• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermented Corn and Onion Salsa

This can be served both as a salsa or a relish. I enjoy eating it with tortilla chips, and as a topping on red chili and soup beans (pinto/great northern). It also does wonders for canned baked beans when you have to throw a quick batch together.

I have made it with canned organic corn in the winter months, but the fresh corn cut off the cob and Vidalia onion really make a difference.

3 cups fresh, washed corn kernels
1 medium tomato
1 medium Vidalia onion
2 cloves fresh garlic
10 sprigs fresh cilantro
1 red bell pepper
1-1/2 TBS Smoked Datil pepper flakes
1 tablespoon salt
A leaf of raw cabbage
Distilled water
Agave nectar (optional- added when served)
  1. Clean and sanitize a quart jar.(boiling water bath)
  2. Blanch tomato to remove the peel, then cut into cubes.
  3. Dice the onion finely with the garlic and cilantro.
  4. Mix all ingredients (except the water and Agave nectar) in a medium-size bowl. Lightly press the ingredients together in order to allow for the release of the juices. (Use a wooden spoon or cabbage pounder)
  5. Pour all the ingredients into the quart jar, pressing them slightly to pack and fill the jar to 1 inch below the rim.
  6. Add the water until it just slightly covers the ingredients within the jar.
  7. Break up the cabbage leaf into pieces that fit snugly against the sides if the jar and create a barrier above the ingredients

I use an airlock lid. A regular ring and band lid can also be used but it should be ”burped” occasionally to release the gasses in the jar. I also suggest sitting the jar in a bowl to catch any seepage that may occur.
Allow to ferment at room temperature for 4 to 5 days. The level of sourness increases the longer it ferments.
Once the salsa is ready,remove the cabbage leaves and put it in the fridge. Will last for several months.

CM

edit:added picture

>>>>>>>>>>>UPDATE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
As of around noon today Its been 4 days since I sealed the jars of salsa.
Since then I've gently twisted and turned the jars to coax the trapped gas bubbles to release.
Even though there's still a few bubbles trapped, the activity has slowed down and the mixture has stopped moving to the top of the jar and pushing the cabbage leaves upward. The primary stage of ferment is about wrapped up

So later on this afternoon I'll be opening the small jar, and after checking the pH have a taste to see if its ready to go into the  fridge yet, or if it could use another day to sour.

Either way, I'll be enjoying some with my (grilled boneless chicken thigh) dinner tonight.
Oh Yahhh.....
CM

The pH test came in at a 3.5, and the Datil pepper heat around a 6.

The ingredients still have some body which I think contributes to the texture. I drizzled in a small amount of agave nectar, and served it as a garnish with a bowl of my Green Monsta Chili.

And oh, what a feast we had....
Life is good
CM

Back