• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Jeff's Flog- homemade pastrami

I was going to photo bomb the hippy thread, but since I'm trying to be on my best behavior, I might as well start my own thread. 

It all starts with fresh buns right out of the oven. 
20140217_192803.jpg

Add some pickled peppers and a vinegar hot sauce. Also added some picklese (not photoed). 
20140218_192355.jpg

Pulled pork sammies. 

20140218_193454.jpg

Note to self: wedding ring will not fit as a cool thumb ring. 

Ohhh, Look what Amazon delivered today. 

20140221_185506.jpg

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this stuff soon. Thanks for the idea Phil. 

Don't know about the crawfish, maybe peeled tails, but there is a ton of other stuff I can boil. 

I'm assuming this isn't all that spicy since it is commercially made. Might have to throw in some habs to kick it up a notch .

Back 6 weeks ago I started aging some tabascos that I had. Just straight peppers, 4% salt, a bit of water to cover and time. 

6 weeks ago. 
20140110_212221.jpg

Today. 
20140223_101932.jpg

threw in a sweet onion and most of a head of garlic and a cup of white vinegar. Boiled for about 45 minutes then through the food mill to get all those pesky seeds out. 

20140223_114611.jpg

Damn that is a lot of seeds. 

Brought to a boil again. All bottled up and ready to be eaten. 
20140223_124433.jpg

Next step, the tortillas. It starts like this. 
20140223_125623.jpg

On to the opened up paninni press. 
20140223_131706.jpg

To be continued. 
But first a comment about the panini press. This thing is awesome and speeds up the tortilla making production 400% vs. the cast iron skillet. 

I love my Sandwich bot, but IMO it doesn't get quite hot enough for Tortillas. I like a Nuclear hot CI for tortillas, but I am diggin what you're up to here bro.

texas blues said:
So the torts are made with both corn masa and white flour?

Yep, domestic compromise. The wife didn't like the taste of the all corn tortillas. 

It took me 4-5 tries to get a recipe I liked. the dough behaves very much like corn dough still and presses really nicely without sticking to anything. IMHO, this dough is easier to work with than just corn. Try it.

1 cup corn flour- I’m using white corn
1 cup flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1Tbsp Crisco or canola oil
1 Cup water + a little bit
Scoville DeVille said:
I love my Sandwich bot, but IMO it doesn't get quite hot enough for Tortillas. I like a Nuclear hot CI for tortillas, but I am diggin what you're up to here bro.
Couldn't use my CI skillet. It was busy. 

So nice so nice,

I usually make straight corn or whole wheat but your white corn/white flour sounds interesting. 

In lieu of Crisco or lard I've been using olive oil.

Good stuff.

Looking forward to seeing what you got goin' on.

Tortillas cool on a towel. 
20140223_134336.jpg

Why on a towel you say? Because the cooling rack was busy for the same reason the CI skillet was busy. Some english muffins. 
20140223_141046.jpg

Nothing hot in dem english muffins, but they are the bomb with some spicy jelly. 

Anyway, That was just some cooking so we had tortillas and english muffins for the week. All that cooking made me hungry so I took a couple of the tortillas, some left over shredded pork, and cheese and made me a gooder than hell quesidilla while the panini press was still hot. 
20140223_134639.jpg

Poured some of the freshly made tabasco hot sauce all over it. There was no picking this up to eat. fork only. 
20140223_134748.jpg

That is all I have time for tonight. Company coming over in a few. I did do some more cooking so there are more pics later. 

Nice Jeff!
Ain't a whole lot better than homemade tortillas.
Never thought about making English Muffins but I'm gonna be all over that.
You got a recipe?

Late night snack. Pressed chicken sandwich loaded with cheese and spicy sauerkraut.

20140223_191331.jpg

Friday night is pizza night. Took these pics the other day but didn't get around to posting them.

20140221_170605.jpg

20140221_185518.jpg

20140221_191620.jpg

Hot stuff only on the pizza on the right. Pickled japapeno and some of Joyners very good white hab powder I bought last year.

I really need to get a new pizza stone. My pizza peel is just hanging on the wall feeling lonely and neglected just waiting to be used, but my only pizza stone has been abused and has some oil soaked into it. Heating it up to almost 500 degrees smokes me out of the kitchen. Cookie sheets will have to do for now.

HopsNBarley said:
Nice Jeff!
Ain't a whole lot better than homemade tortillas.
Never thought about making English Muffins but I'm gonna be all over that.
You got a recipe?

Sure. Let me dig it up later tonight when I get home.

Back