• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Volcano in a Box

Ocho Cinco and the Pepper Joe Experience

The plan:
Get a "Volcano in a Box" from Pepper Joe
Document the entire experience here on THP
Simple

I'm just a hobby grower. This will be my second year growing super hots but I am a relatively experienced gardener. Like most hobby growers, I don't have the space to grow a whole lot of plants. I will probably keep only one or two plants from each variety. The rest I will try to sell. I will try to keep contact with the buyers to see how their plants grew. 

I plan on taking many pictures and videos to be as thorough as I can.
What will the results be?
Will the seeds germinate well?
Will the pods grow true? 
Can I make some money?
Will this product succeed or fail?

Let the adventure begin...........

My "Volcano in a Box" came in the mail today.
VolcanoinaBox_zpsed9edd10.jpg

VolcanoinaBox2_zps1a4a6055.jpg

Here is something that caught my attention. "Pepper Joe's Carolina Reaper". Now I guess I gotta get some of "Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reapers" and grow them along with the seeds that I saved from my own Carolina Reapers that I grew in the 2013 season. (Sorry about the blurry pic. My good camera recently quit working)
VolcanoinaBox3_zps678180ad.jpg

This is a list of what came in the Volcano in a Box:
Pepper Joe's Carolina Reaper
Red Moruga Scorpion 
Butch T Trinidad Scorpion
Naga Morich
Chaguanas 7 Pot / 7 Pod
Trinidad Scorpion
Ghost Pepper / Bhut Jolokia
Two packs of Giant Ghost Pepper / Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Ghost Pepper
Orange Scotch Bonnet

I plan on starting them around the 1st of January. 

Jeff H said:
When did you move from Covington? Do you have more space where you are now?
I have kind of a dual residence thing going on. I'm still around Covington but I also kinda live in Hillsboro. A little confusing and a long story.

Penny said:
You brave soul ;) ....good luck with it, and keep us posted. :onfire:  :onfire:
Thank you and I will keep everyone posted. I'm just out to prove to myself whether or not Pepper Joe sells good seeds or not. I have read a lot of bad things about his company but my experience with him last year was a great one.

chilli whisperer said:
Nice :) how much does a vulcano in a box cost? Wishing you a great season :P
Volcano in a Box was $60 and I got 11 packs of seeds with it. Not a bad price in my opinion. Of course that all depends on how well the chiles turn out.

I bought the same a while back, along with a pack of his Naga Viper.

Though, so far, I've only tried planting some of the Red Moruga Scorpion & Butch T..  In both cases, I've soaked the seeds overnight in warm water, in a room that is kept around 80-85F and taped plastic wrap over top (to keep fungus gnats out).

With the Moruga's, I planted them around a week ago and had to replant the seeds in fresh soil because somehow the soil was forming mold on top. I'm not sure they'll germinate at all, at this point, because I didn't have them covered at first and there is a few fungus gnats lingering around.

With the Butch T's, I just planted them a couple days ago, so it's definitely too soon to tell.

Back in the summer, my first seeds came from Pepper Joe's and most - about 4-5 different varieties (including Reapers, Trinidad Scorpion, Naga Morich, etc) - all managed to germinate quite well, except the Naga Morich. At that point I didn't have fungus gnats or aphids.

So hopefully we'll both do well :)

Indeed, this should be interesting.
Hecky yeah I got my playoff tickets! We haven't had a home playoff game since 1989! I can't miss this one.

Well, I just finished planting some seeds from the Volcano.

I planted 40 seeds. Four seeds from each variety. Two seeds each to a coco coir pod.
The one I am holding in my hand is to show that I have PJ on the other sides of the sticks.

Startingseeds2_zpsab127a4c.jpg

It took me almost an hour to plant all of these. I took my time and triple checked every step I took to ensure that everything is labeled correctly.

The seeds are going under a plastic dome. I am using a Sunleaves heat mat that I have set at 90 degrees.

Good job...looks great and hopefully they do well, especially after taking that much care to plant them...Keep us posted too.

Is 90 what has worked for you? I run my hydro farm pad at 86. It has a 3 degree differential and everything pops in like 1 week.

Good luck!

I love the experiment 85. Question for you. Is that what it says on the reaper packet you have?? Pepper Joe's Carolina Reaper? I would be interested in seeing the packet if you have it handy. 

Back