• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is Worm Tea Enough For Entire Grow?

First time grower. I have a mix of about 2/3 bag of Happy Frog, 2/3 bag of Ocean Forrest and 1/3 bag of worm castings as potting mix. By my math that's 4 to 1. I also feed with worm tea by just throwing water and worm castings in a container, give it a good stir and water with it every now and again. I also use a little epsom salt spray every now and again. Is this going to get me through an entire grow or am i gonna need to plan on other nutrients down the line? Any suggestions are welcome thanks.
I plan on using the same mix thru the entire grow. Also only planning to grow 6 or 7 plants in 5 gallon containers outside after moving them from my inside lighting. thanks

While it's entirely possible, there are too many variables to tell with any certainty. You would need a crystal ball!

I have successfully grown habanero plants in 1 gallon pots just using promix bx without any nutrients/fertilizers added during the season. They weren't the healthiest plants but I still got 40 or so pods per plant by the end of the year. So it is doable, especially with what you will be adding.

I have successfully grown habanero plants in 1 gallon pots just using promix bx without any nutrients/fertilizers added during the season. They weren't the healthiest plants but I still got 40 or so pods per plant by the end of the year. So it is doable, especially with what you will be adding.
Thats good news. Im probably gonna try and just see what happens

Let the Worm Guy break it down for you bro. ;)

First things first...
Is Worm Tea Enough For Entire Grow?

Answer: If the worms have a diverse diet, then HELL YES!

The big three "N-P-K" will always come from castings, even crappy castings (pun intended.)
The reason is, they're the byproduct (poop) of the soil culture. And as a bonus, the N-P-K It is broken down to a very usable state!

Calcium comes as a result of the dead bodies :hell: no but really. The dead carcases of the arthropods, protozoa, and nematodes contain calcium that is also ready for plant absorption.

So what is left? Trace minerals!!! There are a plethora of trace minerals in worm castings. However, if all the worms eat is decomposing cow manure, then they aren't going to have much mineral diversity are they? Quality worm casting will come from worm that eat a little bit of every thing, compost, manure, plant carbons, and so on.

I hope I helped.
Oh yeah, almost forgot... Adding a good Rock Dust like Azomite, will insure that you are covered in the mineral department.

Let the Worm Guy break it down for you bro. ;)

First things first...

Answer: If the worms have a diverse diet, then HELL YES!

The big three "N-P-K" will always come from castings, even crappy castings (pun intended.)
The reason is, they're the byproduct (poop) of the soil culture. And as a bonus, the N-P-K It is broken down to a very usable state!

Calcium comes as a result of the dead bodies :hell: no but really. The dead carcases of the arthropods, protozoa, and nematodes contain calcium that is also ready for plant absorption.

So what is left? Trace minerals!!! There are a plethora of trace minerals in worm castings. However, if all the worms eat is decomposing cow manure, then they aren't going to have much mineral diversity are they? Quality worm casting will come from worm that eat a little bit of every thing, compost, manure, plant carbons, and so on.

I hope I helped.
Oh yeah, almost forgot... Adding a good Rock Dust like Azomite, will insure that you are covered in the mineral department.
very reassuring post. This makes me happy thank you for your time

NP! and welcome to THP.

If you are interested in organic pepper growing like a BOSS, then look for Guru's 2012 glog. That will keep busy for a while :P

Last season I fed my pepper plants only three times using home made worm tea and they produced mre peppers than i could handle. This monster ButchT was one such plant...
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:705]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:706]

They were fed worm tea 3 times or so... once during "crowning" (when the plants put out massive amounts of flowers all at once) and two more times after the first wave of peppers... otherwise they were only given well-water when required

I should add that the soil was well-amended with compost and manure, which carried the plants through vegetative growth until they were ready to produce peppers. Honestly peppers don't require too much nutrients. Worm tea is rich enough for most plants. Some plants will do well with a little dose of potash and epsom salt during fruit setting, but worm tea should suffice.

Back