• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Should I germinate some more - but it's almost May!

I have just not been having much luck with my Reapers.

They either don't germinate, or, they germinate then something happens and they die/get killed.

My one and only surviving Reaper plant has been in its hypococtyl stage for weeks because something fell on it and decapitating the seed leaves and true leaves. the remaining stalk has not differentiated enough to make up it's mind what it wants to be.

So, now that the weather is warmer, shall I germinate what reaper seeds I have left, and give it one more go - not for this season, but for 2016?

But: I only have a juilette balcony, and already have some nagas, congo yellows, and a few others on the go. So space is a real issue here...

Any ideas?

Honestly, you probably need to wait. You could start a plant now, but it's not likely to produce pods this season. You could over winter it if you have the space. That will give you a head start on next year. Just don't go into thinking you'll get pods this year. Good Luck!

Tim

peppernovice said:
  Honestly, you probably need to wait. You could start a plant now, but it's not likely to produce pods this season. You could over winter it if you have the space. That will give you a head start on next year. Just don't go into thinking you'll get pods this year. Good Luck!

Tim
Thanks - that's what I have in mind as well. I don't expect pods, I just want a healthy, living plant, overwinter it for next year. Where I live I don't get that much sun or heat, so chilli growing really is a "hobby" - fun thing to do than any kind of commercial venture.

Calamari Kid said:
I have just not been having much luck with my Reapers.

They either don't germinate, or, they germinate then something happens and they die/get killed.

My one and only surviving Reaper plant has been in its hypococtyl stage for weeks because something fell on it and decapitating the seed leaves and true leaves. the remaining stalk has not differentiated enough to make up it's mind what it wants to be.

So, now that the weather is warmer, shall I germinate what reaper seeds I have left, and give it one more go - not for this season, but for 2016?

But: I only have a juilette balcony, and already have some nagas, congo yellows, and a few others on the go. So space is a real issue here...

Any ideas?
You can put the reapers indoor so they wont die from the winter before they fruit.

Noah Yates said:
That actually sounds like a fun idea.  You could theoretically plant a bunch of reapers and choose the strongest to be your over-winter(s).  By this time next year you could have one of the most awesome reaper plants out there.
Thanks - hadn't thought of that! I might germinate some other ones too. I can think of a few chilli heads who would appreciate a Super hot plant for Christmas!

Epicfire said:
You can put the reapers indoor so they wont die from the winter before they fruit.

Yesss...ish. I'll put them outside if they get big enough LOL!

That's my "hang up" - plants that have been outside - don't come back in. I know other people do it, and it works perfectly fin for them. But I just have a phobia about having to "fumigate" my home if I brought bugs in. I mean, it is a sort of non-point because I could have an infestation either way, just that I guess my rule is (psychological) pre-emptive damage control.

If you decide to do that, I would definitely recommend keeping them in pots, because I find that the transplanting from the ground to the pot in the fall really takes its toll.  Your chances of successfuly over-wintering your favorite plants will increase if you can just take the pot inside and prune the plant, avoiding the shock which comes with transplanting from ground to plastic.  Next season you can increase the pot size or transplant into a raised bed or the earth.

Noah Yates said:
If you decide to do that, I would definitely recommend keeping them in pots, because I find that the transplanting from the ground to the pot in the fall really takes its toll.  Your chances of successfuly over-wintering your favorite plants will increase if you can just take the pot inside and prune the plant, avoiding the shock which comes with transplanting from ground to plastic.  Next season you can increase the pot size or transplant into a raised bed or the earth.
Hey, thanks for the info. That is great to know, it's so good to learn something new. I try best to not shock my plants and take it slow when prepping them for being taken outside.

I have no ground to plant into at the moment, so eveything are in pots. :)

By the way, I also think you have a chance being able to see which plants produce the most aubundant and/or gnarly looking pods before you select them, depending on how well they do before you have to cut them back and bring them in.  If you take really good care of them, they may start to crown and develop mini, immature peppers just before the season ends.  If so, that should be the phenotypic trait you value over vigor.  In other words, a plant with a 2 inch thick stem that grows to be 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide, but only produces 7 ripe pods isnt as nice as a 3 foot by 3 foot plant that produces 50+ ripe pods.

Noah Yates said:
..... a plant with a 2 inch thick stem that grows to be 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide, but only produces 7 ripe pods isnt as nice as a 3 foot by 3 foot plant that produces 50+ ripe pods.
The first one would be cool for grafting tho!

But that opens a whole other can of worms where chilli genes transfer from stock to scion....

But the thought of a 3 x 3 footer that is prolific is a *VERY* attractive thought! Hmmm.....

In 2013 I had a black hab that fit that exact description (8 feet tall and 4 feet wide... dark green and robust...) but it did not produce one ripe chili by the end of the season.  In late october, as the frost was about to hit, it finally started crowing...   (it was an old plant too; started in January.)

Calamari Kid said:
Thanks - hadn't thought of that! I might germinate some other ones too. I can think of a few chilli heads who would appreciate a Super hot plant for Christmas!

Yesss...ish. I'll put them outside if they get big enough LOL!

That's my "hang up" - plants that have been outside - don't come back in. I know other people do it, and it works perfectly fin for them. But I just have a phobia about having to "fumigate" my home if I brought bugs in. I mean, it is a sort of non-point because I could have an infestation either way, just that I guess my rule is (psychological) pre-emptive damage control.

Even if a few buggies do get in, it's not like they'll be setting up shop and multiplying.  FWIW, I had about a dozen large plants in the house found last winter, and didn't find more than half a dozen bugs in all.

If you're really worried, a light application of pyrithrin-based spray should kill most of the critters.

I am germinating still. Just planted a few today. Might in a week as well. However I am doing so with the intent of overwintering. I have a big hoophouse made, and my winters are already fairly mild. Could you bring that one Reaper plant indoors? If so I say go for it. Reap the reward next grow season.

*Edit: never mind read your others posts. Well maybe you can create a makeshift mini-greenhouse just for that one Reaper plant to overwinter on the balcony? :)

or, they germinate then something happens and they die/get killed.

Might want to investigate that 'something' a little more so you don't repeat it. Did you germinate those other peppers on your balcony or did you pick em up from a nursery?

I'm still germinating in the UK.
The growing season here is so short I think most chilli's need to be either in a greenhouse or indoors under lights.
I'll be putting a reaper in both situations and see what happens.
From my first batch, germinated in January, I've had pods for a few weeks on my thai sc and just had the first turn red.

OK, the deed is done. I am now the proud mam of 3 reaper seedlings and 6 more Jay's ghost-scorpion are on the way.

Let's hope they make it this time. These are the 2 breeds that i have the least luck with.

Back