• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Started germination, putting in cup.

Hey guys, I'm trying to grow moruga scorpions and ghost peppers.

I put the seeds in between damp paper towels and they have germinated. I'm about to put them into cups. I have a couple of questions. I have searched this forum for some answers, but I would like some more specific answers.

1) when i put the soil in the cup, how compact should it be?
2) should i wet the soil before putting the seedling inside?
3) at this stage how often should i water and and how much?
4) the soil that i'm using seems very clumped together, should i loosen it up as much as a i can? (i'm using pro mix)
5) I put the cups inside next to the window. It's pretty strong light. (i live in los angeles). Is there such thing as too much sun?

Thanks a lot guys!

Welcome.

Many ways to germinate and the one u choose is not the one I could help ya on (I'm more direct start in soil)

I germinate my seeds and transfer them to soil as well.

1) when i put the soil in the cup, how compact should it be?
I don't compact the soil; just leave it loose.

2) should i wet the soil before putting the seedling inside?
Yes.  If you wet the soil afterword, you might wash your seedling around too much.  I wet the soil, then dig a small hole with a paper clip and gently lower the seedling root down in the hole.  Then a small amount of water to help cover the root back up.

3) at this stage how often should i water and and how much?
If starting indoors, little to no water is needed depending on your lights and airflow.  If the seedlings are small, I put a ziplock bag over the top for a week or two until they get larger. 

4) the soil that i'm using seems very clumped together, should i loosen it up as much as a i can? (i'm using pro mix)
I would break up large clumps. 

5) I put the cups inside next to the window. It's pretty strong light. (i live in los angeles). Is there such thing as too much sun?
They might get too hot.  I would keep a close eye on them, or back them away from the window a bit.

Back