• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Time to play name that bug

are the plants indoors?
My guess would be aphids or like you said the eggs of them,
I had a bout with them a month ago, like chuk said mild soap solution (not antibacterial though) or ever better lady bugs.
Marv

You could soak the plant in mercury for about a week. After that, not only will you kill the mini body snatchers on your plants, but with the increased added weight of mercury that was absorbed, you can sell less peppers for the same weight. Granted that brain decay will take place in those individuals who ingest these heavy peppers, but it's all in the name of capitalism. :lol:

fatalliman said:
are the plants indoors?
No, they are outdoors. As far as the soap goes (I'll look up recipies on the net), will any type of soap do? Like dishwasher soap, as long as it is not antibacterial?

DEFCON Creator said:
You could soak the plant in mercury for about a week. After that, not only will you kill the mini body snatchers on your plants, but with the increased added weight of mercury that was absorbed, you can sell less peppers for the same weight. Granted that brain decay will take place in those individuals who ingest these heavy peppers, but it's all in the name of capitalism. :lol:
I tried that once, my relatives have never been the same...am still waiting for that fat life insurance pay off, but the company says I can't have it until I finish...er... until the relitive passes.

Yeah, those damn insurance companies!

But you have to admit, watching the relatives stumble around like mad cows is kinda fun in a twisted kind of way. You should try to get them to play a nice game of Twister or Mumbly Peg. :shock:

DEFCON Creator said:
You should try to get them to play a nice game of Twister or Mumbly Peg. :shock:
Great idea, maybe some of them will slip on Uncle Lou's drool (because that's all he really does now) and that will expedite of the insurance payments... hey, most accidents do occur at home.... :lol:

fatalliman said:
are the plants indoors?
mild soap solution (not antibacterial though
What's wrong with the antibacterial? Most sites that I have seen that have organic pesticide recipes say to use "liquid dishwashing detergent"(and some other crap, like peppers or rubbing alcohol) which generally are antibacterial. I'm actually getting ready to try one of these recipes.

Oh, and I discovered what the bug is, it's lacewing eggs.

The antibacterial agents not only kill the bad bugs, but also the good ones. Consider it kind of like penicillin. If you take penicillin, the flora and fauna in your lower digestive tract takes a massive hit, and stuff like acidophilus has to be taken to get the good bugs back into your system. Antibacterials do basically the same thing to plants, and you have a very good chance of shocking it beyond repair, but shocking it nonetheless. Use regular detergents, it's not the best for the plant, but it usually works with little or no permanent damage to the plant. Perhaps if you could train the lacewings to feed the plant...Wait a minute, get one of the larvae, and swap a ladybugs nerve cluster for the lacewings, it would give the little guy a really good attitude, and at the same time scare away all the other lacewings. :twisted:

DEFCON Creator said:
Wait a minute, get one of the larvae, and swap a ladybugs nerve cluster for the lacewings, it would give the little guy a really good attitude, and at the same time scare away all the other lacewings. :twisted:
Why go thu that much work when I can just kill one and use that ancient voodoo chant that I bought from eBay to raise it from the dead as a zombie. He'll eat all the lacewings in sight.

Hmmmm, the sound of a voodoo chant is just irritating though. And a festering lacewing on a perpetual sleepwalk is just funny. I would much prefer seeing a lacewing with a ladybugs head kicking the butts of other lacewings. A much better visual.

DEFCON Creator said:
I would much prefer seeing a lacewing with a ladybugs head kicking the butts of other lacewings.
It's like what if we put Arnold Swarchenegger's head on Richard Rubin's(Beauty and the Geek) body.

Tina Brooks said:
lady bugs are the only way to go. Sheesh.
Ya, but I found some scale on some plants that are next door. I figured I'd just kill all the invaiders with organic pesticide in one fell swoop.

imaguitargod][quote=DEFCON Creator said:
I would much prefer seeing a lacewing with a ladybugs head kicking the butts of other lacewings.
It's like what if we put Arnold Swarchenegger's head on Richard Rubin's(Beauty and the Geek) body.

Tina Brooks said:
lady bugs are the only way to go. Sheesh.
Ya, but I found some scale on some plants that are next door. I figured I'd just kill all the invaiders with organic pesticide in one fell swoop.[/quote]

Wait a cotton picking minute... you're not anywhere near me, are you???

T

imaguitargod said:
Tina Brooks said:
Wait a cotton picking minute... you're not anywhere near me, are you???

T
Yep, Los Angeles is really close to Canada, just a hope and a skip. (sarcasm) 😉
Why do you ask?

I ask because I want to cover my peppers... I don't want those chemicals landing my babies!

And you'd be surprised at how close LA is to Canada when we start talking about airborne things. They've found grains of Sahara dust particles in air measured in Toronto Canada.

I got into growing peppers and suddenly I'm an environmentalist... aaargh!

Tina Brooks said:
I ask because I want to cover my peppers... I don't want those chemicals landing my babies!
Umm, that's why I'm using organic pesticides (like, mixing Isopropyl Alcohol with warm water and some hot perrper) :D

Tina Brooks said:
And you'd be surprised at how close LA is to Canada when we start talking about airborne things. They've found grains of Sahara dust particles in air measured in Toronto Canada.
Or like how psilocybin can float virtually anywhere (including space) using air currents.

DEFCON Creator said:
Perhaps the Saharan dust particles are coming from nomads migrating across the Bering ice drift.
"Ya, but I thought the Bering straight nomads were non-migratory"

[/quote]
"Ya, but I thought the Bering straight nomads were non-migratory"[/quote]

They were, until they learned to build igloos and then invited all their friends over to party. The igloos melted, and they went home on the other side, just to return every year to build more igloos. Not non-migratory, more like circuitous meanderers. :roll:

Back