• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Worm tea setup evolution

Just wanted to share my worm tea setup. Mine has evolved over the past MONTH lol. I've been reading alot online about worm teas and how they are so good for plants.

Phase 1: I started off with a lowes 5 gallon bucket, using a 60gph pump with cheap aquarium stones. Its a common setup you can find plans for on the internet. A few trys and the stones clogged up, and i returned them.

Phase 2: Since aquarium stones clog up so easy, i decided to use aquarium tubing and putting holes in them, but that did not work because my pump was too weak. So i returned the pump.

Phase 3. I got a 70 liters per minute powerful pump. which is about 1000 GPH lol. Got it for $60 bux from a local hydro. Attached that to my aquarium tube with holes but that did not work well.

Phase 4. I found plans for a PVC based setup where you drill holes into a PVC. I hooked up my new pump and man the water was boiling! Really large bubbles. The tea did not do so well i'm sure because of such large bubbles. Ditch that.

Phase 5. I did some more research and found about these great diffusers that do not clog and are perfect for making worm tea. They are sweetwater air diffusers. I found some 9 inch ones real cheap on ebay. i decided to get a 22gallon container for brewing the worm tea as 5 gallons is too little for all my 70+ plants and fruit trees. Here is my setup:

6 - 9inch sweet water air diffusers with 1/2 NPT connectors to a PVC.
P1020874.jpg

Inside the container. Going to aerate the water to get rid of chlorine and added 1gm of ascorbic acid (pure vitamin C) to get rid of chloramines which are harder to get rid of than chlorine.
P1020876.jpg

A test run, wow, the bubbling is perfect. Very nice. The idea with smaller bubbles is to help coax the microbes/bacteria off the worm castings.
P1020877.jpg

Close up of bubbles, no wonder sweetwater is the industry standard
P1020878.jpg

The pump i got attached to the setup, its in my garage. I also have a aquarium heater to make sure the water is a constant 80.
P1020880.jpg

My final setup, this container is perfect. I used two bamboo sticks to hold the two bags of worm castings. Each paint strainer bag has 4 cups or so of worm castings. Also added some unsulphured blackstrap molasses to feed the microbes.
P1020884.jpg

Lets see if there is any action tommorow (foaming).

sweet! ok will try to emulate this, although on a smaller scale since i dont have enough plants to use it on.

Nice. Pretty much what I do for compost and/or worm tea but I just use the higher grade air stones and and a normal aquarium pump. Very simple yet very effective

Very nice setup. I've been making tea for almost 2 years now and not sure how your air stones got clogged? To this day I still use the same round ball stones and air pump and they haven't gotten clogged one bit. That's after I pulled them out of my 180 gallon tank and put the new ones in that. Either way your system is well improved so it's a big plus I guess.

awesome setup. What kind of pump are you using.

Its the Acitve Aqua 8 Outlet 70LPM Water Pump. Got it locally for 59.99. You can get it from amazon too with free shipping. Its a bit noisy but not too bad.

70 lpm?

STEP IT UP SIR.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAST-CK42HC03J02-1-3HP-VACUUM-PUMP-/221006359849?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item3375016d29

LOL, maybe when i upgrade to a 500 gallon setup ;)

sweet! ok will try to emulate this, although on a smaller scale since i dont have enough plants to use it on.

Yea, they have sweetwater diffusers that are smaller that you can try using. They are more expensive than the traditional air diffusers you find in petco/petsmart, but they do not clog, and if they do, dip them in acid and poof, its like new again :)

Nice. Pretty much what I do for compost and/or worm tea but I just use the higher grade air stones and and a normal aquarium pump. Very simple yet very effective

Thanks, i had a normal pump, but in the heat of trying to get better equipment i got this pump :)

EXtreme bubblage! \m/

\m/ right on guru!

nice setup, which is good to buy?

For the pump, i got a Acitve Aqua 8 Outlet 70LPM Water Pump, you can go one model lower and get the 45 liter pump. For air stones, i recommend the sweetwater air stones. Very nice air distribution coming out of these air stones.

Very nice setup. I've been making tea for almost 2 years now and not sure how your air stones got clogged? To this day I still use the same round ball stones and air pump and they haven't gotten clogged one bit. That's after I pulled them out of my 180 gallon tank and put the new ones in that. Either way your system is well improved so it's a big plus I guess.

