• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Umbra's 2016 GLog: 0 to 100 Real Quick

I recently signed up here because I had one Bhut plant I was trying to keep alive over the winter.  Fast forward a few weeks and now I'm in the process of growing ten varieties and possibly up to 72 plants in my bedroom. What could possibly go wrong?

This whole thing started with the one plant I'd managed to keep alive through the summer. I didn't provide it with nearly enough sunlight until too late in the season. By the time it was producing peppers it was already going into the fall. There was one orange pepper, so I cut everything but that branch down, stuck it in a pot and brought it in. Months later I realize the pepper is going bad, so I make a thread:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58444-controlled-growth-vs-dormancy-in-the-winter/

Even though the pepper is bad and using its seeds is questionable, I pull 8 decent looking seeds and put them aside.

I toy with the idea of trying to grow them. It's so cold, barren, and depressing here in the winter growing something green would be a welcome change. I mention the idea to my family and I end up with a small LED grow bulb and a small seedling heat mat for Christmas. A couple days later I've given a couple of seed packets from the hardware store. I've got a heat bulb somewhere a thermometer someone purchased for making homemade yogurt. I could feasible start this now. And I do:

Version 1 is a plastic container that held pinwheel sandwiches stabbed with a yogurt thermometer, propped up on a couple books and a slab of insulation beneath a heat bulb screwed into a desk lamp with the shade removed. Despite being pretty energy inefficient it's keeping the contents at a constant 85F. Inside the contraption is the 8 (possibly diseased) Bhut Jolokia seeds from my plant and probably half of the contents of each of those hardware store seed packets ("Pepper Cayenne Long Slim" and "Pepper Carribean Red"). Each type gets folded into a moistened and cut down coffee filter and placed in its own labeled sandwich bag.

I realize the light is really irritating when I try to sleep and I already knew it was an inefficient design. I had planned on using the heat mat I had received, but I didn't like how hot it got. I had already ordered a thermostat for it and it was on its way, but I had to start with the heat lamp because I was impatient and excited.

I only had the heat lamp setup a couple of days before the thermostat arrived. I swapped the heat bulb out for the thermostat and the seedling heat mat. A drastic improvement. No more light, no more waste, just the right amount of heat. I have it set to 82F. A cycle (from the lowest temp of around 79F up to around 85F and back down again) takes about 20 minutes. The heat mat is on for about 5 of those. At 18W on 1/4th of the time vs a constant 50W from the heat bulb, this setup is a hell of a lot more energy efficient. Now the slab of insulation beneath it really shines.

I don't know what I'm doing, but it seems to be working. The cayenne pepper seeds have germinated in half the time suggested on the bag and they're growing (I have the grow light on a few hours a day for a tiny, leggy succulent I placed adjacent to my "germinator". I guess they popped out, saw the light, and just ran with it.

I bought one of those seedling trays with the cells and the dome. I got the all natural one because it looked sturdy and it held 36 cells (no way I'd need that many, right?). Bad idea, the thing leaks, so I opt not to use it for this project. I should've just got the basic plastic one from the start. I bought a bag of soil from my local nursery. I don't know what happened, but a couple days go by and after many trips to Home Depot (between this and two additional projects) I finally have a decent seedling tray thing (it's got hexagonal cells - fancy), the soil, a bag of Miracle Gro perlite, red habs that are sprouting, and cayenne peppers that are basically plants already crammed inside the sandwich bag. Of course the Miracle Gro perlite has unnecessarily added fertilizer, so I have to scoop some out and rinse it hoping to wash away some of that. I mix it in with the soil in a 2:1 ratio ( 66% soil, 33% perlite), toss some in the cells, and transplant the six most developed seeds from each variety. On one of those Home Depot trips I picked up a packet of your run of the mill jalapeno seeds. I don't remember the timeline exactly, but those too were germinated and planted, either at the same time as the others or a day or two after.

