• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Question about commercial kitchens, etc.

SadisticPeppers

Business Member
Seems like the stars are aligning for me to begin making my hot sauce in earnest...

I just found out one of my old friends from high school is now the manager of a local bar & grill restaurant, and I wanted to ask her if it was OK during hours when she's not operating, if I could come in for a couple hours every so often to use her kitchen to cook up my sauce and other products.

Before I asked her, however, I was wondering if anyone knew whether a restaurant kitchen would qualify as a commercial kitchen? If so, then that would alleviate a lot of potential issues down the road if/when my sauces take off. If it does, I could even strike up a deal with her that in exchange for letting me use her kitchen, I could have her sell some of the sauces, and she'd retain a couple buck per bottle, or even use some of the sauce in bulk to cook with.

Indeed!

Restaurants are generally acceptable as commercial kitchens. 

You will still need local/state health licensing and business licensing.  Usually, using an established kitchen just gives the producer a facility to use.  You still need to get the sauces approved, FDA registered if sell across state lines (or internet) and take care of all the other business licenses.

Who knows how long it will suit your needs?  Space, convenience....it's a great place to start.

Back