• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Grillin' & Chillin' Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441668351.656002.jpg

nice, small fire ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441668375.290069.jpg

tri-tip w/ DruBQ ...

DruBQ Combo Plate:

We're starting things off with a Light & Stormy - a variation on the classic Dark & Stormy rum drink I was introduced to last summer.  We make it with 2oz light rum, 6oz homemade ginger ale, ice and a slice of lemon.  My recipe for homemade fermented ginger ale can be found in Rawk's thread here.

2rothf5.jpg

Now onto our main course - the DruBQ Combo Plate.  We've got plenty of brisket!

71jsx4.jpg

A serious amount of pulled pork....Papa goes WOOF for dat bark son!!

2yjxxf9.jpg

Don't forget to save room for them ribs... ;)

4r5kaw.jpg

Without further ado, I present to you the DruBQ!!  

wioy0l.jpg

From the top:  cowboy beans, home grown cabbage & carrot slaw, pulled pork slider, st louis spare ribs and some sliced brisket.   Eat this plate and go directly to bed lol..

Here's all the recipes:

Light & Stormy Cocktail -

2 oz your favorite rum
6 oz ginger ale
squeezed lemon to taste
ice

Smoke Roast Brisket - 

1 point on brisket, 12-18lbs
12 oz dalmation rub (5 oz sea salt, 4 oz fresh ground black peppercorns, 1 oz lemon pepper blend, 1 oz granulated garlic, 1/2 oz onion powder, 1/2 oz turmeric)
bbq sauce - if you want it...

Preheat smoker to 250 degrees.
Put brisket into a large foil or other roasting pan.
Trim top layer of fat on brisket down to at least 1/2" but make sure to leave at least 1/4" on all around.
Rub it all over with the dalmation rub - pat it in real good.
When smoker is hot place beef fat side up on top rack and add your wood chunks.  We used apple and oak on this one.
Smoke roast until done (~195 to 205 internal).  This brisket took 16 hours and then rested wrapped in butcher paper and old towels in a cooler for 2.5 hours before slicing.
Resting is KEY to this or any other smoked/roasted meat.  

Slow & Low Pulled Pork -

1 boston butt pork roast - 8-12lbs
10 oz DruBQ rub 
bbq sauce of your choice (carolina bbq sauce recipe to follow)

Preheat smoker to 225 degrees.
Put pork butt in a large foil or other roasting pan
Sprinkle rub generously over the meat - be sure to move it around and get as much rub as possible into all the nooks and crannies.  
When smoker is hot place the pork butt fat side up on the top rack and add your wood chunks.  We used apple, cherry and a little bit of hickory on this one.
Smoke roast until done (~198 internal).  This pork butt took 12 hours and then rested wrapped in butcher paper and old towels in a cooler for 2.5 hours before pulling.
Remember: resting is KEY to this or any other smoked/roasted meat. 

After 2.5 hours both the brisket and pork butt were 155 degrees internal when we cut/pulled and served.  

Competition St Louis Spare Ribs:

3 racks St Louis Spare Ribs (1 cryo pack of ribs from Costco)
6 oz plochman's mustard
13 oz DruBQ rub
8 oz apple juice - mixed with 1 oz rub
bbq sauce of your choice

Preheat smoker to 250 degrees.
Put ribs on a sheet pan or other large roasting pan.  Trim excess fat and remove membrane from bottom of the ribs.
Add 1 oz of mustard to the bottom (bone side) of each rack.  Sprinkle generously with rub.  Flip and repeat mustard slather/rub sprinkle process.
When smoker is hot place the ribs bone side down on the top rack and add your wood chunks.  We used apple and cherry for these.
Smoke 2 hours, then pull the ribs.  Place them bone side UP on two sheets of foil, add 3 oz apple juice/rub mix to each rack and seal the foil tightly against the ribs.  Place foiled ribs back in smoker and cook for about another hour.  I say 'about' because when you take them off you need to be testing 'the bend' - that is how do the ribs bend when held in the middle of the rack by a pair of tongs.  We're foiling to get tender, but we don't want em falling apart.  If you've got good bend on the ribs after 2 hours then only give them about 40 minutes in the foil.  Once they're finished and you pull them from the foil (pour off and save the liquid!) put them back on the smoker bone side DOWN.  They've got about 1 more hour to get amazing.  Take 1 cup of the reserved liquid and mix it with 1 cup of ketchup.  Mix well and taste - if it seems a bit thick or bland add some rub or a little more of the reserved liquid.  When the ribs have 20-30 minutes left and are bending well it's time to glaze them with your sauce.  Brush the sauce on - not too little, not too much - and then cover them for 20-30 minutes so the sauce can tack up.  When finished pull the ribs and let sit for at least 15 minutes, then slice and serve with more sauce on the side.  

