• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2016

Okay, back in the saddle again.  I checked out of this forum last September,
when my wife and I went on an 8-week vacation.  We had a blast, then I came
home to two months of yard work to catch up on, and holiday season to
contend with   :doh:   

I just this week finished grinding up all the dry pods from last season.  Managed
to get my seeds in to soak on Jan. 15th, and into the Jiffy Pellets on Jan. 16th.
I'm going for fewer varieties this season, but 3 or 4 plants of most varieties that
I grow out.  No small pod peppers this year, just too labor intensive for the results,
although I have some awesome small pod powders laid away.   Speaking of which,
I have so much powder I'm considering packaging and selling some this summer.  
I'm going to try to sell my fresh pods this Fall, so maybe no more powder production
until I need some, and then, just my favorites.  

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 4th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 7 ................    77%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 6 ................    66%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  7 ................   77%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 105 ...............  89.7%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Feb. 5

1/29 - First watering of earliest germinating plants

2/2 - Begin light fertilizer routine on older seedlings:  Cal-Mag, 1 tsp / gal.
                                                                                          AK Fish Fertilizer, 1 tsp / gal. 
     - Start fan on taller seedlings

Harvested a few chilis a couple of days ago.
I'm happy with them in light of the June setback.

Fatalis and Bhut Jolokia hybrids. The pods are
Red, but the sunny side is dark red / purple.

image.jpeg

Scotch Bonnets and 7 Pot Burgundays. Two of
the plants are producing red pods, and two are
producing chestnut-colored pods.

image.jpeg

A small and a medium-sized Red Rocoto.

image.jpeg

JA Red Habaneros and some small Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia.

image.jpeg

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia Red.

image.jpeg

Primos, mostly runts.

image.jpeg

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice harvest! Can't wait till I get to that stage. Going to try my hand at purée this year.
Congrats Paul!
Your time is coming, Chuck! I have to hand it to you
folk growing in CO. I grew up on the eastside of
Oregon, so I have a small idea of your short growing
season! You folks are tenacious!

Ozzy2001 said:
Awesome haul on the pods! Your plants look great, disease or not. Love that bonchi too. Hopefully, it pulls through. Looks like it's doing well.
Thanks, Scott!

Not too bad for sick plants The bigger pods are decent
especially the Red Chocolate Bhut!

The bonchi is ready to have the big leaves removed.

image.jpeg

Thanks Paul. I've definitely adapted. It's not San Diego. I learn little tricks from you guys every year. I try not to change anything if it works.

The Bonchi is looking great. I'm going to keep my Thai and Chi-Chien for bonchi experiment.

Once again, I've been away from the glogs too long... 
Looks like you've got that bacterial spot at bay.  At least you're getting some nice harvests.
I enjoyed seeing the development of that bonchi - very cool.
And those rocotos looked huge.  I bet they are wonderful.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Paul. I've definitely adapted. It's not San Diego. I learn little tricks from you guys every year. I try not to change anything if it works.
The Bonchi is looking great. I'm going to keep my Thai and Chi-Chien for bonchi experiment.
Good luck with those, Charles.
They should make great specimens.

Pulpiteer said:
Once again, I've been away from the glogs too long... 
Looks like you've got that bacterial spot at bay.  At least you're getting some nice harvests.
I enjoyed seeing the development of that bonchi - very cool.
And those rocotos looked huge.  I bet they are wonderful.
Hey, Andy! The bac spot is alive and well.
I have cut down my Scotch Bonnet TFMs,
and it looks like I'll be cutting down some
more plants in the next week. There are
some nice pods in spite of it, and some of
the plants actually look okay. This season
is one for the books- if things go well, I should
Have some nice Fall pods.

The Fatali bonchi is doing great - see pic
below

moruga welder said:
nice harvest paul ! great to see !      :onfire:
Thanks, Frank. Hope all is well on your end.

stickman said:
Nice harvest Paul! Will you be making powder with most of it, or trying some new methods of preservation?
No more powder for awhile, Rick - I have a lifetime supply!
I'm actually trying to find a market for my fresh pods.

The Fatali bonchi has set a pod and I just found it
while trimming off the big leaves!

image.jpeg

Been away all week; I see you're doing well despite the BS issues.

Congrats on the nice pods you've been able to harvest.

Keep it green my friend!

Gee Paul, sorry to hear you had to hack down some of your plants due to the BLS. You should cut your losses in future and discard the potting soil in the affected containers and bleach the pots before using them again. Sanitation, eh? I hope you find a market for your excess pods... that could help defray the expense of replacing the infected potting soil. Good luck, we're pullin' for ya!

Devv said:
Been away all week; I see you're doing well despite the BS issues.

Congrats on the nice pods you've been able to harvest.

Keep it green my friend!
Thanks, buddy! Guess I've been sort of scarce myself!

