• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Building a Shade House UPDATED FINALLY!!

Ok here it is:

That's a Quart on the table. Doesn't seem like much but it took a lot of thinking, digging, and sawing to make it work. It functions, and that's all I need. I was going to go far more of a house with door concept but hit my limit on money to spend. The plants don't care as long as it is shady.

Here they are "chilling out" in the new pad:

I had a bunch of ideas for how to go about doing it but I ultimately ended up making a hoophouse. The plants are loving it. I think it was 60 or 70 bucks in the end.

Good stuff PepperDaddler, it even looks easy enough to disassemble / reassemble.

Next season, if you have any heavy spring rains to deal with, you can throw some nice thick 3.5mm plastic over it, strong enough to last a couple of seasons with part time use.

You just have to watch out for high speed wind.

Jetchuka said:
Good stuff PepperDaddler, it even looks easy enough to disassemble / reassemble.

Next season, if you have any heavy spring rains to deal with, you can throw some nice thick 3.5mm plastic over it, strong enough to last a couple of seasons with part time use.

Great idea and cheap.

I like!

Could also be used to convert to a greenhouse? :party:

I wanted a cube. I still do. It was my original idea.

But think of the water pooling on top and making big drops pouring on the plants.

Also this was the absolute best I could do with what I had.

Nightshade, c'mon with those pics!!

Mine is NOT up to my standards at all but it works, so I have to deal with it.

Yes Pepperdaddler, my temporary makeshift cover this year was cube-shaped, and boy did i have to rig the plastic to keep it from dropping and collapsing.

A few of my plants were smushed for a good 6-10 hour at least :(, but i would prop them up afterwards and they turned out fine.

It was a cheap, quick, thoughtless, temporary setup though. But it did the job and kept the spring downpours off my plants.

I now have big, flexible styrofoam bags to throw over my favorite plants in the fall. It should help squeeze a few extra weeks of ripening time (first couple of frosts etc).

IMAG0420-1-1_zps0cd429df.jpg

this is the best I could with my hand casted up. will fix it up more later today.

How did you get the cube shape? I could not find any three way connectors.

Or four-ways..

And how much was it all?

One more, what percentage shade cloth is that?

Jetchuka said:

Forgot to metion I did not cement any of the connections for possible disassembly.

Nightshades looks like a greenhouse i got at big lots last season. It was $50 and worked ok....That lil storm sandy dropped a branch through the top plastic. I tossed the plastic kept all the rest in a shed. 

Nice plants PDiddly!

i dont use it any more but i had 4 stakes at the corner of my raised beds and tacked the greenhouse screen material over it  hit 4 stakes in the corners put one nail in each stake that was it  still throw it over when its extra hot out

Great topic gang. 

So I saw the pop up canopy and was quite awestruck at the simplicity.  Did we ever find out on anyone trying it or not. 

Backstory: Moved from the mountains of Southern Oregon where I could never get the peppers to do much except Jalapenos and Habaneros.  Too Cold.
Now I suffer through the daily life in Honolulu.  Anyway, now I find myself needing a shadehouse,  a greenhouse would be too nightmarish to maintain. But man the White Flies are nasty here and oh yeah, wild pigs.  So here I am.

I was cruising around this past weekend and happened to find myself under a similar 10x10.  I realized I downloaded a Lightmeter App.  Ok several.  Lo and behold, 21-25000 lux on the ground. BOOM.  WalMart...here we go. It will be here on the 19th.  Stay Tuned.

Peace

Oh BTW:  http://www.snapclamp.com  They are good people, they quoted me a "Kit" price base on the free plans.  Even to Hawaii cheap.

Back