• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Overcrowded Danish Glog - More pics less talk

Hi out there! I thought i would try to make a glog this year!

I live in Denmark so i don't have the best climate for peppers compared to most of the people in here. Also i'm a student so i can't afford to buy lights, heatmats and so on. That's why i thought i would make a glog about growing chili pretty cheap without all the pro hightech gear.

I have little garden where i will try to grow my first outdoors chili. I have my windowsill where i can grow up to six small plants. And hopefully i can borrow a greenhouse from my parents in law again this year.

Since i don't have a heat mat i am trying to germinate my seeds in ziplock bags on the radiator. I have put far more seeds to germination than i have space for because i'm not sure how good a germination rate i will get. I can always give excess plants away.

Last year was a mixed succes. The plants i my windowsill grew really great but the greenhouse is a couple of km away, so i didn't water and nute the plants often enough. Of course that resulted in some plants only giving a few fruits a some plants no fruits.

Roughly i have started 160 of 31 different kinds. I am planning on keeping one of each 27 kinds 22 kinds, the rest will be given away if possible.

Grow List:
C Chocolate Bhut 1 Own seeds Never sprouted
C Chocolate Bhut 2 Own seeds Give away
C CGN21500 x ? 1 Own seeds Give away
C CGN21500 x ? 2 Own seeds Give away
A Naga Jolkia Tezpur PC-1 bhutjolokia.eu Give away
B Blondie barney.dk
A Numex Twilight Private seller Give away
A Goats Weed semillas.de Give away
A Barbere Coffee Brown bhutjolokia.eu
A Chilhuacle Negro bhutjolokia.eu
C Bhut Orange Copenhagen 1 barney.dk
C Bhut Orange Copenhagen 2 barney.dk Give away
C Bhut jolokia peach Private seller
C 7pod yellow brainstain Private seller
C 7pod Jonah Private seller Weak --> Compost
C Aji Brown örtagården Never sprouted
C Habanero White bhutjolokia.eu
C Cappuchino Habanero Private seller
C Harold St. Bart barney.dk Never sprouted
C Habanero Naranja Picante barney.dk
C Cheiro do Norte (Mild) barney.dk
C Numex Suave Orange barney.dk
B Peppadew Private seller Give away
Ch C. Chacoense örtagården
P Brun Rocoto örtagården
P Mini Rocoto (probably crossed) semillas.de
P Mini Rocoto F2 Own seeds
P Rocoto de Seda Private seller
P Rocoto Grande Picante bhutjolokia.eu
P Rocoto Peru Cusco bhutjolokia.eu
B Aji Golden Private seller Never sprouted

Impressive list, considering you plan on growing in the windowsill until spring. I usually move the plants to the greenhouse early May.

Looking forward to see how well you'll do with outdoor growing. My success is not worth copying :(

I know :D the list is probably too long to fit in my windowswill. I will figure it out... :)

What did you (try to) grow outside?

What did you (try to) grow outside?

Hot Hungarian Wax and Aji lemon Drop. In the good years I got a bit less pods than on the green house siblings. In the bad years hardly anything. Might try again this year with surplus plants, in case we get a super summer :cool:

Quite a list, good luck with the startup. At least you had a go with the windowsill grow last year so you know what to expect .

I like you selection of Capsicum pubescens varieties.
I am also trying the varieties from bhutjolokia.eu this year for the first time .

P Mini Rocoto (probably crossed) semillas.de
Mini Rocoto ( PI387838) is a really original pubescens Varietie with real old genetics for that it tends to mutate and cross really easy. Have over 50 difftent types that I selected over the years. How did yours turn out ?

greetings from Germany

Alexander

How did yours turn out ?

It was a really nice plant! An ok producer even under my far-from-perfect conditions. It grew really fast and had maybe around 30 pods. The pods were red, about the size and shape of an egg and had a little bud where the pod was attached to the stem. Looked a lot like your P429 (facebook) just red.

Hot Hungarian Wax and Aji lemon Drop. In the good years I got a bit less pods than on the green house siblings. In the bad years hardly anything. Might try again this year with surplus plants, in case we get a super summer :cool:

I will almost consider it a succes if i get any fruit outside :D I don't have high expectations, but it would be great to find a way to make it work outside.

