• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Finding Mnemo

Welcome to my grow log.

A bit of a backstory – I’m from British Columbia, Canada. I’ve always had a penchant for spicy food but there isn’t a lot available locally in terms of fresh pods outside of your standard jalapeno, and habanero peppers. So I decided, eh, I’ll try my hand at growing my own. I came here, I read, and read, I watched videos on YouTube, and read some more – started building a list of what I needed (or “wanted” if you ask my girlfriend) to purchase to make it happen. Now three months later, here I am.

I am currently growing the following peppers at home:
Jalapeno
Purple Jalapeno
Habanero
Jamaican Hot Red Habanero
Pepperoncini
Fatalii (coming along VERY slowly)
Trinidad Perfume Pepper (coming along VERY slowly)
Kung Pao Hybrid

I am currently growing the following peppers at work in our garden:
Giant Marconi
NuMex Big Jim
Jalapeno
Kung Pao Hybrid

This is how it all started,
image.jpg

A variety of tomatoes, peppers, and herbs that I planted using dirt that I took from the ground (if I only I knew then what I know now…)

[
image.jpg

“Jalapeno plants” and a Mammoth Basil plant coming along nicely I’ll explain the quotations later…

image.jpg

Jalapeno seedlings for delivery! From talking to people at work I was able to convince a few people to get into growing vegetables (it’s a hard thing to get people in to at my age) and I wanted to have people to talk to about my new passion with. I didn’t want this to be just for me, I wanted to have plenty to give away (and perform horrific science experiments on).

image.jpg

Over the course of time and due to people’s suggestions my growing set up changed, and more money was spent much to the dismay of my girlfriend.

Since she was already mad, more seeds seemed like a good idea (and the addiction began!)

image.jpg

You can imagine my excitement when my purple jalapeno seedling had purple cotys (and later purple flowers), I’d never seen anything like it.

image.jpg

Out of all the seedlings I had grown to date it was the quickest to develop. I like to think that I was getting better at this.

image.jpg

As time progressed my plants outgrew the light cage and moved to the window sill. Signs of life in the plants, and my first pods emerged. As this was an extra experimental pepper I decided to let it do its thing.

image.jpg

One giant step for Mnemosynesis one giant leap for pepper growing kind. My first plants had moved out. A “Jalapeno” and a Habanero plant.

image.jpg

As time progressed they all slowly moved outside. Aside from window sill time, I must admit that I didn’t harden off a single plant and they did alright. Temps have been in the 30-37 degrees Celsius range for the past three weeks now.

image.jpg

I had my dad over on Canada Day for lunch and was showing him my Jalapeno plant when I realized that my Jalapeno plant was in fact a Kung Pao plant. I didn’t notice the pods as they were so small and thin they looked like extensions of the plant itself. I must have mislabeled my peat pellet trays that I first used before changing my technique.

image.jpg

I won’t be winning any gnarly pod competitions any time soon, but I thought my first habanero pod was pretty bad ass.

image.jpg

My first Purple Jalapeno flower dying off, I can’t wait to see the pod it produces.

I will keep this grow log frequently updated, as well as answer any questions you may have about what I’m using, or what I’ve been doing. I’ve had a lot of fun learning, and developing this far and am looking forward to July and August when a lot of these plants will have ripe pods.

Amazing! I'll be following your grow log. Your story looks a lot like mine, I also started this year, with lots of seeds!

How many plants do you have total? One of each kind? Or more?

Wolf1888 said:
Amazing! I'll be following your grow log. Your story looks a lot like mine, I also started this year, with lots of seeds!

How many plants do you have total? One of each kind? Or more?
I have 8 pepper plants at home on the patio and currently 4 tomato plants, soon to be 6. I have 9 more at work, and more getting added to it. I've probably started about 50 pepper plants to about week five before giving them away to friends and coworkers. I saved a few to try pruning and topping to see the differences. I've also experimented with fertilizers and such.

mpicante said:
Very nice good luck on your grow?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UtVjRG7PB_4

Mnemosynesis said:
Welcome to my grow log.

A bit of a backstory – I’m from British Columbia, Canada. I’ve always had a penchant for spicy food but there isn’t a lot available locally in terms of fresh pods outside of your standard jalapeno, and habanero peppers. So I decided, eh, I’ll try my hand at growing my own. I came here, I read, and read, I watched videos on YouTube, and read some more – started building a list of what I needed (or “wanted” if you ask my girlfriend) to purchase to make it happen. Now three months later, here I am.

I am currently growing the following peppers at home:
Jalapeno
Purple Jalapeno
Habanero
Pepperoncini
Fatalii (coming along VERY slowly)
Trinidad Perfume Pepper (coming along VERY slowly)
Kung Pao Hybrid

I am currently growing the following peppers at work in our garden:
Giant Marconi
NuMex Big Jim
Jalapeno
Kung Pao Hybrid

This is how it all started,
image.jpg

A variety of tomatoes, peppers, and herbs that I planted using dirt that I took from the ground (if I only I knew then what I know now…)

[
image.jpg

“Jalapeno plants” and a Mammoth Basil plant coming along nicely I’ll explain the quotations later…

image.jpg

Jalapeno seedlings for delivery! From talking to people at work I was able to convince a few people to get into growing vegetables (it’s a hard thing to get people in to at my age) and I wanted to have people to talk to about my new passion with. I didn’t want this to be just for me, I wanted to have plenty to give away (and perform horrific science experiments on).

image.jpg

Over the course of time and due to people’s suggestions my growing set up changed, and more money was spent much to the dismay of my girlfriend.

