• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Cappy pruning and cloning 2014

This is going to be sort of a reverse grow log since all my plants are outside and its the beginning of summer.  This thread is about pruning my truest plants that exhibit the right pods characteristics since in todays world of pepper growing there is more and more variation in seeds that are traded.  I also want to utilize my indoor grow room when I'm not overwintering or starting seeds in the spring.  This whole idea started because I store bought 2 Better Boy hybrid peppers and have been constantly cloning them and now have over 30 tomato bushes.  Cloning peppers will keep strains pure and true to the plant the cutting was taken from.  We had a localized thunderstorm a few days ago the made crop circles out of my garden and after I propped the plants I noticed a Cumari do Para was broken at the base.  I went ahead and made 9 cuttings and dipped in root stimulator and in to a peat based mix and under some floros.  The tomatoes were easy peazy with 100% success but after 3 day the Cumari is wilting but still alive.  This will be a great way to trim my unweildly outside plants that have perfect looking pods and bring a small exact copy of that plant inside under lights.

Yellow 7 Pod

Bubblegum 7 Pod

Cumari do Para I took cuttings from

garden shots

PexPeppers said:
so, when can we expect the first bubble brains?

This thread is about keeping what strains we already have pure not making new ones Garrett so I hope not but I do endorse the Bubblegum 7 as it is a scorching hot pepper with great flavor.  It is also my understanding it's a cross of both a red and yellow 7 pod so that is very cool to me, just don't understand where the large calyx comes from or why it also turns red, super cool and interesting trait by itself.  I swear it has a bubble gum flavor you taste right before it lights you up. Great to see so many warm faces and I haven't forgotten any names good to be back.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
in todays world of pepper growing there is more and more variation in seeds that are traded

Very true!
Good luck with your project and thanks for sharing your knowledge once again!

Datil

Looking Great Cappy! Good to see you back, I was thinking of doing something similar here in NC, its so depressing having to start over every year, cloning would be a perfect way to start with already mature plants every year!

Back