labels labels for Sauce Bottles

Hi 

I've been looking around at some suaces and some of the labels I've seen are looking very professional. At the moment we do ours with A4 sheets of adhesive labels and MS Word.  Does anyone here use specealist software or hardware to create quality looking lables. We make a few sauces for friends, family and we sell a few down at the local market too.

Thanks

portreath said:
Hi 

I've been looking around at some suaces and some of the labels I've seen are looking very professional. At the moment we do ours with A4 sheets of adhesive labels and MS Word.  Does anyone here use specealist software or hardware to create quality looking lables. We make a few sauces for friends, family and we sell a few down at the local market too.

Thanks
Labels are subject of regulatory control when selling to consumers. Statement of net weight must meet compliance for font size, for example. Materials are also important to consider - you don't want the label to peel off if it gets a little wet, you don't want it to fade in sunlight, etc. and it should fit the bottle well for aesthetics.

I have my labels printed at a digital print shop. They run about $.07 ea, plus or minus depending on how many I make at a time. Typically I'm making 10,000 at a time (or more) to get that price. For very short runs the price skyrockets ($300 minimum order, so yeah - making 50 or 100 labels would be impractical) but it's worthwhile. - paper labels give a product a home-made feel, which for a regulated industry is a bad look.

Good luck.

Some use Photoshop, there are other graphics programs like Adobe Illustrator and Coral. I've done a ton with MS Word. As LDHS mentioned, if you are selling, whoever is your licensing agency will dictate what information needs to be on the label.

Have fun!
SL

Thanks very much for the heads up and info. Out here in the Canary Islands it's quite different, for instance we look at some of the local produced products in stores and the information on the jars is quite limited, where as produce from big manufacturers that is shipped in carries all of the usual information. I'm off to speak with a legal beagle this week so I'll get the low down on what's required. There are a load of Hippy arty types on our island that would love a crack at drawing up some fancy graphics and then go down to the local print shop. Will let you know what develops.

Looks like you're all set, but GIMP is an open source version of Photoshop, meaning it's free. It's a little less intuitive than PSP, but it's very easy to google/ YouTube the answer to most issues.

I saw the fuerteventura as location, and didnt' have time to google where that might be.  As you say, things are different in other countries and regions.  Follow what works for your area. 

Hope some of the suggestions work for your labels.  There is a LOT you can do just with MS Word,  inserting images, curved and shadowed graphics.... 

A lot of folks post "nick names" of their locations also.  When I first posted in THP I listed my location as WA, as in WAshington State, but a lot of people took it to be WA as in Western Australia.  Much better after clarifying that on the Profile~  :lol: 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Ah - didn't realize you were on an island somewhere - check your local laws. If you ever intend to export to the U.S., you'll probably have a lot of work to do. :cheers:
Haha Yes, it's a small dot in the Atlantic. I only make for local markets etc so I won't be invading the USA with my Chilli sauce just yet, and besides I guess you guys have chilli sauces down to a fine art. Thanks for all the comments and info.

portreath said:
Haha Yes, it's a small dot in the Atlantic. I only make for local markets etc so I won't be invading the USA with my Chilli sauce just yet, and besides I guess you guys have chilli sauces down to a fine art. Thanks for all the comments and info.

Always room to learn.  I'd love to trade sauces with you some time.  :)

This is SO COOL!  We are talking with a sauce maker in the Canary Islands!  Just thinking about this.... prior to the www is there ever any chance I would of ever heard about Fuerteventura?

Anyway, back to labels- you can do a lot with  home printed labels, but at some point, it has to go with a professional printer.  I don't think you are at that level yet, so in the mean time, if you have good internet access...

Avery Labels makes a lot of different label sizes and you can download free templates for all of them.  InkJet, Laser, whatever...they can still work with some of the graphics programs and with MS Word.  This works great if you can buy the labels and use the templates for quick and easy printing.

For some projects that need a size that is not available as a pre-cut label, I use a full page label, and usually use the local print shop (which can do color printing since I cheaped-out on our last printer purchase and got a black and white only printer...)  and cut the labels out to size by hand.  Definitley not the way to go for any size production, but it works for small batches. 

Back