Cowboy Beans - 

3 cups dried pintos, picked over and soaked overnight in 12 cups water
4 cups home made chicken broth
6 oz onion, chopped
6 oz smoked home made pork belly, diced
6 oz frozen green chiles (anaheims and big jims)
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp black pepper

Drain and rinse the soaked beans, then add the beans and the rest of the ingredients to a large crock pot.  Turn knob to high, set timer for one hour.  Walk away.  
Return when timer goes off, stir well.  Set timer for another hour.  Walk away.  
Repeat the timer/stir pattern every hour for 4 hours.  Grab a few beans out at the 4 hour mark and taste - happy?  turn heat down to low.  Still not done (likely)?  Set timer for a half hour this time - and every time from here on out.
This batch took 5.5 hours till I was happy - beans still had a touch of tooth to them but weren't going to pieces.  
Taste and season with a little more salt & pepper if needed.

Home grown cabbage and carrot slaw:

1 lb cabbage - shredded
2 carrots - shredded
1 criolla de cucina pepper - slivered
6 oz fresh cut chives
1 cup mayo
4 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp turbinado sugar
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery seeds

Put the cabbage and the carrots through the food processor.  Snip the chives into short lengths.  Toss these ingredients well with the salt.  
Make the dressing:  Dissolve the sugar and honey in the vinegar, then whisk the vinegar into the mayo and add the mustard and celery seed.  Taste it - might need a bit more sweet - mine took another tsp of honey till I was happy.  Toss the cabbage/carrots/chives with the dressing, chill and serve.

Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp your favorite pepper flake

Pour cider vinegar into a mason jar with lid.  Add the rest of the ingredients and shake well.  Allow to sit and mellow for a day or three, spoon over pulled pork sammies....

Epic indeed!   :D

Got the grill going

Getting it put together.

[SIZE=48pt]Creole Saucisses[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2 part beef[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2 part pork[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 part pork fat[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2 lg. onions minced fine[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 globe of garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 tbl. Of fish pepper, alleppo and casabel powders[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 tbl. Black pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]3 bay leaves powdered[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]½ tsp cloves, mace, allspice nutmeg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 teaspoon of fresh thyme and majorum[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Grind the meat and mix together. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pass through a sausage stuffer into casings and throw on the grill.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Rootbeer float[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Add 1 tbl. Of zatarains rootbeer extract to 2 quarts of water and 16 tbl of sugar into a 2 liter bottle. Sit outside in the sun for an hour. Bring inside to room temperature most of the day or overnight. Put on ice or refridgerate.  When ready pour into a Kerr mason jar and top with vanilla ice cream.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=48pt]Fajitas del Pastor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Several pork steaks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]5 dried New Mex chilies[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]5 dried Guahillo chilies[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Handful of dried japones[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 globe of garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Half can of concentrated orange juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Salt to taste (2 tbl.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Avocado[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Green onions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2 slam chilies one green one red[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Several limes for taste[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Tortillas[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Cilantro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Sour cream[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Cover the chilies in water for several hours. Add the garlic, salt, oj, salt and marinate overnight.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Cook on grill basting with the marinade. Chop into slices. On tortilla spread a layer of sour cream down the middle. Add sliced avocado down the middle, cilantro, chopped green onion, roasted and sliced slam chilies, then put the sliced pork on, add some fresh lime juice and roll it up.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Mexican cucumber[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Peel and slice a couple of cucumbers. Add the juice of 4 limes, a handful of chopped Mexican oregano and a 1 tbl. Salt. Mix it all together and refrigerate for at least an hour.[/SIZE]

​Ozzy's Caribbean Feast 

This plate contains pecan smoked jerk chicken, Jamaican rice, and stuffed peppers, with a frozen rum runner to drink.

Jerked Chicken:

The marinade for the jerked chicken was made with 2 cups of chopped green onions, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 2 tbs vinegar, 1 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs vegetable oil, 2 tsp kosher salt, 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, 2 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp allspice, 2 tsp chopped and peeled ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, 3 cloves of garlic minced, 2 yellow MOA scotch bonnets, and 2 chocolate scotch bonnets.  

I poked the chicken with a fork and stuck it in a gallon zip lock bag with the marinade overnight.  I put the chicken on the smoker with pecan wood until the temperature was about 155 then finished it on the grill to char it up a little bit.

It turned out great with quite a bit of spice.  My nose was running while I was eating it.  I think the pecan wood was a good choice to go with the jerk.  It was super moist too.

Jamaican Rice:

The rice was made with a can of red beans, 1 qt of water, 16ozs of chicken stock, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 2 tsp of fresh thyme leaves, 1/2 tsp allspice, 2 green onions, 1/2 cup onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1 MOA scotch bonnet halved and deseeded, 1 tsp brown sugar, and 2 cups of long grain rice.

First I drained the beans, added them and the water, stock, and coconut milk to a stock pot and brought it to a boil.  I then brought them down to a simmer for about a 1/2 hour, then added all of the other ingredients, brought to a boil again and then simmered for about 20-30 mins.  Make sure if you make it to add more stock or water if the rice isn't covered by an inch or so.  

