• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Pool Solar Blankets...Ripoff

Nothing more than heavy duty bubble wrap. Any ideas who manufactures this material, or how to buy this stuff, cheap?

no clue.

are you trying to actually heat a pool?

if so black LDPE films at the bottom of the pool work very well. wont hold the heat in overnight thought.

yea we had some for a while... its a huge pita. the roll was like two water heaters end on end.

waters warm enough by like march anyway.

queequeg152 said:
yea we had some for a while... its a huge pita. the roll was like two water heaters end on end.

waters warm enough by like march anyway.
Yeah, in that Lone Star furnace, I'll bet the water is warm in March!

No idea where to find it cheap, but I made an awesome portable ice shack out of that stuff years ago (dumpster diving...lol). I could run a heater for like five minutes and fish in a t shirt for an hour or so in -20 temps before I had to turn the heater back on. It eventually disintegrated from the sun...

Evaporation probably cools the water quite a lot more than direct thermal transfer to the air.
I bet that any covering, no matter how thin, will work well enough.  Just make sure the surface stays dry.

I worked for a swimming pool supply mail order company for a few years. Solar covers are a little pricey when considering what they appear to be, but do what they are claimed to do when properly fitted and used. They serve a function In both heated as well as non heated pools by not allowing heat to escape directly into the atmosphere and absorbing heat during sunny days and transferring it to the water. We sold them by the 1000s.

fwiw. ours lasted a very long time... like 20 years in the garage. it got used for like 2 years when they first built the pool... there after it sat in the garage baking at 100+f. when we tossed it, it was still in good condition.

Back