Now I think I took this picture the following day, but basically the cayenne peppers were already plants when the went into the dirt. One of the six shed its seed casing while in the filter. The other ones I decided to gently slip off after planting. I knew that was risky, but I rolled the dice and it turned out well. I used two precision tweezers I'd normally use for circuit board components. I used one to gently grip the stem and I tightly pinched the far side of the seed casing with the other and slipped it off. I wasn't sure if it would come off having never been in soil and I opted to remove them while they were still wet, rather than risk having them dry out and prevent the cotyledon from getting out. Having observed some of the others grow, I don't think this was necessary. Many of the plants propel the seeds up into the air like little spiraling rockets if I don't secure them beneath the soil (in which case they do the "U" thing like a battering ram. At this point the other variety seeds are in the soil mix, but they're not doing anything note worthy.

Now this is where it gets fun. About the time I started with the heat lamp I began talking with [mention]rkempston[/mention]. I didn't have any seeds to trade, but he was super awesome and offered to send me some anyway. He told me to choose a few from his impressive list. I handpicked a couple, and expressed interest in trying another superhot (though not picky as to which) and asked him to choose the others based on what he think I might like, what he had the most of, or just completely at random. A day or two later he let me know he sent them out and let me know what he sent. Now I'm pumped. My setup seems to be working beautifully and I can't wait to provided a nice cozy home for six pepper types I've never tried before. Having them come from a forum member rather than a vendor makes them extra special.

A few days pass and it arrives - a handwritten envelope from IL containing the following goodies. Drum-roll please:

So in addition to the cayenne, red habs, and jalapenos I'll (hopefully) be growing the following thanks to rkempston:

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Reaper (Carolina?), Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, Yellow Fatalii, Jigsaw (Fatalli Gourmet?), and Bishops Crown

The Choc. SB, and Y. Fatalli are the two I told him I was interested in.

I took about 12 of each and gave them the same treatment as the others, only I had purchased smaller bags and coffee filters ahead of time. Something I forgot to mention earlier, with the others I'd experimented with using hydrogen perioxide to soften the seeds before germination. For the Bhut seeds I stuck them in 3% HP for 5 minutes, then let them soak in 1 part HP, 9 parts water for like three days (I jumped the gun and had nothing setup, so they just sat in there - less than ideal). For the cayenne and red habs I did the same, but only left them in overnight. For the jalapenos and these six I just left them in the 3% HP for 5-10 minutes and then dunked them in water to wash it away. Of course as soon as I had free time I got right to work on the seeds. Soaked each, put them in a nicely cut down filter, spayed them, and used a ruler to slide them into these nice little labeled baggies.

Here's them in my setup:

I placed the other types on top of these. I have lots of sprouts, but I don't know what to do with them. I'm going to keep them for a bit I guess for backups in case something happens to the planted ones until they inevitably go bad. I don't like doing this, but I simply don't have space for hundreds of plants. I have ten varieties. My goal is to grow six of each (for 60/72 cells). I'll fill the extras with jalapenos and Bishop's Crowns probably because they'd be easier to find homes for since they're significantly milder.

My sparse dresser-top setup now actually has some substance to it. It smells like soil (which I love). There's green, there's heat, there's light - things are growing. I cut up my leggy succulent tonight hoping to propagate it. I need to let the cuts heal for a few days before I continue. I took in my mom's venus fly trap plants (despite what she tells me, I don't think they're going to survive in a non-draining mug. She had them outside, periodically submerged from the rain and It's freezing at night here to boot. I stuck them on the pad under the grow light, removed the dirt and crap some of the heads were trying to snack on, amputated the dead parts, drained the mug one, and watered the other. They seem to be perking up.

I checked on the seeds tonight to add moisture where it was needed. The seeds from rkempston have been germinating since Saturday (it was Tuesday when I started typing this, it's Wednesday now - damn I'm a slow typist). I didn't open them all up, but I held them up to the light and I don't see anything yet. If anything's started yet I'll just give it another couple days to do its thing before I check again. I did discover that after ten days two of my bhut seeds sprouted, so into the soil they went. One went bad and I'm going to let the other five keep at it and we'll see what happens when I check back in a couple days.

Runescape said:
Very cool, keep us posted man.

Lovepeppers said:
Looking good!
I will be following your glog.