Thanks! I think its because either i was using crappy air stones from petsmart/petco, or my pump was not powerful enough so the slime from the microbes/bacteria had a chance to clog them.

Very impressive and I bow to your never say die attitude! Been thinking about whipping up a few gallons of worm tea, this may just be the motivator. Thanks PJ.

Great setup, how do you use the tea? Also, what castings do you use? Do you have a worm farm or do you get bagged?

That is a very nice set up. I just tried it myself first time with a 6 gallon bucket and 3 small aquarium pumps two pumps have to outlets and the other just has one so total 5 small airstones, one in the tea bag and 4 on the bottom and had no where near the bubbles you have going on in yours..
I see other people using a Vortex type tea makers and getting mixed up on which is better??
If you go to a aquarium store and ask about air stones they will tell you that there more for looks then for creating air in the water and that pumps and filters etc which break up the surface water is where you get your oxygen into the water better..
So before i build a bigger one i am going to try to find out more about the Vortex type VS the Bubble type, I have another pump similar to yours i want to use for the bigger tea maker here in a month or so, its a 520W that put out 450L/Min and has a manifold with 28 outlets.
Maybe Microbes feed on the bubbles as they rise?? so the bubble type would be better Or maybe the Vortex type would be more efficient in getting oxygen into the water?? Not sure so any info if you know it would be helpful.
The experts claim that 5 gallons of tea can do treat acre diluted 1 part tea to 5 parts water.
I was very happy with my first batch i made the other day, biggest problem i had was rising foam going over the top of bucket but found out a little cooking oil (not olive oil) drops the foam way down to about nill.

Very impressive and I bow to your never say die attitude! Been thinking about whipping up a few gallons of worm tea, this may just be the motivator. Thanks PJ.

Thanks, yea i was not happy with previous setups, so i am happy with this one ... for now :)

Great setup, how do you use the tea? Also, what castings do you use? Do you have a worm farm or do you get bagged?

I use the worm tea as a foliar and also water the plants with them. I use worm castings, i could not find a fresh source near me, so had to order fresh casting from a farm.

That is a very nice set up. I just tried it myself first time with a 6 gallon bucket and 3 small aquarium pumps two pumps have to outlets and the other just has one so total 5 small airstones, one in the tea bag and 4 on the bottom and had no where near the bubbles you have going on in yours..
I see other people using a Vortex type tea makers and getting mixed up on which is better??
If you go to a aquarium store and ask about air stones they will tell you that there more for looks then for creating air in the water and that pumps and filters etc which break up the surface water is where you get your oxygen into the water better..
So before i build a bigger one i am going to try to find out more about the Vortex type VS the Bubble type, I have another pump similar to yours i want to use for the bigger tea maker here in a month or so, its a 520W that put out 450L/Min and has a manifold with 28 outlets.
Maybe Microbes feed on the bubbles as they rise?? so the bubble type would be better Or maybe the Vortex type would be more efficient in getting oxygen into the water?? Not sure so any info if you know it would be helpful.
The experts claim that 5 gallons of tea can do treat acre diluted 1 part tea to 5 parts water.
I was very happy with my first batch i made the other day, biggest problem i had was rising foam going over the top of bucket but found out a little cooking oil (not olive oil) drops the foam way down to about nill.

All i know is that the tea needs to be well aerated so the aerobic bacteria thrive. If there is not enough oxygen, the bad bacteria will thrive and that can be very harmful for your plants. If you brew smells like fresh sweet earth, great, if it smells rotten or foul, throw it.

Just an update all, here is what my brew looked like before i foliar applied it last night. Its best to apply during the night so beneficial microbes/bacteria have time to do their stuff. They don't like UV rays and plants are also more receptive at night for foliar's i've heard. I also foliar-ed my fruit trees. Lets see how it goes!

There was a lot of foam on the side. THere was so much bubbles being created from the stones, there was no chance for foam to form on the time so they just formed at the sides.

P1020885.jpg

I have also read its important to clean your entire set up afterwards, I used Hydrogen Peroxide and water and ran the set up for a couple hours and scrubbed it to clean it up so it would be ready for the next batch down the road.

hmm, so the residue bubbles on the top is normal. I've been wondering whether i have screwed up somewhere in the middle when brewing.

So could worm tea as well as compost tea replace AF fertz's or use them with each other ? Looks pretty basic to build.. Thanks for the How too.

Back