• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Epsom salt for calcium deficiency

Hi,

Quite a simple question really, what with the epsom salt being used when plants are low on calcium?
From what I've been reading epsom salt doesn't contain a lot of calcium but is rather high on magnesium, am I missing something here?

Another option for Calcium would be to add crushed egg shells. I rinse my egg shells and save them in a big zip-lock bag. When I have a good amount saved I pulverise them in my Silver Bullet blender, scatter around the plants and water in. They're also good, crushed to 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces, if you have a problem with slugs.

I fullheartedly agree with what you guys are saying, yet I do see epsom salt being recommended a lot as a fast solution when plants are showing calcium deficiency, I just wanted to know what's up with that and if it is a worthy alternative or whatever.

Also, while I'm at it, what's your opinion on milk being sprayed on plant leaves for calcium intake and pest control?

I fullheartedly agree with what you guys are saying, yet I do see epsom salt being recommended a lot as a fast solution when plants are showing calcium deficiency, I just wanted to know what's up with that and if it is a worthy alternative or whatever.

Also, while I'm at it, what's your opinion on milk being sprayed on plant leaves for calcium intake and pest control?

http://en.wikipedia....gnesium_sulfate

Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulfate. There is 0 calcium in it. Whoever is recommending it for calcium deficiency is wrong.

Edit: What I said above is not entirely true (the part about the person(s) being wrong who recommend it for deficiency). I made a blanket statement and I am wrong about it. As RedtailForester pointed out below, it can help to increase the uptake of calcium. So you can use it alongside a calcium supplement to allow the plant to rapidly consume the calcium and correct the deficiency.

I wouldnt spray milk on the plants....milk + warm temps = spoilage. I would think spoiled milk would cause pests to swarm instead of keeping them at bay. Just my opinion

Apparently only about 1/3rd of the calcium in milk is in a form usable by the plant and there is a lot of fat that needs to be broken down which would likely become rancid

I wouldnt spray milk on the plants....milk + warm temps = spoilage. I would think spoiled milk would cause pests to swarm instead of keeping them at bay. Just my opinion

Mind you I'm not talking about pure milk, I'm talking about low-fat milk dilluted in water (about 1/10).

This is a quote from another website (was about tomatoes):

Milk spray
Milk diluted in water is used as fungicide by some gardeners because of its active substances and microorganisms that prevent pathogen-causing-disease to multiply. Sour milk and goat's milk are found to encourage the growth of stronger protective coatings on crucifers.
How to prepare

Mix ½ liter of milk to 4.5 liters of water (Milk and water ratio is 1 part milk to 9 parts water). Spray at weekly interval as a preventive control measure.
Pest controlled
  • Red spider mites
  • Mildew
  • Mosaic virus
  • Blights
  • and other fungal diseases

Apparently only about 1/3rd of the calcium in milk is in a form usable by the plant and there is a lot of fat that needs to be broken down which would likely become rancid

Have you got a source for that, and if that is really the case, isn't it still worth considering using milk as it is quite high in calcium and 1/3rd of it would still be enough for plants to get what they need?

I'm not sure of the source or the truth behind it, I just remember hearing it. I'll so some looking
I've also heard of powdered milk being used for tomatoes, but I believe most calcium deficiencies are not due to not enough cacium, its just often locked-out or not readily usable by the plant

If your plants need calcium, maybe just sprinkle a bit of garden lime on top and water in?

I'm actually disappointed at my searches for Calcium deficiency remedies as all I am finding is speculation, with no solutions!  I do know this.  Lime, eggshells, limestone, etc. won't work.  My soil is high in Ca.  The problem is it's not available to the plant in these forms.  Bone meal is mostly this way too - but sometimes there are other forms of Ca in it that may be absorbed better.  Epson salts have no Ca, but again as stated above may help make CA available or be transported, and you may have Mg issues too?  Though some sites state that too much Mg can make Ca less available! Milk - not sure on the Ca part - probably not enough in it as a spray?  But it's perfectly OK to spray on plants.  I've used it for powdery mildew and it worked on some plants and did not on others, but no ill effects.  I watered it down = about 1:4 milk to water.  I don't have the perfect answer, even sites where speculation is not the main way of communication, there seems no great answers.  I will try Calcium chloride (I have some bulk form for pickle making and brewing), and Epson salts and see.  I'm not even sure the problem is Ca deficiency with my plants!

^^^ also, vinegar breaks down dolomitic lime to a usable form  faster, and brings it's high PH more into balance, not a big concern though imho.

But as Potawie said, there is usually enough calcium in the ground already,  unlike nitrogen. But certain conditions will cause a plant to lock it out, such as overwatered soil. And if that is the case, addressing the cause of nutrient lock-out should be done first, less overall watering but on a more consistent basis.

Container plants are a whole different animal though. Even though pepper plants don't need much fertilizer, container plants often need a few boosts before the season ends, it all depends.

I've been getting blossom end rot on my tomatoes and was looking up this same thing.  If you use extra ferts during fruiting, avoid ferts with AMMONIACAL Nitrogen.  I guess it's ok for regular growth, but blocks calcium if your plant is fruiting.  If it has nitrogen make sure there is more NITRATE Nitrogen.  It Should break it down on the Analysis portion of the package.

If you don't already know it... find out your soil pH. Peppers like soil in the neutral to slightly acidic range, and if the pH is too high, it'll lock out the calcium and some other nutes. I found that out this spring when I added Dolomitic Lime to ProMix that was already buffered to pH neutral. It kicked the pH up to about 7.6 and caused chlorosos in the leaves of my chiles until I repotted with fresh soil.

Back