• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2016

Okay, back in the saddle again.  I checked out of this forum last September,
when my wife and I went on an 8-week vacation.  We had a blast, then I came
home to two months of yard work to catch up on, and holiday season to
contend with   :doh:   

I just this week finished grinding up all the dry pods from last season.  Managed
to get my seeds in to soak on Jan. 15th, and into the Jiffy Pellets on Jan. 16th.
I'm going for fewer varieties this season, but 3 or 4 plants of most varieties that
I grow out.  No small pod peppers this year, just too labor intensive for the results,
although I have some awesome small pod powders laid away.   Speaking of which,
I have so much powder I'm considering packaging and selling some this summer.  
I'm going to try to sell my fresh pods this Fall, so maybe no more powder production
until I need some, and then, just my favorites.  

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 4th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 7 ................    77%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 6 ................    66%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  7 ................   77%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 105 ...............  89.7%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Feb. 5

1/29 - First watering of earliest germinating plants

2/2 - Begin light fertilizer routine on older seedlings:  Cal-Mag, 1 tsp / gal.
                                                                                          AK Fish Fertilizer, 1 tsp / gal. 
     - Start fan on taller seedlings

tsurrie said:
Milk is working to some degree. Its more like to prevent BLS than cure it... a lot of folks around here use this method and they say it works.
Ha! Rain today - just enough to wash off the mixture
Maybe I'll try it again when this couple of showery days passes.

One of the Chocolate Bhut Jolokia F2 is ripening up.
The pods are almost flourescent orange right now:
image.jpeg

Paul I just noticed that you have your containers elevated. Pest control? Less bending? I assume those are bamboo stakes? I have had some issues with staking my plants, do you do anything special? Towards the end of the season when the plants are larger, they seem to just loosen the stakes and start leaning.

Devv said:
It's really great to see everyone chipping in with their information regarding the B-spot. Gotta love the THP!  Right on, Scott!

Regardless Paul, the plants seem to be holding their own, and that I would attribute to their general heath, due to you know who ;)

I have seen signs of renewed pod setting on some of the plants.
Am just waiting to see if they will stay or drop.  Some have lasted two or
three days since setting, so I'm holding out for good things.  Will just
keep feeding the plants and using some foliar sprays and hope they
can fight the BLS off well enough to produce some decent pods
and harvests.

tctenten said:
Paul I just noticed that you have your containers elevated. Pest control? Less bending? I assume those are bamboo stakes? I have had some issues with staking my plants, do you do anything special? Towards the end of the season when the plants are larger, they seem to just loosen the stakes and start leaning.

All of the above, Terry.  Just all around better control of the root zone
environment, but the main reason I began to set them up was so there
would be less bending.  Just saw a lot of other benefits like those you
mentioned after.  Also maintains a neater look for a suburban yard,
I guess.

I have had that happen to some, as well.  I have had to tie them to
fences, tree branches and even guy them to the edge of the containers
in three places to support them.  I also use thin bamboo stakes, and the 
green plastic covered aluminum ones as well.  

The peruvian seed Red Rocotos are stretching out and setting
a good number of pods. Some signs of ripening on several
pods - this was the first:

image.jpeg

The first round of pods have been growing larger.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OCD Chilehead said:
Rocotos are huge. Very nice looking pod's. Healthy leaves.
These Rocotos are just as robust as the
Orange Manzanos I've grown previously.
The larger pods are the same size in the
two varieties.
I'm going to grow more c. Pubescens varieties
next season, and more Ajis, Amarillo and
otherwise.
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Nice Rocoto! Those will be great for stuffing.
Our peruvian friend is an excellent cook - I can't
wait to see what she comes up with. She's
stuffing them, that's all I know.
These are the best of my harvest so far.
I've given away 5 or 6 half pints to neighbors.

image.jpeg

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good Paul. Nice harvest. Stuffed Rocoto sounds good. Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks,Charles...
For sure buddy! I'll post a pic when it happens.
It may be a while : )
Devv said:
Rocato's are looking stellar! I wish the pubes did well here. I try despite the challenges...

Congrats on the harvest, and glad you have had enough to share. That's one of my favorite things about a large garden, sharing ;)

Keep on keeping on!
Good for trying, Scott! One season you might get a surprise!
You just need a nice shady dell to plant them in : )

Growing four Bhut Jolokia hybrids this season. These
two are a green foliage version and the darkest of the
purple foliage trio.

image.jpeg

The other two purple plants, the lightest one on the right.

image.jpeg

The latter two are ripening up a few pods. The medium
purple plant is more productive by far.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Red Rocoto is almost ripe!

image.jpeg

stickman said:
Woot for ripe Rocotos! :woohoo:  How has the milk spray worked out for your diseased plants?
Hey, Buddy! Looks like I'll harvest four to six
Red Rocotos of various sizes in a few days!
They are a beautiful red, sort of 'semi-gloss'
as opposed to 'glossy' if I can use my old
painter's jargon

The milk spray left a little shiny residue on the
leaves, but the rain two days later probably
washed off most of it. Here's a pic.

image.jpeg

Devv said:
I'm really happy that you have ripe pods Paul ;)

I have a few very young red manzano plants growing in the shade. They're not happy with the 100's we're having, but they're hanging in there so far. Hoping for some fall production :party:
Keep those little manzano plants goin', buddy. They will reward
you when the weather cools and they start keeping their
flowers and setting pods. Having the pubescens in the shade
has been the main factor they do okay here.

Good luck getting that Fall production, Scott!

Here's to that!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers, buddy!

stickman said:
Your pic looks good... how did the spray work out with getting rid of the BLS on the other plants?
They look okay for the most part, still a few yellow ones.
I have noticed a big increase in pod setting for some
varieties as well. Always interesting growing chili peppers!

Back