Thanks guys

I had a couple of grow incidents this week. A few days back I noticed a few tiny bugs flying around the room. I checked the plants and saw them hanging around that area. I took a closer look at them, did some googling and deduced they were probably soil gnats which are apparently a non-issue for adult plants, but a hazard to seedlings. I took care (i.e. clap... clap clap, clap ya hands) of the airborne ones that I saw, but it sounded like the real trouble comes from the eggs laid in the soil. The non flying larvae eat the roots. It looked like the few flying around made one of the venus fly traps home base. They must have gone dormant in the soil and my setup woke them from their slumber. I couldn't risk keeping them around adjacent to the young seedlings, so they went into the kitchen. The one plant I ended up repotting was looking substantially better than when I brought it in (I'll put a picture up next time), and the other (the one I suspected held the gnats) just looked okay and was substantially smaller. I panicked and decided to nuke the potential infestation by pouring some straight 3% hydrogen peroxide into the soil around the plant. It's been a few days since I did that and it looks like the plant's okay and I haven't seen any gnats since. Hopefully that's the end of that. I also put an apple cider vinegar "trap" next to my seedlings and the fly traps to hopefully lure any lingering gnats (I don't think they caught anything, but I haven't seen any gnats either).

Then I had a scare this morning, I woke up to most of the younger seedlings toppled over, a couple collapsed all the way down to the soil:

The cayenne cells were unaffected, but they're also the eldest by several days. I was worried that maybe some pathogen did them in and this was the dreaded damping off I read about. I also screwed into the ceiling the previous night and stupidly rained down some paint and drywall dust onto my plant, so I thought that could have something to do with it too. I had also swapped my LED grow light for a 23ish W 6500K CF bulb after reading that that blue light was better for vegetative grow than the red (and the LED has 9 red, 3 blues), so maybe that contributed - I wasn't sure.

I propped the pitiful little things up as best I could with some toothpicks and watered them. I added three tablespoons hydrogen peroxide to a quart of water (not sure what ratio that is, don't care right now) I had been meaning to do this with the next watering because of the gnats to kill any eggs that might have been laid. Now with a potential pathogen on my hands it was doubly important.

Well, after a few hours they all perked up, even the couple that completely collapsed and I thought I'd lose.

I plucked the seeds enclosing the leaves on five of the just before that last picture, that's why some leaves are malformed. Hopefully they'll straighten out in the next couple days. If anyone's curious as to how I went about removing the seeds, I made a post here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/19844-a-photo-guide-to-how-i-removed-stuck-seed-caps/?p=1262229 I think the reason I have so many instances of the seed casings not falling off early is because I'm leaving the soil above the seeds too loose when I plant them. My thought process was by keeping it loose they'll get some light, but I don't think light's all that important without leaves, so I'll compact it more in the future.

Here's another angle, this time they're back under the light. I also transferred those succulent bits to some very slightly dampened cactus/succulent soil in two plastic containers, which you can see in the foreground:

And here's a preview of the next entry:

I would've planted them tonight, but I didn't have enough soil mix ready. As I mentioned in the first post, I'm using a 2:1 local nursery soil mix to perlite combination, but the Miracle Gro perlite has added fertilizer. I stuck some in a paper bowl I poked full of drainage holes and rinsed it off. It holds water pretty damn well, so I'm letting it drain overnight. Hopefully I'll start planting two more varieties tomorrow. Nothing yet from the others. Not sure if the rest of the bhuts are duds, but as long as I have the setup going and they're not going bad, might as well keep 'em cooking.

We're going to jump a month forward here because, well, frankly I didn't take many pictures. I figured a bunch of pictures of seeds sprouting and infant seedlings that all look alike would be pretty boring, so here's a quick summary.

Over the past few weeks I've been sprouting, planting, and tending to the many varieties I'm growing. Because of their different germination requirements I've had all different varieties at all different stages of growth. I've got almost two month old cayenne seedlings in one cell segment and I just transferred an infant reaper from the coffee filter into soil a day or two back. I have a few of all 10 at this point (I even managed to get 3 seedlings from those sketchy 8 bhut seeds). I've lost some seeds and I had a few seedling casualties. Mostly from very bad cases of "helmet head", though I have been very successful intervening and saving those.

