• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Harvest Cooking with Stickman

The growing season's pretty much done here except for a few cool weather crops. Time to see what we can make with the fruits of our harvest.

Today is a cold, rainy day and we have company coming for supper. I'm baking whole wheat bread with buttermilk and honey, and making Queso Fundido and a Moroccan vegetable soup called Harira that we like a lot.
SANY0125.jpg

The uncut chiles are to identify what's in the cut pile. I toasted the garlic in a dry frying pan before including in the recipe.

SANY0126.jpg

saute the onions in butter, toss in the garlic and some flour and make a roux. Add milk and whisk while heating until thickened. Stir in a cup of chopped tomatoes and the minced peppers and drop the heat to low while adding the shredded cheese a little at a time and allowing it to melt before adding more.

SANY0127.jpg

When the cheese is all melted, stir in cilantro, salt and pepper to taste...

SANY0128.jpg

and kick it up to where you want it with chile powder. Lastly, stir in a little sour cream. Done!

That there is a pan of GOLD stickman!!!!

Can't wait to see the bread and soup!!!!!

Your supper company is very, very lucky!!!!!! :D
Thanks LV... I'm afraid it took a big hit when I tasted it... Half a big bag of chips later it was half gone! I had to restrain myself so there would be some left for later... Oops!

I could sooo mau on that right now. that looks great!

I'd be making a smothery omelette with that.

or a hot dog.

or chips and Salsa.

or a facial.
Hi Scovie!
If there's any left tomorrow I'll try your suggestion of a smothery omelette or on top of Huevos Rancheros. Shoot... if you warm it up in the microwave before setting it out, everybody who has some will have a facial... ;)

Bread ready to rise...
SANY0131.jpg

Will there be photodoc of the Harira? ;) We've just begun our Moroccan home cooking adventure ...
Hi Grant
Sure will.. here we go...
SANY0134.jpg

Diced an onion and 2 stalks of celery and sauted in 3 tbsp of vegetable oil for 3 minutes.

SANY0135.jpg

diced a carrot and a small potato, added them and cooked another minute

SANY0136.jpg

In a coffee grinder, ground up a half tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp coriander seed, 1 tsp turmeric and a quarter tsp of my gochu garu. cooked for 5 minutes.

SANY0137.jpg

Added 4 small tomatoes, chopped, a cup of V8 juice, 4 cups of vegetable broth and let it simmer until the vegetables were almost tender Added a small diced zucchini and a half cup of orzo (broken up spaghetti will do). Cooked until pasta was tender and added a quarter cup of lemon juice, a cup of cooked chickpeas and salt and pepper to taste. Simmered 2 minutes and served with chopped parsley, red bell pepper strips and chopped fresh mint for garnishes.

Harira looks good. I could use some of my scotch bonnet powder in there. My co-worker gave me
a knorr seasoning, it is Sinigang na may Sili. I'm going to try and make it when it gets colder here.
Right now we are still in the 70-80's, not exactly soup weather.

ahahahahaha double post!
just ribbin ya.

looks awesome man! I love the spice/flavor profile.
Shoot... you're right.... Hafta do something about that... Cheers

Harira looks good. I could use some of my scotch bonnet powder in there. My co-worker gave me
a knorr seasoning, it is Sinigang na may Sili. I'm going to try and make it when it gets colder here.
Right now we are still in the 70-80's, not exactly soup weather.
Hi Linda
I didn't think of baking bread and making soup until we got a cold, rainy day here, so I hear ya... I didn't know that the Knorr people were into chile seasonings. Please let us know what it was like when you try it.

My wife is off to a Shaped Note singing convention this morning, Last night she baked a favorite of ours for the potluck there at noon... spoon bread made with canned corn, canned cream-style corn and corn meal muffin mix with cheese and pickled Jalapeno slices on top.