That happend to me a few times with that variety out of diffrent sources.
My P429 is also a selection out of over 50 diffrent Mini Rocoto crosses that I grew in 2009 and 2010

Greetings

Alexander

I think i have figuered out how to post images. This is a graph of my germination. https://www.dropbox....8tu3/eG_gH8G5Vw

I am using the papertowel i a zipbag method. First I put 6 varieties to germination to see if the temp. was ok. Some sprouted so i planted the rest some days later. I am not impressed by the sprouting so far considering i have a total of 160 seeds in germination but I'm still optimistic. I am using so many seeds because i probably won't get a high germination rate anyway.

Hey Welcome to the forum and i love you grow list! Im pretty interested in the bhut orange copenhagens. Cant wait to see how your go. I have not heard to much about them but they seem cool. Best of luck with your grow!

Hey Welcome to the forum and i love you grow list! Im pretty interested in the bhut orange copenhagens. Cant wait to see how your go. I have not heard to much about them but they seem cool. Best of luck with your grow!

Thanks! BOC is a variety in the making. It's only F3, so they are varying a lot. I'm hoping my BOC will be something we can use in the future breeding.

100_5470_zps1f45752b.jpg

This is how it looked a few days ago.

And this is my setup: zipbags with papertowel on a radiator. When they germinate i put them in the mini greenhouse. When they've sproutet up there i'll take them out.

100_5461_zps8985a68a.jpg

This is the sproutet seeds i have put into my mini greenhouse
Germination5feb_zps83adb9bd.png

I'll post some photos from last year now i'm posting photos anyway
This is Capsicum chinense "Aji Dulce" bought from semillas.de
100_5100_zps3079bc5b.jpg

100_5180_zpsc5253b14.jpg

100_5103_zpsa7acb32c.jpg

This is Capsicum chinense "Chocolate Bhut Jolokia" bought as a plant from toftegaards-gartneri.dk
100_5127_zps56b7c4bb.jpg

100_5179_zps8f9d57af.jpg

Great list. I expect you will need a shelf infront of your window eventually. A shelf of healthy babies makes for a better view anyway right? Your Chocolate Bhut looked nice and gnarly last year. Good luck this year!

Great lineup! - really liked the pictures from last year... You know how to use a camera ;-)

I will follow this log...

Held og lykke... ;-)

THANKS!

I'm getting a little worried. I bagged the seeds january the 25'th, so they have been on the radiator for 17 days and only 23 % have germinated yet. I have 14 varieties in the mini greenhouse now, but I'm still missing 17. I don't know the temp and that's propably the problem?

Not surprising the easiest seeds have been annuum's, the hardest has been pubescens and chinense. No superhots have germed yet. The baccattums has been ok.

THANKS!

. I don't know the temp and that's propably the problem?

Here's a way that might help you this. This fit under a 2" dome tray. I used one of these before I got a thermostat for my heat mat. Just adjusted the dome accordingly to alter the temp. Place it inside the germ tray standing up so can see. It's a cheap way of atleast knowing the temp.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Mini-Thermometer/16888907

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwazyskwerl/8460754811/in/photostream

That or try one of those cheap Oral Thermometers stuck into the grow mix.

Anyways. Nice pics and good luck this year with your grow.

I just bought a cheap thermometer and apparently i boiled my seeds with 35+ degrees (celcius) :onfire: :rofl:
Super stupid rookie mistake, but used exactly the same procedure last year and it worked perfectly then.

I'll resow some and let some be. I already have 14 varieties:
a Naga Jolkia Tezpur PC-1
a Numex Twilight
a Goats Weed
a Barbere Coffee Brown
a Chilhuacle Negro
b Blondie
b Peppadew
b Aji Golden
c CGN21500 x?1
c Bhut Orange Copenhagen
c Habanero Naranja Picante
c Cheiro do Norte (Mild)
p Brun Rocoto
p Rocoto Grande Picante

Wow!
Lowering the temp. really helped! I found a electrical thermometer so I know the excact temperature.
I've already had 4 sproutings on 2 days, compared to zero for the last five days :D

Back