I've also learned a lot from trial and error. I've got a much better feel for how to sow sprouted seeds and how to position the ones that have started to hook. I can get them to come up quickly now and don't have far fewer helmet head incidences. I know that the nursery mix I bought had enough perlite in in already and I shouldn't have added any to it. Those first cells are something like 1/3rd Miracle Gro perlite and they're a chunky, algae ridden mess. I've learned I shouldn't be stingy with the light. I should've went from one to two bulbs earlier than I did because my eldest plants seem to be more stretched out than they should be. I've learned to just get plastic cells from now on and don't both with the recycled material ones. They leak, modify the water retention, disintegrate, and grow moldy. I got fed up to the point where I bought another 72 cell plastic set to transplant the 24 plants I put in the paper cells. That was unnecessary, hopefully I didn't shock any of the younger ones.

Last month I built myself a DIY grow light reflector (there's guides all over youtube) because I needed a neat way to add bulbs as needed without making my bedroom look like an interrogation room. For the most part I'd been stingy and used one 6500K 23W 1600 lumen bulb and crowded what I could under it, but with the second half of the peppers and the addition of the chives I had to expand and add the second bulb. I have two more bulbs and splitters, but I don't know if I need them yet.

And a side-view:

In those pictures I have the reflector raised so it's easier to access and see the plants. I really keep it at this height:

There's a lot to photograph, roughly 96 cells in total, so I didn't try to, but here's an overview:

In the back right are the jalapenos, cayennes, and carribean reds. In the front right there are TSMs and Bishop's Crowns. The first three cells on the left in the front are the 3 Bhuts. Everything else is all over the place. I tried to keep the youngest ones towards the center so they get some extra warmth from the heat mat. The pot and two plastic containers in the middle are my succulent (succulents?) Thy started as one, but I chopped it up and now each part is doing well. Here's a close up of that:

And to finish off this post, here's a close up comparison of the TSMs versus the cayennes:

I'm worried about some of the plants, especially the older ones. They're elongated (probably from lackluster light conditions early on, which I can live with), but the embryonic leaves are turning yellow and the true leaves are curling upwards. Maybe a boron deficiency? Maybe calcium and magnesium? I haven't used any fertilizers or nutrients aside from what's in the soil mix so far, so maybe it's time, but there's so much stuff out there I don't even know where to begin. I think these questions warrant their own thread, but if anyone has any advice feel free to chime in.

awesome thread man, good luck this season.

i am a total amateur and this is my first attempt at a grow season. those seedlings look like some of mine did when i overwatered, though. let em dry out

Thanks guys! I made another thread about my concerns and the general consensus is overwatering. I tend to water most if not all cells at the same time and I think the mix I used early on with the eldest plants is retentive, so I swapped it out for just soil mix (instead of 2:1 that w/ perlite) and I'm holding off on watering until it's absolutely necessary. Going forward I'm going to be more selective and only water individual cells or groups when needed.

I got a PWM (Pulse width modulation) controller in the mail today and I'm using that to control a 12VDC car fan you'd plug into a cigarette lighter. I put that on a cheap analog timer from Home Depot and now I have a nice gently oscillating breeze that turns on and off throughout the day. For the past few days I had it on a constant 7.5V, which made it run slower, but not slow enough, so I still had to put distance between it and the plants and had to deal with the extra noise.

Edit: It seems like most setups have more light than mine. I dropped the reflector down a few more inches to get the lights closer. The light meter on my S4 is 5K lux at the plants farthest from the bulbs and like 30K+ at the ones directly under them. It might be time to use the Y adapters to add two more bulbs. The bulbs I'm using are 1600 lumen each and I have two, but the area's got to be atleast 2'x2' now. Thoughts?

I put in Y adapters for a few hours and it added light, but the coverage was still skewed. The stuff at the center received several times more light than the stuff at the edge. So I took it down and redid it.

I'm still not sure if it's enough, but it's an improvement.

a0c27820af6dd7e79d34cd4477acd654.jpg

Back