Looking tatsy Rick. Maybe by December I will get in the soup mode :rofl:
Hi Jamie
Yeah, I think you might have a week or two left to BBQ season... :P Actually, we do too as long as the weather cooperates... I'm gonna fire up the grill today to smoke another batch of red-ripe Jalapenos. I got 'em from a farmstand nearby. They said they got the seed from a company in PA called Seedway, and it's a variety called Tormenta. Boy, it sure is hot! That's the variety I used to make my smoked Jalapeno BBQ sauce. This batch I'm going to dry and grind for Chipotle powder. The other thing on the agenda today is to make Cubed Radish Kimchi (Kakduki) with the radishes I pulled from my garden this morning.

Pulled some Korean Radishes, Scallions and Mustard Greens from the garden today, and now it's time to make a cubed radish kimchi called Kakduki.
SANY0139.jpg

These are the core ingredients... Napa Cabbage, Korean Radish, Scallions, Garlic, Ginger, Salted Shrimp, shucked Oysters, Mustard Greens and Gochu garu.The beer is for the cook...

SANY0140.jpg

Veggies chopped up and the cabbage and radish cubes salted and allowed to sit for 15 minutes. Then added a couple tablespoons of gochu garu to the radish mixture and let it sit while making rice paste...

SANY0142.jpg

Cooked 2 tbsp of sticky rice flour with a cup of water to make this paste...

SANY0143.jpg

Salted Shrimp (saeu chot)... I chopped this up very fine and stirred it into the rice paste with a couple more tablespoons of gochu garu, then let it cool

SANY0145.jpg

Stirred the paste, lemon juice, sugar, chopped oysters and chopped veggies together ..

SANY0146.jpg

And packed it into jars. Wiped up the remaining sauce with whole cabbage leaves and packed the contents of the jars down with the leaves., Rinsed the mixing bowl out with a little tap water and poured it over the cabbage leaves, making sure there was room for expansion. I'll leave the jars out on the counter at room temperature for 2-3 days until the brine has the tang I like, then I'll refrigerate them. They'll be ready to eat in a few weeks.

Great cooking thread Rick!

I'm running out of ideas how to use those hot peppers, so I will be cheking your input here ;)

Great cooking thread Rick!

I'm running out of ideas how to use those hot peppers, so I will be cheking your input here ;)
Hi Robert, Thanks for stopping by.

Do you have any regional dishes that use hot peppers? What kinds do they grow out your way?

Croatia or the whole Balkan region is not well known for specific hot dishes, but we use hot peppers to spice up our food. Sweet peppers are more popular here.

When it comes to fiery food hot ajvar is something you should try. In fact, every chilehead should try hot ajvar.
Ajvar is originally made in Macedonia with sweet peppers, but you can make a hot version by adding a few hot peppers.
Here are some recipes:
http://www.mymacedoniankitchen.com/?p=1194
http://www.grouprecipes.com/16328/macedonian-ajvar-roasted-red-pepper-spread.html
http://www.acanadianfoodie.com/2011/09/01/preserving-the-ancient-tradition-of-ajvar-making-from-the-balkans/

If you get a chance you should try it. In fact, every chile head should try hot ajvar :D

I made 15 jars of hot ajvar last week :)
I follow the third recipe, but I add one medium sized eggplant on two kilos of peppers.

Croatia or the whole Balkan region is not well known for specific hot dishes, but we use hot peppers to spice up our food. Sweet peppers are more popular here.

When it comes to fiery food hot ajvar is something you should try. In fact, every chilehead should try hot ajvar.
Ajvar is originally made in Macedonia with sweet peppers, but you can make a hot version by adding a few hot peppers.
Here are some recipes:
http://www.mymacedon...hen.com/?p=1194
http://www.groupreci...per-spread.html
http://www.acanadian...om-the-balkans/

If you get a chance you should try it. In fact, every chile head should try hot ajvar :D

I made 15 jars of hot ajvar last week :)
I follow the third recipe, but I add one medium sized eggplant on two kilos of peppers.
Excellent...I've been looking for a way to use the last of the eggplant in my garden before I pull them up to make room for the winter greens! Thanks Robert!

I passed on your links to Ajvar making to a few people here who I thought would like it. We'll see what happens there, but I'm planning on making some to put away for the winter. I just have to get on it this weekend. The weather forecast for this week is fairly decent, but the overnight temps are supposed to drop into the low 40s after that... with temps in the 30s soon to follow.

Back