• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

stc3248 said:
May be it for my grow folks...the Santa Annas are tossing my containers around like toys out there...gusts up near 100. Terrible weather almost everywhere today...Fingers crossed for you if you're getting hit too...
Ouch! I hope you got a good pic of the Birgit before the winds hit! Sorry to hear it for your sake, but I think maybe your wife isn't as disappointed as you are?...

Went outside to check on the girls after my post a few minutes ago and quickly ran back to share what I do for hurricanes. What doesn’t fit in the garage which is all but 3 big gals I trim, lay down up against out fence and if the winds are going to be too strong I rope them up. Not sure if it’s too late or you don’t want the added work but I’ve saved most like that. Only bad thing is the pests harbor in them easier but nothing a good neeming won’t take care of after da squall … good luck brethren.

Hope your plants survive.  I thought I was going to get damaging wind (nothing like the Santa Annas) here with the front that is passing through, but so far, it's just been rain.

Thanks folks...hope all the crazy weather isn't doing any of y'all harm. Severe weather nation wide today. Gulf coast under tropical storm warnings and midwest under several feet of snow or under tornado watches...

Ramon, I would move the plants to shelter if I could, but the one drawback of me running my drip system through the containers is if I want to move them I will have to cut all my drip lines. So...if they make it they make it...but if they don't, EFF-IT!!! My freezer is full the the top already!!!

Sorry for the blurry pics, but the wind was really whipping!!!
SV32Nrv.jpg

JO05t36.jpg

Lp4bvcN.jpg

QHy3toe.jpg

Lp4bvcN.jpg

Only total loss so far is the Bubblegum 7...snapped off clean at the base but the good news so far...

d4dK0WP.jpg

The big Birgits is holding its own...

Again, "like this" not for the damage as I see you have a lot of work on your hands :/ But more for you amigo, heart goes out to you as I was looking forward to seeing your December pics ... That said, I think if the winds die you should be able to salvage a lot if you want to keep da grow on. Have a great weekend brethren ...

Edit: Great to see da tall chick pulling through like a champ :)

WalkGood said:
Again, "like this" not for the damage as I see you have a lot of work on your hands :/ But more for you amigo, heart goes out to you as I was looking forward to seeing your December pics ... That said, I think if the winds die you should be able to salvage a lot if you want to keep da grow on. Have a great weekend brethren ...

Edit: Great to see da tall chick pulling through like a champ :)
+1 on that! I hope things have wound down for you by now so you can secure the area before the next blow. Cheers!

Dang, Shane! But I'm with Ramon and Rick on this (furthermore, that Birgit would survive Dorothy's event without concussion): I think you'll salvage just fine. Lotta work; am sorry. Weather is crazy. Hit 92 here yesterday. Almost record high for Oct. I'll take it but feel for everybody else, esp. Midwest since they were batting in 100's few weeks ago. Peppers tough; Shane tougher. But am sorry about clean-up, fix-ups aka more work on weekend off. But true; short version of "Serenity Prayer" is "Eff it!" but don't think you'll have to go there. Much love and appreciation, hon!

I got them all upright again out there...A ton of lost pods, some lost branches, lost leaves, but only the Bubblegum is a goner...didn't start any cuttings, but I do already have some seedlings working on their second or third set of true leaves. Major setback in my isolation project though...many of the pods I had isolated were lost before ripe...oh well. I got more than I can handle anyway!!! Hope to take some pics later today.

stc3248 said:
I got them all upright again out there...A ton of lost pods, some lost branches, lost leaves, but only the Bubblegum is a goner...didn't start any cuttings, but I do already have some seedlings working on their second or third set of true leaves. Major setback in my isolation project though...many of the pods I had isolated were lost before ripe...oh well. I got more than I can handle anyway!!! Hope to take some pics later today.
Sorry you have to go through all that, brother.  Maybe having them
in pots is a blessing, they mostly just fall over instead of breaking off.  
I have a feeling that in a couple of weeks we'll all be going 'wha...?'
when we see your update!  Your grow looks just great this season,
buddy - just like I knew it would.  I haven't been here for a while, but
looking at your last update, it's like I never missed a beat.  Good job,
jedi pepperman!

Sorry to hear about the BBG7.  Tough with all that wind.  Looking at your shot - I wonder, would it be better to run out and tip the plants all on their sides when the heavy winds started?  That's just crazy.  Glad you made it through with minimal damage.

Damn man! That is some crazy weather. Gonna have to move all those containers or you are gonna have to clean out the pool filter like 5 times a day!

It was a crazy ride and a banner season for ya though!

Pulpiteer said:
Sorry to hear about the BBG7.  Tough with all that wind.  Looking at your shot - I wonder, would it be better to run out and tip the plants all on their sides when the heavy winds started?  That's just crazy.  Glad you made it through with minimal damage.
I tip mine over when we get thunderstorms that have high winds. It works great.

annie57 said:
But true; short version of "Serenity Prayer" is "Eff it!" but don't think you'll have to go there.
That is the short,short version. The version used today is the short version.

Where the piccy's at brother? I have been MIA in glogs for awhile and figured I had atleast an hour of catching up to do here.

stc3248 said:
Yeah sorry everyone...doing my best but just too damn busy. I have a three day this weekend so I should be able to do something!!!
Take your time brethren, I understand ... busy here too, only took a break from helping my sisters at our parental units house to feed da boys and now I have to go back. Hopefully I'll get to some unique infused powder later as I already have every ting ready to blend

Hab a great day, looking forward to your update once you have time :)

Wow Shane, that was a sad picture. Sorry to hear about the weather. Birgy is a beast holding it's own. Hope the best for ya man!

Back