Since she was already mad, more seeds seemed like a good idea (and the addiction began!)

image.jpg

You can imagine my excitement when my purple jalapeno seedling had purple cotys (and later purple flowers), I’d never seen anything like it.

image.jpg

Out of all the seedlings I had grown to date it was the quickest to develop. I like to think that I was getting better at this.

image.jpg

As time progressed my plants outgrew the light cage and moved to the window sill. Signs of life in the plants, and my first pods emerged. As this was an extra experimental pepper I decided to let it do its thing.

image.jpg

One giant step for Mnemosynesis one giant leap for pepper growing kind. My first plants had moved out. A “Jalapeno” and a Habanero plant.

image.jpg

As time progressed they all slowly moved outside. Aside from window sill time, I must admit that I didn’t harden off a single plant and they did alright. Temps have been in the 30-37 degrees Celsius range for the past three weeks now.

image.jpg

I had my dad over on Canada Day for lunch and was showing him my Jalapeno plant when I realized that my Jalapeno plant was in fact a Kung Pao plant. I didn’t notice the pods as they were so small and thin they looked like extensions of the plant itself. I must have mislabeled my peat pellet trays that I first used before changing my technique.

image.jpg

I won’t be winning any gnarly pod competitions any time soon, but I thought my first habanero pod was pretty bad ass.

image.jpg

My first Purple Jalapeno flower dying off, I can’t wait to see the pod it produces.

I will keep this grow log frequently updated, as well as answer any questions you may have about what I’m using, or what I’ve been doing. I’ve had a lot of fun learning, and developing this far and am looking forward to July and August when a lot of these plants will have ripe pods.
looks like the pepper addiction has started. Need to get seeds for next year from members here. The fun thing here at Thp you can grow new types no one has the next year because our members are soooo giving, pepperlover(Judy), seacowboy(Jason) and others. Just send your address and I will hook you up. Strat out stay spicy everyone

Mnemosynesis said:
From talking to people at work I was able to convince a few people to get into growing vegetables (it’s a hard thing to get people in to at my age) and I wanted to have people to talk to about my new passion with. I didn’t want this to be just for me, I wanted to have plenty to give away (and perform horrific science experiments on).

You sound just like me! I checked your profile and we're the same age. I totally got obsessed with growing peppers this year (my first time trying too). I overdid some things, planting too many seeds etc. and struggled to give a lot away. 

If you'd like I'll be more than happy to hook you up with more seeds later in the season. 

image.jpg

First ripe pod ever!

Sliced it up and barbequed it with lime on one of the sockeye salmons I had from last year. So damn good!

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Just a small update before I leave for four days camping.

image.jpg

Really falling in love with the Habanero plant itself, it's quite beautiful and stalwart.

image.jpg

It probably doesn't look it, but this Kung Pao hybrid is nearing 4' tall. I tried one of the green pods the other day and it was quite nice. Habanero to date is still my favourite pepper flavour though.

image.jpg

Such long pods. I'm happy the weather is cooling down it's been 94 degrees Fahrenheit for nearly 3 weeks now. Peppers have been dropping a lot of buds - really hoping to see the turn around in the coming week of cooler weather.

image.jpg

Habaneros everywhere. It doesn't seem to mind the heat. From the looks of the amount of buds on the plant this guy is going to be a big producer.

A few update pictures, been busy as of late. I thought the cooler temperatures we've been having would stop the bud drop on my peppers. They're still growing a lot of new peppers, but they are dropping A LOT of buds. Is this a normal thing?

I ate the first habanero that ripened on my plant, it was yellow (no pictures) which I'm happy about the seed bag was a mix of red/yellow. Although it tasted like sheer battery acid and was significantly hotter then the ones in the grocery store. I'm hoping the latter ones will have more of the flavor I enjoy.

image.jpg

More Habanero pictures, they have an interesting shape. Like clouds, you can pull out an object out of every one...

image.jpg

Purple Jalapenos coming in very nicely. There are a bunch in the plant, and they look awesome.

image.jpg

Lots of little guys starting with even more on the way!

image.jpg

Pepperoncini peppers are coming in!

image.jpg

Trinidad Perfume (right) Fatalii (left) Trinidad perfume has really turned around from being a sickly seedling. There are little buds starting to form!

A few update pictures, been busy as of late. I thought the cooler temperatures we've been having would stop the bud drop on my peppers. They're still growing a lot of new peppers, but they are dropping A LOT of buds. Is this a normal thing?

I ate the first habanero that ripened on my plant, it was yellow (no pictures) which I'm happy about the seed bag was a mix of red/yellow. Although it tasted like sheer battery acid and was significantly hotter then the ones in the grocery store. I'm hoping the latter ones will have more of the flavor I enjoy.

image.jpg

More Habanero pictures, they have an interesting shape. Like clouds, you can pull out an object out of every one...

image.jpg

Purple Jalapenos coming in very nicely. There are a bunch in the plant, and they look awesome.

image.jpg

Lots of little guys starting with even more on the way!

image.jpg

Pepperoncini peppers are coming in!

image.jpg

Trinidad Perfume (right) Fatalii (left) Trinidad perfume has really turned around from being a sickly seedling. There are little buds starting to form!

Back