There have been some nice pods among the runts. That's
okay, I guess - I don't know what I'd do with a bumper
Crop of pods! Pic of a few below.

stickman said:
Gee Paul, sorry to hear you had to hack down some of your plants due to the BLS. You should cut your losses in future and discard the potting soil in the affected containers and bleach the pots before using them again. Sanitation, eh? I hope you find a market for your excess pods... that could help defray the expense of replacing the infected potting soil. Good luck, we're pullin' for ya!
I'm not sure if it's worth the effort, Rick. I'm going to replace
top 3" or so of soil with some fresh soil. I'll let my compost and
recycled soil sit until the 2018 season, and use the removed soil
In raised beds. I'll use the resistant varieties, get some new seed
for some, and maybe just not grow chilis next season if worse
comes to worse. From what I've read in the papers regarding
BLS, the bacteria live in pepper plant detritus, not actually in the soil,
So hopefully that gives an avenue to mitigation, along with some
proactive steps next season if I do have a grow. I'm just feeling my
way for now. Thanks for the good vibe, friend.

One of the Aji Amarillo pods is starting to ripen.

image.jpeg

A little harvest today. A bunch of F4 almost white pods
From Trippa's Mystery Cross. Looks like the F4 pods will
repeat the F3 pods phenotype, maybe the Fall pods will
be whiter, like last Fall's. There are a few nice BJ hybrid
and Fatali pods in the mix, with some runts.

image.jpeg

Rocotos Rellenos for dinner tonight! My pods,
our peruvian friend's deft touch. I had already
eaten one when I took the picture! Nice mild heat,
Awesome flavor!

image.jpeg

Great looking Amarillo pod's. Cool bumper.

Made me sad, you talking about not growing next year. We really enjoy your glog.

Don't feel bad it's part of growing. If it's not bugs, it's weather or disease. Thats why I grow a bunch of plants. Better my odds. I've had two plants diseased with something. Don't know what it was. Both were Goats Weed. Had a couple cayennes go south as well. And my Chinese just got hit hard by hail. LOL! Don't worry, your garden will pull through my friend.

Thanks for the Rocoto foody pic. They looks scrumptious. Hope you got the recipe.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice pods from the garden ;)

The Rocoto's look inviting, yum!

Hey, you can grow next year. Just grow in bleach cleaned pots, with new seed and soil. You may have to scale it back some due to cost. Now's the time to scan the stores for sales. I load up on stuff I don't need at the time when the price is way low, like 50% off. I scored big on potting soil and nutes lately, just can't beat 1/2 price close out sales :party:

By the following season all your existing soil should be clean, especially if you can get some green manure to mix it with to get the heat cranking. Shall I send you some green cow pies? LOL

Now that would be a surprise :rolleyes:

Hey, fellas!  Hope your grows are all cranking it up!

:dance: We have a hot sauce expo in Portland this weekend   :dance:

Will hook up with Salsa Lady there on Sunday at the Texas Creek
Booth.  Hope to see some other THPers there at OMSI!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Great looking rocoto relleno! By far one of my favorite Peruvian dishes.

Mine, too, my friend!

stickman said:
Very enticing pic of the Rocoto Relleno Paul! Do you have a recipe to share? I've got a bag of frozen red Rocoto pods... :drooling:

I will track it down for you, Rick - I doubt she even uses a recipe.
If worse comes to worst, sausage and cheese!

OCD Chilehead said:
Great looking Amarillo pod's. Cool bumper.

Made me sad, you talking about not growing next year. We really enjoy your glog.
Not likely to happen, buddy!  There will be something, unless we decide to travel.

Don't feel bad it's part of growing. If it's not bugs, it's weather or disease. Thats why I grow a bunch of plants. Better my odds. I've had two plants diseased with something. Don't know what it was. Both were Goats Weed. Had a couple cayennes go south as well. And my Chinese just got hit hard by hail. LOL! Don't worry, your garden will pull through my friend.

Thanks for the Rocoto foody pic. They looks scrumptious. Hope you got the recipe.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm over the initial shock, Charles.  Some of the plants have performed
well lately - the Scorpions and Red Habs, Bhut Jolokias, Mystery Cross,
and the Padrons keep cranking out pods. I'll just keep feeding them well,
and cut the ones that have no chance of setting and ripening pods at this
point.  All's well that ends well!

juanitos said:
those rocs look tasty

They were, indeed, Juanitos!

Devv said:
Nice pods from the garden ;)

The Rocoto's look inviting, yum!

Hey, you can grow next year. Just grow in bleach cleaned pots, with new seed and soil. You may have to scale it back some due to cost. Now's the time to scan the stores for sales. I load up on stuff I don't need at the time when the price is way low, like 50% off. I scored big on potting soil and nutes lately, just can't beat 1/2 price close out sales :party:

By the following season all your existing soil should be clean, especially if you can get some green manure to mix it with to get the heat cranking. Shall I send you some green cow pies? LOL   :sick:

Now that would be a surprise :rolleyes:   :sick:

You know, I wouldn't mind a season off from growing, Scott   ;)

Maybe I'll grow some more veggies instead, and let the rest of 
containers lie fallow.  I'm still hashing over possibilities in my
mind.  I'll get some nice pods in the Fall harvest,  I may even try
to keep a seed or two from the most resistant plants.

stickman said:
Very enticing pic of the Rocoto Relleno Paul! Do you have a recipe to share? I've got a bag of frozen red Rocoto pods... :drooling:
Here is a recipe I posted earlier this year in the comida south america section of THP for rocoto relleno. I have recipes for both Cusco and Arequipa style if you need, but I honestly much prefer the Arequipa style.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52816-comida-south-america/page-11

Back