• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pot Size Question

The cal/mag can be applied in a very light amount every time or every other time you fert. This may be dependant on the hardness of your water. You just don't want to overdo it, because it can lock up your plants. However, when applied correctly it will heavily bolster the weight of your pods, and make them thicker and crunchier. If you overdo it, the leaves will be wrinkled and grow oddly. They might be twisted, or curled, or have large bumps.

Big bloom should also be applied simultaneously, but you can be very liberal with it. I'll go through 2 gallons of big bloom before I go through 1 gallon of Tiger bloom. Big bloom is also perfect for seedlings.

Make sure you add plenty of water before adding fertilizers (especially calmag) as it may render the nutrients unusable to the plant if ferts are mixed alone before adding water.

My best results are achieved by fertilizing lightly, but at a higher interval for soil plants. For my coco plants I fert slightly more heavily, and usually do 2 fertilizations, followed by a light watering the next time the media drys out. This helps prevent salt build up and the PH from dropping too much.

If you notice nutrient lockout or burns, flush the pot immediately with 2 to 3 times the amount of the pot with water. Continue with a light fert the next time the soil drys out and things return to normal.

slade122 said:
The cal/mag can be applied in a very light amount every time or every other time you fert. This may be dependant on the hardness of your water. You just don't want to overdo it, because it can lock up your plants. However, when applied correctly it will heavily bolster the weight of your pods, and make them thicker and crunchier. If you overdo it, the leaves will be wrinkled and grow oddly. They might be twisted, or curled, or have large bumps.

Big bloom should also be applied simultaneously, but you can be very liberal with it. I'll go through 2 gallons of big bloom before I go through 1 gallon of Tiger bloom. Big bloom is also perfect for seedlings.

Make sure you add plenty of water before adding fertilizers (especially calmag) as it may render the nutrients unusable to the plant if ferts are mixed alone before adding water.

My best results are achieved by fertilizing lightly, but at a higher interval for soil plants. For my coco plants I fert slightly more heavily, and usually do 2 fertilizations, followed by a light watering the next time the media drys out. This helps prevent salt build up and the PH from dropping too much.

If you notice nutrient lockout or burns, flush the pot immediately with 2 to 3 times the amount of the pot with water. Continue with a light fert the next time the soil drys out and things return to normal.

Awesome info, thank you.

M

mlittle74 said:
Is there an easy way to tell when a plant has take all the root space?  Do you have to take it out of the container to check?

M

The easiest way is to let the roots grow so much that they actually pop out the top of the coco then curl back down like this...

Or pull it and have a look at the root ball like this...

Though growing in a semi-hydroponic system like coco is a bit different than you'll find with soil.

Neil

What's the best way to promote root growth? I just pulled a reaper from a 3g pot and replanted into a 5 gallon bucket hydro-grow setup and the root ball wasn't really that impressive and had plenty of room to grow in the 3g pot. The plant is perfectly healthy and probably 24" tall...so not a small seedling either.

11811541_881633105262631_473228402194251893_n.jpg

11811476_881633148595960_2860061444578560063_n.jpg

11781897_881633188595956_3684617825716810008_n.jpg

Here they are around the 2- 2 1/2 month mark

Back