• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help me choose a lamp for my Trinidad Scorpions

Hi everyone, first post here ...

So I started growing scorpions from seeds this april and sometime in early may they were transplanted outside. A few repottings later things started looking good. We had a terrific summer in Sweden and first fruits started showing a few weeks ago, late in the season of summer for us. My biggest one is probably final size, like a small plum whereas most of the rest are like small grapes.
Summer seems to have ground to a halt with temperatures around 15 during day and 11 at night and no sun.

I am afraid that my fruits will stop the ripening process, so I am contemplating moving some or all of the seven plants inside. Problem is, I have no grow lights. Also not a great deal of money to spend.

What I am looking for is a lamp, good enough, to finish the last stage. Reading on the web has not made me much wiser, rather more confused, to a point were it seems that a lamp under 200/$/£ is not worth looking at. At least that is what it seems.

This is my first time growing peppers so I am not sure what the lowest requirements are for an outside plant is to be able to finish the job outside. Even less so inside. Maybe I can bring one or two plants inside with a lamp and let the rest fend for themselves outside.

a picture of my plants
http://imgur.com/oitO1qD

What are your thoughts?

I know you mentioned not having a whole lot of money sitting around to use, but you are probably looking at a 400W or 600W HID to give you enough lumens to continue the growing season inside.  I would list a few prices, but you may want to do some browsing the web to find the prices.  It's a bit of an investment that will pay itself back if you plan to do the process again next year. 

Also, yes, the T5 bulb grow lights will suffice but they are a bit more expensive, than going with an HID grow light.

Do you have enough space to utilize as a grow area, indoors? 

Depends on your local costs, taxes and VAT.
8 tube 4 foot T5 will run under $200 US. and if you have a window to place them in front of that gets some sunlight, trim them back a bit, and use 5 gallon pots, your should be able to finish out 4 of them in that space.

A pair of 600W HID, HPS, MH will do the same with less trimming required, and could squeeze by with a pair of 400w.

Thanks for the advice. I shopped around a bit and seems I can get a 600W HPS for about $200 which I can live with. What is something to consider for that type of setup - heat will be a factor I guess?

Back