• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Does anybody know what this one is?

My husband bought this pepper for me last year from a store (called Bauhaus). They called it Hot Banana.
Unfortunately a lot of the stores here in Denmark has a bad habit of inventing 'smart' new names for peppers instead of using their real names.
So what I'd like to know is if this really is a Hot Banana or - if it's not - what it is?
http://pepper.haible.net/#!album-0-0

Looks like some type of Thai variant. What size are the pods? Did the pods ripen from green straight to red, or was there a progression (green, yellow, orange, red, etc.)?

Nulle said:
They were (afai recall) 2-3cm x 6-7cm and the pic you see is how I got it - so I don't know how it got to red.
If the pods are that small they are most likely a Thai variant, especially with them standing upright.  They should be rather hot, much hotter than any banana pepper could ever be.  My forum picture is a Thai plant for reference.

Terravexti said:
I grew this a few years back and it was labeled "hot banana." They don't exactly look like yours, but thy did grow upwards.

Def not hot Banana with pods growing upwards. Yours look a lot like Hungarian hot Wax.

Not sure about the original poster's pods though, they do seem a bit different.

Hungarian hot wax grow upright until they get too heavy and then drop. Slightly different than a banana pepper but closely related.

And as said earlier, they turn red when fully ripe.

Back