• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

En-gi-nerd's Hydro Glog

I thought I would compile some photos here to track my progress. I would love to hear from anyone that has questions, concerns or criticisms of what I am doing - an open forum can lead to great improvements. I don't take things personally - I'm in it for the peppers.

This is my second run at hydro peppers (and tomatoes) - I let the first one get way out of hand and it became expensive during the summer due to our power company's "Two Tier" system and the fact that I was running 20 T5 bulbs at a little over 1000 total watts! This system is scaled down considerably and is being run much more efficiently.

The set up: I have a Hydrofarm 2x4 flood table, Rubbermaid storage bin for a reservoir (~16 gallon max? I run about 12 gallons in it), 3/4" tubing that supplies ~1/8" feed lines, (1) 250 submersible pump for the supply and (1) 250 pump for mixing that runs continuously. I am growing in Grodan rockwool Hugo's (6"x6") although, as can be seen, I started some things in Hydroton but eventually transplanted them to rockwool. I have also created an enclosure made from foam core board (Home Depot) covered in Mylar to reflect back as much light as I can, and I have a Mylar coated, foam core door that closes it all in. The top is always open to allow a fan to pump in air. I also have a couple of seed warming mats under the table to keep things warm(er) through the night.

Lighting: I started everything under a 4-bulb, T5 fixture but eventually ponied up for a Sun Systems LEC (light emitting ceramic) 315 combined ballast/fixture which I have been EXTREMELY happy with. It is a ceramic metal halide that gives a nice well rounded spectrum and long life. Not much more power usage then the T5's but far greater light (I think).

Nutrients and additives: I am using Botanicare's Kind (3 part) formula for nutrients. I started with the "grow" nutrient schedule and have settled on the "transitional" schedule as peppers do not have specific grow and bloom phases like the weed this stuff was designed for - just a nice, well rounded diet. I also add Botanicare's Pure Blend Tea, Cal-Mag supplement and, due to a case of root rot, I started using Cannazyme (eats dead organic matter, i.e. dead roots) and Rapid Start root accelerator both of which have increased growth considerably.

For all that I have put into this I probably should have grown pot and made some money back! Alas, I am simply growing the worlds most expensive chiles. I don't even want to think about breaking this down into price per pepper!

10/23 - Started seeds around the end of September/early October. Also took some cuttings from the garden around the same time. Most cuttings did not take as with some seeds. I transplanted the seedlings around 10/23 and watched the magic happen. The Bhut in the front was transplanted from the garden - it was a stick due to poor summer growth and late summer hail storm. It looked great after a very short time in the system but then... let's say I know what symptoms of root rot look like now (it is slowly recovering).

This was taken 11/7 and things are getting moving. Again the transplanted Bhut is still doing great (front, right of center) as is the Moruga cutting (front, far right)! 

This one is from 11/20. 

11/26 - Here is an interesting "twin" blossom (Moruga). Unfortunately it dropped not long after this photo but it actually started to fruit! Notice the increased petals, double pistil and extra stamen.

... And today (12/7). The Bhut (front, left of center) is bouncing back but slowly. It is trying to flower and I have been letting it. I should probably pick all the blossoms and let it refocus on growth. I may just cut it back to a stump again.

I've been topping and pruning like some sadistic barber but things are bouncing back as I hoped. Lot's of bushy new growth. I am trying to keep the height down a bit so things don't start shading each other. I will try and keep this updated for those who are interested. I have also done a ton of research and would be happy to help anyone that has questions!

Looks great. You clearly look like you have the hydro thing figured out.

One question for you though. Have you ever taken a c.chinense plant to full maturity yet? One of your bhut plants will easily get 4-5' tall and 4-5' wide in 8 months or less. I'm not sure how big yours will truly grow unless you give them more rockwool cubes to grow into though, but for plants in a DWC all year, the roots will fill the 5 gallon bucket.

Jeff H said:
Looks great. You clearly look like you have the hydro thing figured out.

One question for you though. Have you ever taken a c.chinense plant to full maturity yet? One of your bhut plants will easily get 4-5' tall and 4-5' wide in 8 months or less. I'm not sure how big yours will truly grow unless you give them more rockwool cubes to grow into though, but for plants in a DWC all year, the roots will fill the 5 gallon bucket.
To answer your question: no. I am hoping (planning, actually) that I can keep them somewhat dwarfed so they don't outgrow the space I have. As I hone in on a particular chile I'd like to focus on I may start to thin the herd. I can take cuttings of the NuMex types and Jalapeños and they will do fine in the garden as do some others but I'd like to keep my best sauce peppers and some superhots going inside.

Looking great so far. I started dabbling with hydro last year as well and had decent results. Hoping to improve on it this year. Will be followingoing your glog to see how things turn or for you.

Neil

Back