This rice was honestly my favorite part of the whole plate.  It had a real nice spice and flavor.  I'm not a huge fan of coconut but it really melded well with everything else.  

Stuffed Peppers:

The peppers were sweet cherry, mini-bells, and red jalapenos from the garden.  I cored them out and stuffed them with cream cheese and prosciutto.  I put them on the grill in a basket on indirect heat for about 20-30 mins.  I basically waited until the prosciutto had started to curl up and get crunchy.

Last but certainly not least, the Rum runner:

These are one of my favorite drinks to make in the summer.  Especially good if you are at a beach/boat bar.  

These are made in the Margaritaville machine, but I'm sure any blender would do the job. 

2 oz Silver Rum
1 oz Coconut Rum
3 oz of Orange juice
2 oz of Pineapple juice
1/2-1 cup of frozen mixed berries (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, and blueberries)
1/2 can of any fruit mix frozen concentrate (make sure it has a good mix, tropical fruit is the best.  Strawberry daiquiri mix is no good)

I'm not sure how much ice you would need in a blender, so you can do your own favored consistency.  My machine adds the ice when you hit the button.  
Blend it up and enjoy!

Summer Sunday 

I love grillin and chillin.. this was just a regular old Summer Sunday. 

in the smoker for 3 hrs with sugar maple wood for smoke, finished off on the weber while grilling the side. 

Beef back ribs
chicken leg quarters
fish sauce

I wanted to try something different , so started the meat plain in the smoker with just a brushing of fish sauce.  Repeated 

twice over first 1 1/2.  Last time I added the rub to the meat. I was going for a less caramelized finish with all the maple 

sugar in the rub. 

Rub

hot paprika 1 tbsp 
ancho chile powder 2 tsp
habanero chile powder 2 tsp
course red chile powder 1 tbsp
coarse salt  2 tsp
black pepper 1 tsp
onion powder 1 tbsp
garlic powder 1 tsp
maple sugar 4 tbsp

On the grill stone on the weber  

red and yukon potatoes  3 each med sized sliced 1/4  inch thick and par cooked 
red onion sliced thinly half a medium 
half red sheppard pepper sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves finely minced 
avocado oil 

First time using the grill stone so after washing and  seasoning it earlier I heated the grill stone over the hot side of the 

weber,  grilled the onions and peppers and taters slices. The stone gives such a crisp finish to the taters, almost a chip 

like outside with a fluffy inside. 

Salad 
romaine lettuce
carrot  shredded
red  sheppard pepper , chopped
cucumber sliced thin
tomatoes
blue cheese

salad dressing this was just by eye..   tbsp of mayo, enough milk to thin it out a bit and then thickened up again with 

crumbled blue. seasoned with the pepper and parsley

mayo
milk
blue cheese
black pepper
parsley

Drink

1 Yellow watermelon , run through a food mill
coconut Rum 3/4 cup 
juice from one lime 

mixed and then put in the freezer, scrapped to form a slush

poured a  shot of Grand marnier over the slush when serving to make it straw drinkable. 

bhzn5q0.jpg

U2JP3sx.jpg

fs10wlQ.jpg

Ov6W8sI.jpg

162qURw.jpg

qBdUFNk.jpg

Wife's version ;)

11139972_10153324184758509_5128858690483428420_n.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]Prime ribeye burger with spicy dog and fries[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ingredients:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 pound boneless prime ribeye[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 hotdog[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Red onion, sliced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Cabot’s habanero cheese[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 jalapeno[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Salt and pepper to taste[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Joyner’s homemade Thai bread and butter pickles[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]French fries[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Buns, Martin potato rolls ;) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
11894498_1071641132869612_1341480394412547290_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

11953476_1071641139536278_4576168639526173247_o.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]
11953500_1071641182869607_7934339503636557875_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
11922835_1071641186202940_7040179125466302129_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Directions:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Grind ribeye, form 4 patties and salt and pepper. Heat grill to 400+. Place hot dog on indirect heat, burgers on direct heat and have your fryer or oil at 375 for fries. Place jalapeno and onion slices on grill. Cook burger for 2 minutes per side, roll hot dog. Once you flip burgers, add cheese and place rolls on indirect heat with hot dog.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Take everything off and assemble burgers and dogs![/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]Mojito[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]3 ounces of rum[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]½ lime, cut into 4 pieces[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 ½ ounces of homemade simple syrup[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]2 ½ ounces club soda [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Large handful fresh mint- we grow mojito mint ;)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Directions:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Muddle mint and lime in a glass them fill with ice and add remaining ingredients. Drink and be happy![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
11958289_1071641136202945_7035194482525064414_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

Just The Tip, Farmhouse Split

Grillin' Wood Mix:

• Weber Pecan Chunks
  • Fogo Lump
  • Pimento Lump (Chips)
Main Ingredients:

• Publix Egg Roll
  • Snake River Farms Tri-Tip
  • Havarti