• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Infusions: The How To

I thought about placing this in the Alcoholic Beverage forum but my intention is that flavors that might otherwise make for an unsafe sauce, say by the addition of fats can be safely accomplished.

Basic infusions are very simple to do and can add great flavor to your sauces, chutneys, and other delectables. While any spirit can be used including plain grain alcohol, I prefer to use plain 80 proof Vodka. I use a cheap one but still one that isn't harsh with off flavors.

For this one I'm making a Bacon Infusion for a sauce. I choose to do this one as it's done differently than say an herb infusion. Herb infusions are as simple as adding dried herbs to the bottle and letting it sit for a while then filtering the liquid out. Bacon can be done 2 different ways. I use a combination of both.

First find a container that will hold it and pour some Vodka in. Close the container and give it a good shake so all surface area is coated to sanitize the container.

6F6424AE-582B-42E2-9096-23F6CBC0CB29-1158-000003B00B1CF522_zpseb525ca9.jpg

Now your ready.

Cut the bacon up into say 1 inch wide pieces and fry it up. When a good portion of the fat has been rendered use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon.

Method 1, Fat Washing
This is the quickest method as it takes only about 3 hours. To the container of Vodka, and I chill it first, add the fat from the pan, close the container and shake the heck out of it.

D54CD67E-B6B8-4BEC-AF9C-F9F4240CA766-1158-000003B01406338A_zpsd62abe8d.jpg

Then give it another shake every 15 minutes or so. It will start to look like this.I

F831F9E3-7282-43AD-9137-9C8CFB00D3F7-1158-000003B06BC15D81_zpsb577a8a3.jpg

After 3 hours are up place it upside down in the freezer till the fat is frozen. Once frozen you can pour off the Bacon Vodka through a wire sieve and some coffee filters and add it to your second method.

Method 2: Bacon Soak:

This method takes 3 weeks to complete. Once you have removed the fat from the pan, return the bacon and continue to fry it till it's done. Using the slotted spoon remove the bacon draining as much fat as you can and add it to the Vodka in your jar.

BECA2671-42E0-44CD-AA56-FDA8551E8355-1158-000003B04857AB55_zpsdbc960fe.jpg

Close the jar up and set it aside for the next 3 weeks. When it's done pour off the vodka through the wire sieve and coffee filters and bottle back into the Vodka bottle.

Side by side shot:

56F93832-B96B-4581-8EF5-EC2C27BAEB1C-1158-000003B01C496405_zps0184fd6d.jpg

The amount of Bacon you use is dependent on what your going to use it for. To use it for a BLT Martini, you only need to use about a quarter to a half pound if bacon to a fifth of Vodka. For sauces I go up to about a pound and a half of Bacon to a fifth. You'll need to play around with it and see what your preference is.

So there you have it. A simple method that can add a real WOW factor to your favorite hobby.

Cheers,
RM

You guys are REALLY making me want a Mary right now. I am thinking of going out and getting all the ingredients...

What is a good recipe for a basic Bloody Mary. I like to have Virgin ones, just for flavor.

I know it takes some of this:

V8
Black Pepper
I like mine with Hot Sauce-extra hot
Celery Stick
Lemon?
Salt
How necessary is the worchestershire?
Horseradish. I did not know there was horseradish but I love it.

Anything else you guys use?
And I was thinking of heating it up in the microwave because ice and tomato juice is just a little wierd for me. I CAN and DO drink them that way, with ice, but heated up sounds like a good idea.

I was just thinking of bacon infused sauce the other day and poof! Here is the beginnings of one. I really hope you post the sauce when it's made.

Thanks for the demo. Of course, now I really do want a Bloody Mary.

Just got a rememberance of this thread, and it is the winter doldrums...so....
WHY NOT?!?!??? Something fun to do.

Picking up goods at the store tomorrow Monday.

Mostly following RM tutorial....the plan is...
2x 750ml vodka, medium quality
1.5# bacon....mayby pepper?

Uhhhmmm.... yea, thats about it.
:cheers:

Vodka + Bacon :party:

OMG ... RocketMan ... now I know what my cause of death will be... (if my wife does not finish me off first).

You prompted me to search and I found this :arrow: :eek: LOOK at some of these recipes :eek: :cheers: ..
http://www.bakonvodka.com/recipes
Pretty sure all the fat is out of this leaving only the flavor.

Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it....... 🤷

Aight, I started this last weekend.

3 pounds bacon. I saved 4 slices for the food dish... can you guess what it is?
20240123_092803 - Copy.jpg

Using the dutch oven on the plancha on the grill. We got this Victory Grill last spring, and not very happy with it as a grill. Purchased the plancha from GauchoLife....using it on the grill and LOVE IT!!!
20240123_095233 - Copy.jpg

We recently had the range, BBQ and freestanding fireplace hard-piped with propane. As part of that, we had a timer installed for the BBQ. Thought being...when drunken chef-ing, it will turn off the gas so the bbq doesn't stay on all night. Down side of that is, when doing long cooks, like rendering out 3 pounds of bacon, you have to remember to turn the timer back on.
20240123_095243 - Copy.jpg

But at the end... here is 3 pounds, minus 4 slices, of bacon and fat.
20240123_113303 - Copy.jpg

A fifth with the cooked bacon pieces, a fifth with the fat. Following Rocketman's process.
20240123_113708.jpg

20240123_140715.jpg

left the fat in the one jar, agitating every 15-20 minutes.
Then strained out the fat, adding the vodka into the bacon pieces jar and will let it set for 2-3 weeks.

The other dish? Red beans and rice with brined red beans.
20240123_121330.jpg
20240123_165245.jpg

Last edited:
Back