• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bending towards the light... even if it's too bright?

I have a Spektrum King LED light (300 Model:  http://spectrumkingled.com/our-grow-lights/)with a 90 degree lens and although it seems strong (and I have some plants with signs of being a little too close) some plants still seem to be bending a bit towards the center of the light.  I think maybe the 120 degree model would have been better for my setup.

I was wondering if plants will bend towards the strongest source of light, even if the light is too bright?  In my case from a directional light at a static location?    The light seems to be pretty strong still at the edges of my grow area.

As a side note... with the inverse square law for light strength and a 90 degree lens, it doesn't seem like it would help to raise the light up any more.  I tested that idea pretty roughly with a lux meter...

Thanks

They will naturally bend to the light. Especially if it's bright. Just look at how plants seem to worship that big ball of nuclear fusion in the sky.

Best way to mitigate that is to add more lights so they don't have to bend... more lights directly above them. Reflectors will also help

No need to break out the inverse square law unless you're concerned about radiation doses.

phil absolutely correct , they started off facing the sun this morning and by evening were bent to the west grabbing for those u.v.'s !         :onfire:

Thanks. I knew they normally seek light and would bend towards it. I just wasn't sure if they still do it if they are getting too much. For example, if you put three lights over a plant, two on the left and one on the right... would they bend towards the brighter side with two lights, even if they already have "enough" light? It seems like a similar thing could happen with a single very directional led light.

Back