• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Volcano in a Box

Ocho Cinco and the Pepper Joe Experience

The plan:
Get a "Volcano in a Box" from Pepper Joe
Document the entire experience here on THP
Simple

I'm just a hobby grower. This will be my second year growing super hots but I am a relatively experienced gardener. Like most hobby growers, I don't have the space to grow a whole lot of plants. I will probably keep only one or two plants from each variety. The rest I will try to sell. I will try to keep contact with the buyers to see how their plants grew. 

I plan on taking many pictures and videos to be as thorough as I can.
What will the results be?
Will the seeds germinate well?
Will the pods grow true? 
Can I make some money?
Will this product succeed or fail?

Let the adventure begin...........

Jeff H said:
I love the experiment 85. Question for you. Is that what it says on the reaper packet you have?? Pepper Joe's Carolina Reaper? I would be interested in seeing the packet if you have it handy. 

Yep, that is what it says on the packet.

Reaper_zps8a02227f.jpg

I have the same seeds from Pepper Joe.. Found it a bit ironic once I saw how big of a deal was being made over the "official" name only to find he stamps his own name on it instead of Ed's. :)

Looks like you're off to a good start Ocho Cinco :)

ArkansasJack said:
Looks good so far ocho......... And those reaper seeds I got from you 100% germination..............
That is great news about the germination rate! That makes me very happy. I put a lot of time and love into them. I wanted them to be the best seeds available anywhere.

Dulac said:
It's terrible to rename a variety to just claim it as your own. It will add to all sorts of confusion.

If you read some of the gossip over at the garden Web he and penny have been accused of this many times before with their tomatoes. I have no personal knowledge of that though, but this is blatant.

I'm starting to transplant some of my babies so I thought that I would do an update on  "Volcano in a Box: The Pepper Joe Experience"
Here is what I have so far. I believe that the plants are growing a little slow due to cool temps (60-65 degrees Fahrenheit after coming off of the heat mat and into my south facing window). I now have them in my at another location which is around 65-68 degrees and under fluorescent lights. That's still a little cool for them but they are the same conditions that I grew in last year and everything worked out very well. 
I planted 20 coco coir pods with two seeds each for a total of 40 seeds planted. That is a pretty small test but as a small hobby grower I don't have room to grow everything.

Germination results:
Yellow Bhut 25% germination
Carolina Reaper 100% germination
Trinidad Scorpion 50% germination
Naga Morich 75% germination
Red Bhut 50% germination
Chaguana 50% germination
Red Moruga 50% germination
Butch T Trinidad Scorpion 25% germination
Giant Ghost 25% germination
Orange Scotch Bonnet 75% germination

16 of the 20 coco coir pods that I planted have plants in them though one of the Yellow Bhuts has a runt in it and may be discarded.

Feb22Update_zpse086d59b.jpg

Feb22Update2_zpse3db0f0f.jpg

Ocho Cinco said:
I'm starting to transplant some of my babies so I thought that I would do an update on  "Volcano in a Box: The Pepper Joe Experience"
Here is what I have so far. I believe that the plants are growing a little slow due to cool temps (60-65 degrees Fahrenheit after coming off of the heat mat and into my south facing window). I now have them in my at another location which is around 65-68 degrees and under fluorescent lights. That's still a little cool for them but they are the same conditions that I grew in last year and everything worked out very well. 
I planted 20 coco coir pods with two seeds each for a total of 40 seeds planted. That is a pretty small test but as a small hobby grower I don't have room to grow everything.

Germination results:
Yellow Bhut 25% germination
Carolina Reaper 100% germination
Trinidad Scorpion 50% germination
Naga Morich 75% germination
Red Bhut 50% germination
Chaguana 50% germination
Red Moruga 50% germination
Butch T Trinidad Scorpion 25% germination
Giant Ghost 25% germination
Orange Scotch Bonnet 75% germination

16 of the 20 coco coir pods that I planted have plants in them though one of the Yellow Bhuts has a runt in it and may be discarded.

Feb22Update_zpse086d59b.jpg

Feb22Update2_zpse3db0f0f.jpg
All I could think when I saw this "is wait until the wife gets home!"

I've never gotten any seeds from pepper joe, I'm interested in following this to see how it pans out....germ rates aren't too bad.

From what i have read Pepper Joe is the only person Ed has given exclusive rights to sell/market the Carolina Reaper...... I think there is timeline photos and info of the 2 of them together throughout the Reapers testings and stuff.
Ocho Cinco said:
Yep, that is what it says on the packet.

Reaper_zps8a02227f.jpg

Islander said:
From what i have read Pepper Joe is the only person Ed has given exclusive rights to sell/market the Carolina Reaper...... I think there is timeline photos and info of the 2 of them together throughout the Reapers testings and stuff.

You are misinformed. If PJ had any rights from Ed Curry at all, the seeds would be labeled "Smokin Ed's Carolina Reaper", not the knock off name that PJ is using.

Here are 11 of the plants that I have from the VIAB. They are currently in the hardening off process. I only had them in direct sunlight for a brief moment to take this pic. A few of them suffered some wind damage the other day but they are doing fine. They just look a little smaller and more rough than the rest. 
April9Update_zpsca220a5e.jpg

Back