• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Herb Garden Questions

Moderators - If this is the wrong place for this post, please move to appropriate location.

I have the following herbs to plant.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme

Tarragon, Basil, Dill & chives

Oregano, Cilantro Delfiam & Cilantro Slo-Bolt.

Question is, how many plants of each do I need to plant for eating fresh and drying some....I was planning on planting 6 or 7 seeds each to make a whole 72 cell tray. I have no idea about how much each plant produces.

Most aren't very big and it will run out really fast.
Some of them are used in small quantities (like rosemary), so that's ok.
Take cilantro for example, I can easily use a whole plant in a matter of days.

Don't plant rosemary seeds, it's not worth it. Go get a plant or two, they're perennial in your area and grow into a good sized shrub. Put it where it'll get lots of sun in sandy soil, water it until it gets established, then ignore it. It's better to water deep once a week or so than every day. Hey, you could get a prostrate rosemary and put it in your corner bed or in front of the peppers in the bed where the boxwoods were. It will spill attractively down over the front like a vine.

Sage and thyme should be perennials, too. Personally I'd buy them as plants, too, but they're not as difficult as rosemary. You're going to want several clumps of thyme, and at least two sage plants.

Oregano is another perennial, but make sure you don't have common oregano, it doesn't have as much flavor as the other kinds. It also runs almost as much as mint. I like Italian upright oregano best because to me, it has a delicately intense flavor. The most common one seen in stores these days is Greek Oregano, which is also a nice oregano. It grows in short (6 to 12 inches) clumps, so two are three should be enough once they're established. If it were me, I'd start several seeds in the same cup.

Basil is a wonderful summer herb, they love heat and light. If your plan is to dry some for winter, get an Italian variety like Lettuce Leaf or Italian Large Leaf. How many to plant depends on what you're going to do with it. One of the nice things about basil is that as you pick it, it gets bushier. I make a lot of pesto in the summer, so I like having at least 5 or 6 of the Italian basils going. I think I've mentioned the plague of Lemon Basil that reseeds itself in my yard every year, and it's a wonderful basil for fish dishes or stuffing peppers. It makes a very tart pesto, too.

Parsley is a biennial, and usually grows best that second year. They also grow better in cool weather. Oh, it'll grow in the summer, bit it always takes off for me in the fall. This is another one that you can plant several seeds in each cup.

Get your dill and cilantro going now or it will be too hot and they'll bolt to seed as soon as you move them outside. I grow mine as spring and fall crops. Put several seeds in each cup, and I'd plant at least 6 cups. When I use cilantro or dill, I use a lot!

Now, if you're growing parsley and dill, you're likely to get black swallowtail caterpillars at some point. You are NOT allowed to murder them! Get a fennel plant and move the caterpillars over when you find them. They look like bird droppings when they're tiny and grow to this:

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg266.html

Seriously, they need our help. And it's *so* exciting to watch them grow and pupate. Plus you can be a big hit with any children around the neighborhood.

When you're not using your fennel as caterpillar food, it's really nice for fish on the grill.

Rosemary should just be one, it'll take a little bit for it to get to size though. Probably 3 Sage plants and just plant alot of the rest.

I only have experience with a couple of them.

rosemary - very slow growers, well at least for me. I just buy plants. fresh rosemary is a wonderful taste!

thyme - once established it spreads like crazy (at least the kind I have) you'll start riping it up. I dont use fresh thyme as much because its sort of a hassle to harvest & clean since theres not many thyme leaves on each stem.

dill - plant alot of it if you plan on using it for canning.

chives (onion) - these grow naturally in my area, have 4 clumps of onion chives almost the size of a basketball. once you have a big clump of chives established you'll NEVER be short of chives!
I can cut full grown chives (about 1' tall) at the base & about 10 days later I can cut that same clump of chives again with full grown chives 1' tall. they are fast growers BUT you really need to get them established 1st.
I tend to just give chives away, by the handfuls. I find it funny stores charge $2 for just a little amount of chives (like deck of cards size of chives)
garlic chives dont grow well for me & fully die when winter comes, onion chives dont do that for me.

what kinds of basil are you growing? we grow four and they get huuuge (well, the purple not so much) we only need one plant of each.
chives will take over in no time, so a container is the way i'd go (unless you *really* like chives...)
i find you need a ton of cilantros to get any reasonable amount
parsley isn't a bad producer but we use it so much that we ussually have four or five of them (we tried to overwinter the biggest one cuz of the biennial thing pam said but the aphids got to that too...)
i also find the rest grow really slow.

I started seeds in a 72 cell tray, 6 each for 10 varieties and 12 for the Slo-Bolt Cilantro. I like the idea of contaiers for the herbs so I can save garden space...

LUCKYDOG said:
Salvia divinorum is always very nice especailly to the locals

Yes, but try growing anywhere outside of high humidity and hot weather. They are an extremely finiky plant that requires alot of attention. Best just to get some 20X Salvia and it'll save you ALOT of time...unless you want to chew the fresh leaves in which case you'll have to grow th eplant...but once again....best of luck.

POTAWIE said:
Is Salvia good? I've been told by friends to avoid it.

It's great! But if you've never done pot than I don't recomend it. Actually, it can be pritty powerful and confusing stuff...uh...for about 8 minutes.... I just discovered my stash from LA of Salvia 20x...gonna have mom give it a try...

Ok, anybody got an details on onions? I bought a bag of sweet onions about a week ago and one of 'em sprouted like a madman within a day....I mean, this thing is like 6 inches long already. Any advice on soil, watering, etc? I'd hate to kill the thing, ya know.

Sickmont said:
Ok, anybody got an details on onions? I bought a bag of sweet onions about a week ago and one of 'em sprouted like a madman within a day....I mean, this thing is like 6 inches long already. Any advice on soil, watering, etc? I'd hate to kill the thing, ya know.
Kill it, eat it, be happy. With onions it's betst to start off with seeds (more fun at least) and watch them grow.

IGG - I dont know about that, planting seeds, buying & planting bulbs speeds up the process plus they're not that expensive.

chilehunter said:
IGG - I dont know about that, planting seeds, buying & planting bulbs speeds up the process plus they're not that expensive.
BAH! Shortcuts! Plus in my humble opinion...oh wait...there's an abreviation for that...IMHO that interupts the growing process and makes the plant less happy.

Back