• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Calabrian Hot Pepper

Does anyone here grow this pepper? There is a member of Tomatoville.com that has lost her seeds. She received them from someone that immigrated from Calabria, Italy. She does have pods left but they have been through the dehydrator and is worried that they will not germinate.

A few years back she helped me find some seed that I was looking for. If I can turn her onto a seed source here, that would be great.

Here is a link. It looks like an Annum and related to a Cayenne.

http://www.tomatovil...7021#post247021

x165.jpg

x158.jpg

As long as the dehydrator was not over 125 degrees, the seed should be viable. Ask her to test a few seeds for germination using the ziplock and paper towel technique.

those peppers don't look like they have been through a dehydrator. +1 on PJ's idea of the paper towel method. If they germinate then you're good to go.

She says the dehydrator ranges from 95-135. I think that she will get something to germinate but if she doesn't, it'd be nice to know of another source.

I'll stick my neck out on this one. It looks like what has been advertised as the Italian "cayenna" (note spelling). There is a chap on eBay selling them now. I've also seen some on "GrowItalian.com." However, note that if you do a Google search some will come up that look more like a Goat Horn type, and some folks seem to use the name interhangeably, though I do not believe that is correct. Good Luck.

I'm bumping this to find out more about the variety. My wife and I came across a recipe calling for them, but often the foodie types aren't particularly well-versed on their peppers. I'm trying to find out if this is an AOC from Calabria, or a generic term for a pepperocini-type, or what flavor and heat it carries if I need to sub a variety.

TIA!

^ Looks like what people call a "Chili pepper" when they don't know the name. Lots of places have peppers that look like this, and I grow some which were called Kung Pao. If these are like the Kung Pao, it is fairly similar to Cayenne or an Arbol chili, but slightly thicker flesh and slightly hotter, and the plant has larger leaves and a more erect shape compared to the more delicate and droopy look of a cayenne plant.

Calabria is a well known italian region for hot peppers, people refers to some varieties with simple names like "long" "round" "slim"...
I've not calabrian seeds in hands at the moment (i'm far north) but you can ask other italian members maybe?
Search AISPES db for some info:

http://www.aispes.org/ricerca-semplice.asp?id=8&l=1

Cya

Datil

Back