012/

Brandon

Thanks Big Cedat and Superhot good stuff. Think I need to invest in a thermometer. I was afraid they were not hot enough and placed them directly on the mat ... Oops. I just got some more Bhut Jolokia seeds in the mail today and they look way better than the ones I had. They come from a place that guarantees germination. Might have to start the experiment over based on what you have said. This was supposed to be a 35 seed order I got 70!!! Now that's a Christmas Present !!

Big Cedar WOW !! I am new to this forum (rookie) lol how do I tag your thread as one I want to watch?

Brandon one more thing how are you gonna keep all those from crossing ??

Thermostats are a definite plus for heat mats, but they can be a bit pricey. A low-cost alternative is to use a light dimmer such as this:

http://www.lowes.com...ce|0&facetInfo=

You'll still need a thermometer to guide your setting, but I've had good luck splicing one of these into the heat mat power cord, well, actually, the extension cord the heat mat plugs into.

Back