• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

pepperdan's Glog 2012

little background, always been a somewhat pepper head, to the point of carrying bottles of hotsauce everywhere, local grocery store started carrying orange habaneros, i eat 1-2 each morning with hash rounds and egg whites for breakfast, started making hot sauce awhile back, and got bit by the bug, gotta sweat at least once a day, and it being the off season i got a late start, and planned on over wintering, but turned into indoor growing due to stupid hot weather in the midwest this year

purchased an aerogarden at a goodwill for 20 bucks, thought i would start there, ordered some bhut jolokia's and scotch bonnets from pepper joes, after reading reviews i decided to go with him, i liked his replies to some negative comment

so on with it

photo-11.jpg

june 14th

photo-17.jpg

at this point i started looking into dwc hydroponics

built my first couple of buckets, and installed a couple of cheap wally world grow lights under my desk

photo-19.jpg

photo-20.jpg

few weeks later, and i added a drip sytem

photo-19-1.jpg

about 5 weeks in, i picked up a cheap 400 watt mh on c-list, picked a corner in my utility room, a few scotch bonnets in soil with the mix

took the sb out of hydro, and dedicated it to the bhuts, because the require vastly differents needs, and then tied 6 units into one with a resivoir so i can test ph and ec in on bucket

DSCN1062.jpg

now i have really started to prepare for having peppers fresh for breakfast by christmas, upgraded to a bigger light, and they are taking off like crazy

8-18-12

DSCN1077.jpg

DSCN1082.jpg

DSCN1069.jpg

my goal is to have peppers all winter, and use the seeds to go pretty big out doors next summer, right now i have 6 bhut jolokia's in hydro, 1 soil {no comparison}, 5 scotch bonnets in soil, 2 thai dragons just started in hydro, under 1000 watt mh , plenty of light to go around

ph 6, tds 600 +/- which put my ec at 1.2 using cns17

this is one plant, second part of one in upper right

DSCN1102-1.jpg

there is about 14 flower/pods in focus in this pic

DSCN1117.jpg

typical undergrowth on my hydro plants

DSCN1118.jpg

Reactions: nee
Your grow is fantastic. Your plants look absolutely wonderful. I wish I had the room and the knowledge to do a hydro grow so I could have peppers year round. I just dont have the room so its seasonal growing for me. Are you going to continue making sauces only or are you also going to do powders?

Your grow is fantastic. Your plants look absolutely wonderful. I wish I had the room and the knowledge to do a hydro grow so I could have peppers year round. I just dont have the room so its seasonal growing for me. Are you going to continue making sauces only or are you also going to do powders?

thank you very much, if you have room for a 5 gallon bucket you can have peppers year round

i prefer fresh raw peppers, then sauce, then powder, sometimes all three at same time :onfire:

Man, this makes me want to try DWC again, i tried b efore but nothing like that, but i think my airstone wasnt strong enought,, but good looking plants there. And who are you using as a fertlizer?

Man, this makes me want to try DWC again, i tried b efore but nothing like that, but i think my airstone wasnt strong enought,, but good looking plants there. And who are you using as a fertlizer?

i am using cns17 due to its low npk formula i tried it first, i keep it between 500-600ppm and ph at 6

airstones are important, you need a min of 40gph of air for each bucket, i am running 4x that with a 1,000gph pump split between 6 buckets, each bucket has 2, 2" oxystones in it, i started with a wal-mart dual auqa pumps each bucket, when i made the jump to the bigger pump growth just exploded, leaves where reaching for the lights most of the day vs just morning, they are sucking up several gallons a day now

90 days from sowing seed, i found this when hand polinating

DSCN1123.jpg

along with some damage i am pretty sure is broad mites, at least the little sob's could trade food for pollinating, but noooo

i have neem oil at the ready for tonight when the lights go out, i am going to hose it down

Amazing looking plants and awesome setup! I should really do my research since I have a basement with plenty of room for such a venture. I started 200 plants in the basement this spring but would love a few hydro for year round enjoyment.

thanks guys

i'll update some pics tomorrow, i would be more than happy to share anything i have learned, super hots are an entire new world from growing anything else

i have an average of 20 bucks a bucket, thats with the upgraded 1000 gph air pump, and just switched to a hps bulb with blue spectrum today, so it increased the light by 30% and allowed me to raise the light a few inches to protect from over heating the top of the canopy, 145,000 lumens in a 4x6 area thats 6,000 lumens per foot

HORTILUX™ SUPER HPS

shps.jpg

i chose that one because it has more blues than traditional hps and i wont have to worry about chlorophyll production, i also switched to a lower nitrogen higher phosphorus nute due to some flower drop, hope it works out

this is the same pepper pictured above 6 days ago

DSCN1203.jpg

the entire plant

DSCN1199.jpg

DSCN1204.jpg

my morning view while drinking coffee
DSCN1201.jpg

here you can see 5 of 6 plants in a recirculating dwc, and 1 in soil

DSCN1200.jpg

DSCN1197.jpg

DSCN1196.jpg

That is one awesome setup you have. I wish I had that kind of knowledge. I have to step my game up. Studyingggg timeeee

this is my biggest plant on the left of the dollar, was the second, but shot up and spread out

DSCN1284.jpg

group shot, thats about 8' across

DSCN1280.jpg
waiting to become flowers

DSCN1285.jpg

flower just opened waiting on stigma

DSCN1279.jpg

nice open and producing plenty of pollen

DSCN1288.jpg

wow..... sick sick sick.... are all of your plants bhuts?

lol is that a good "sick sick sick"?, yes those are all bhuts, i had some scotch bonnets, but removed them, apparently they do not work well under the same ph-nute ratio requirements as the bhuts

Nice grow, Dan. You have packed a lot into a small space!

Back