• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tigger melon

im looking to grow some melons vertically this year.... why are there so many melon cultivars(cultigens what ever) named after fucking cats?

hazeras entire melon line is like... all cats.

ocelot f1, lynx f1, leopard f1 etc etc.

I grew them a couple of years ago.  They are stunning to look at and are incredibly fragrant.  Their scent would fill my kitchen and make my mouth water.  They were pretty bland in the flavor department but they made up for it with their aroma and their amazing colors. 

The queen anne's pocket is a similar melon that has an even stronger aroma.

I've grown them in the past but was not impressed with their flavor, I grow melons for their taste and uses, not for the way they smell or the way they look.  The weather here in Missouri along with the many soil and disease problems, makes for growing any heirloom melon almost impossible, the biggest problem is gummy stem, wilt and powdery mildew after which the Japanese beetle and stem borer usually finish them off.   Baker's Creek seeds ( rareseeds.com ) has a great many small Asian and Eurasian melons along with larger European and American melons.     

Hi queequeg152 I will be doing some grafting work mostly on my tomatoes and eggplants, I need to find a good root stock for grafting melons there are a couple that I could try for melons but this year I really don't have the space or time for them.
My tomatoes and eggplants will take up much of the space this year. There is a small Russian melon that might be better than the tigger melon, called rich sweetness I haven't grown this one baker's Creek has it  its really small only a 1/4 pound  there is also one called Kajari melon.

ive been looking at watermelon rootstocks personally, more geared at vigor rather than resistance though.

strong tosa,shintoza, flexifort, RST-04-109-MW.

these are the only ones that seem possible to get. with flexifort and the rst being readily available from websites.

these are all maxim x moschata

Back