• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Helmet Head

cone9

Extreme Member
This Jamaican Gold can't shed it's helmet.  

Do you think it has a chance?

Sorry, but that kind of made me laugh! Look how big and gorgeous that plant is - it will be just fine! If the seed casing bothers you, wet it to soften it, pinch it at the seem and pull it off. Removing a seed casing from a tiny sprout can be a big problem, but your plant has managed to shrug its shoulders and give it a "whatever" and move on. You could easily leave it, too, as those cotyledons will likely be shriveling up and falling off in the very near future anyway.

geeme said:
Sorry, but that kind of made me laugh! Look how big and gorgeous that plant is - it will be just fine! If the seed casing bothers you, wet it to soften it, pinch it at the seem and pull it off. Removing a seed casing from a tiny sprout can be a big problem, but your plant has managed to shrug its shoulders and give it a "whatever" and move on. You could easily leave it, too, as those cotyledons will likely be shriveling up and falling off in the very near future anyway.

A little early, but... /\  APRIL FOOL!

You ever seen a plant try to pull two stems out of one seed? It's funny to watch, because one will usually end up stuck with it and have to grow out over time.

lol, I have a Moruga that looks like it might do this.

I tend to leave the fresh helmet heads alone, most of them make it if I don't go messing with them and end up breaking the cotys XD

ikeepfish said:
lol, I have a Moruga that looks like it might do this.

I tend to leave the fresh helmet heads alone, most of them make it if I don't go messing with them and end up breaking the cotys XD
What are cotys?

xxkamikazexx said:
Cotyledons are the very first set of pointy looking leaves when the seed pops out of the shell and out of the dirt. You could say they're the first set of "leaves" but not really.
They're basically embryonic leaves, they don't provide any photosynthesis for the plant...if you damage them you will likely lose the seedling.

Cotyledons are the very first set of pointy looking leaves when the seed pops out of the shell and out of the dirt. You could say they're the first set of "leaves" but not really.

Ah. Thanks!
They're basically embryonic leaves, they don't provide any photosynthesis for the plant...if you damage them you will likely lose the seedling.
If they don't provide photosynthesis, why would it kill the seedling if it's destroyed?

Because the cotys are what the seedling derives its nutrients from till it starts forming true leaves and a suitable root system.

Where do the nutrients come from if not for photosynthesis? Thanks!

If you think about an embryo in an egg, it isn't eating anything while it's forming into a chick, it gets its nutrients from the yolk of the egg.

I see. So the nutrients are in the cotys themselves. Thanks!

Back