• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another one of my many questions

Okay, well after getting all my lights set up I noticed today, the plants first full day under the lights, this TOMATO plant, not pepper, which I have gotten from tomato growers, and is called white queen (produces white tomatos) has become .. tilted or wilted? The soil it is in is well drained and lots of air easily gets to it. There is no sign of fungus what so ever, and the plants are being watered regularly, but not to much. Its a type I have never grown before, and its leaves on the underside are a beautiful purple. Now my question is, ruling out fungus because there is another plant in the pot, and it is doing fine, and the watering situation, would it be because it is the plants first day under these 6500k and 3000k lights? From switching to a dinky CFL set up to this set up is a big difference, and I dont know if these lights could have an effect on that? My other plants are doing fine, so I'm not quite sure.

2-2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture, my digi cam as I have said is lost in the oblivion which I call my room. So my question is, can switching from a crappy light set up to a decent light set up cause any problems like this?

Straticus,

I have never personally tried that variety but, with my tomato plants I did notice that right after I transplanted them they wilted but sat straight up in about 12 hours afterwards. Did you just transplant? Also if you are fertalizing what kind and how often?

Paul

No its been in that pot for a good week or so, but under a crappy light source so Im not sure if it has anything to do with that. No I havent been using fertilizer but I may soon have to if it stays like this. I just gave it a real good watering, and I'll have to see what happens. I hate seeing my babys like this :(

could be the light change, kinda shocked it when it received stronger light...but then again, it looks wilted to me because of lack of water...

What ye say "others"?

Yea, it was really stupid of me to think otherwise, I gave it a really really nice healthy dose of some water and it turned right back up :) One of my moments

not stupid....like me, you are learning to grow peppers...and all the knowledge you need is here among the members of this forum...best source of pepper knowledge I have ever found.....

yea, its very great I appreciate everyones help very much. Its just like instead of me thinking like I normally should, I think about all these other possibilities , when really, it just needed more water.

protective mother syndrome Strat...I am the same way...if I see a leaf curled and can't figure out what it is, I take a picture and ask the experts here....my babies will end up being hypocondriacs......

to tell you the truth you can find everything on deficiencies, over fertilizing and mold/bacteria whatever but over/underwatering is the most common problem plants have ; ). no problem dude everyone does it you'll find out your own rhythm if you grow the same types of plants long enough, it's great.

yea I know, I see one little tiny thing wrong with one of my plants and its like I get right on here no matter what it is, to check and see what it is. A lot of the symptoms can mean a lot of different things, so thats why sometimes its hard for me to figure out. One more question, I have yet to get a small fan to put on my shelf for them, and I'm only using my ceiling fan for air circulation. Being on a shelf they obviously dont get that much air to them, so I'm wondering, is a small van very beneficial? When I grew them years ago I never used anything besides my ceiling fan, which doesnt do much, just wondering what anyones suggestions are on the van situation. Thanks

Dan

I like the idea of a small van better....I can picture you driving down the road in a mini-cooper or something and holding the plant out the window...

As long as they get some good air circulation about an hour a day, they should be fine so yes, a small fan is good. I got one at walmart that was 11.87 and it oscolates....

I will give you an example of today for me...I came home for lunch and put my "cutback" orange outside for about 20 minutes...it was 72F when I came home...then quickly forgot it and left it in the direct sunlight until I got home at 4:00 pm...that was 4 hours in the sun....I was upset...here is a photo of the plant when I got home....notice how wilted the lower leaves are...

wiltedhab1600022008hx5.jpg

and here is a photo 2 hours later...seems they have recovered nicely...

022008f001jy8.jpg

seems they are hardy plants (thats what everyone tells me)

you're plants are not going to suffocate without the fan, it will however give you nice strong stems. i use a dollar store fan that takes one AA battery but i'm starting to think i should buy a bigger one actually, the plants used to sway a little now they just sort of vibrate. they just sit there and jiggle, it's funny to watch but i think i've reached the maximum benefit i can acheive from this fan...

Yea, I guess a fan would be a good idea. Im not as worried about a strong stem as I am with fungus, but I guess thats killing 2 birds with 1 stone :)

Glad to hear you plant bounced back. I'm also a little overprotective of my "babies" and my wife just thinks that I have gone and lost all sense. LOL She just doesn't get it... It sure is great to find a place where everyone has the same Passion/Obsession.

Paul

I bought those seeds too but I just planted them 2 days ago. No sprouts yet.
I agree with everyone else on here. Improve airflow & give it more time to adjust to the new light. I jave one Gold Bullet that's been shying away from the new light source I put up this past Sunday. The others are loving it.

Back