• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tried something that might not work but hopeful

Tried something that some people would have doubts about including myself. Transplanted one of my Aji Dulce plants out of the ground and into a one gallon pot. This particular plant was doomed from the beginning with late germination, it got attacked by hornworms twice that left it bare and it was simply in a bad location. This plant never really wanted to grow, It only got about 10in tall so thought It was a good test subject. I been interested in growing with coco indoors and no patience to start from seed, so here goes nothing. Watered with superthive 30min before digging and dug out about 12 in from the middle. This little plant had an extensive root system, anyway after geting it out, I quickly diped it in water to wash off as much dirt possible without doing anymore damage to the roots. The ideal thing to do would have been to leave most the dirt around the root ball but since moving it to 100% coco I didn’t want soil messing with the balance of coco. Went with a one gallon because of coco's hydroponic nature and heard people get good results with them. With the bottom of the pot lined with sandstone chips placed it and filled with coco. Watered again with the supertrive mix and there ya go. Here are some question for you guys.
1. Is there a chance?
2. Is sandstone bad to help with drainage?
3. Has anybody tried something like this with peppers?

There she is afterwards :pray: Advice welcome
20141024_201508_zpsi1nnzszd.jpg

1. Yuuuup
2. Meeeeh. Personally, I don't follow the odds and sods at the bottom of the pot for drainage paradigm. More coir, more roots. More roots, more fruits. I hate gardening cliches....
3. Blister comes to mind quickly, there are a few others if you roll through the glog section.

Slizarus, it's better to clean as much off as possible, but not an absolute. So long as you weren't going from a 1gal soil to 2gal coir (re: ideally a high ratio of coir:soil) you're gold.

Here is an update of the plant I moved from the ground to 100% coco. Its getting good vegetation growth and even set a couple pods but now its seems there is some kind of deficiency and no blooming flowers. I noticed the leaves getting wrinkles so I flushed with just tap water a couple days ago and It seems like its happier.  Still working on setting up a grow light but for now its in a big south facing window.
d69e24eb-4692-4b05-aa6e-69cb373f7a71_zps297099dd.jpg

Yep. Had some great results with coco in my first run with it last year. It's a fairly forgiving medium. Will be starting up again come January.

Neil

Hi. That looks super healthy, given its past issues. Maybe a little too green, if that's even a thing!

You talk about wrinkled leaves, I think maybe you could dial back the nitrogen a fraction. Wrinkled and deformed leaves are a common sign of, very slightly over doing it. Nothing to worry about, just very slight adjustments. Also excess nitrogen may have a link to your lack of flower set. What are your night time temps, that's the only other thing I can think of that may be issue?

Grass Snake said:
Here is an update of the plant I moved from the ground to 100% coco. Its getting good vegetation growth and even set a couple pods but now its seems there is some kind of deficiency and no blooming flowers. I noticed the leaves getting wrinkles so I flushed with just tap water a couple days ago and It seems like its happier.  Still working on setting up a grow light but for now its in a big south facing window.
d69e24eb-4692-4b05-aa6e-69cb373f7a71_zps297099dd.jpg
Have you tried mycorrhizal fungi? That may help or some bone meal. 

I dose with bonnies plant food (8-4-4) every third watering full strenth. Almost out and trying to decide what nutes to go with next.
organic pepper said:
Have you tried mycorrhizal fungi? That may help or some bone meal.
No I havent but I heard good things.
Blister said:
Yep. Had some great results with coco in my first run with it last year. It's a fairly forgiving medium. Will be starting up again come January.
Neil
I seen your glog and its amazing. So much good info on there, I need to continue reading.
heefy said:
Hi. That looks super healthy, given its past issues. Maybe a little too green, if that's even a thing!You talk about wrinkled leaves, I think maybe you could dial back the nitrogen a fraction. Wrinkled and deformed leaves are a common sign of, very slightly over doing it. Nothing to worry about, just very slight adjustments. Also excess nitrogen may have a link to your lack of flower set. What are your night time temps, that's the only other thing I can think of that may be issue?
That is very possible, and my night temps are 65 to 70 in my house.

Back