• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2016

Okay, back in the saddle again.  I checked out of this forum last September,
when my wife and I went on an 8-week vacation.  We had a blast, then I came
home to two months of yard work to catch up on, and holiday season to
contend with   :doh:   

I just this week finished grinding up all the dry pods from last season.  Managed
to get my seeds in to soak on Jan. 15th, and into the Jiffy Pellets on Jan. 16th.
I'm going for fewer varieties this season, but 3 or 4 plants of most varieties that
I grow out.  No small pod peppers this year, just too labor intensive for the results,
although I have some awesome small pod powders laid away.   Speaking of which,
I have so much powder I'm considering packaging and selling some this summer.  
I'm going to try to sell my fresh pods this Fall, so maybe no more powder production
until I need some, and then, just my favorites.  

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 4th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 7 ................    77%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 6 ................    66%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  7 ................   77%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 105 ...............  89.7%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Feb. 5

1/29 - First watering of earliest germinating plants

2/2 - Begin light fertilizer routine on older seedlings:  Cal-Mag, 1 tsp / gal.
                                                                                          AK Fish Fertilizer, 1 tsp / gal. 
     - Start fan on taller seedlings

Glad to see you're getting a fair amount of heat Paul... do you still have much powder left from previous years? I wish I could check out your NW Chile Festival... we don't have any events that big closer than NY City, and I'll take a pass on visiting the "Concrete Canyon".

Take care, and enjoy the weather as it slowly mellows into Autumn!

stickman said:
Glad to see you're getting a fair amount of heat Paul... do you still have much powder left from previous years? I wish I could check out your NW Chile Festival... we don't have any events that big closer than NY City, and I'll take a pass on visiting the "Concrete Canyon".
Take care, and enjoy the weather as it slowly mellows into Autumn!
I have a lot, Rick, relatively speaking, for a small grow.
Enough for a table at a farmer's market at some point.

Our NW Chili Fest isn't really 'big', just very friendly.
It would be great to see folks from other areas there.
It's pretty much open to anybody, but most have some
kind of presence on THP.

We have had a couple of days of rain with one more predicted.
I was/am amazed at the amount of pod ripening that is happening.
The nights in the mid-40's seem to have nudged the pace a bit.

Some plants seem to have overcome the BLS as far as pods go.

Primos, Jolokias, JA Habaneros:

image.jpeg

'Scorpions', Fatalis, Chocolate Bonnets:

image.jpeg

Padrones have been a real workhorse this season .
Some so big they look like bell peppers :

image.jpeg

BJ hybrid, F4 Mystery Cross, 7 Pot Burgundy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 51
Thanks, buddy. More coming, as well. Will use a bunch for
NWCF dishes - farm cheese and salsa along with stuffed
Padrones.

Picked a few more this morning.

image.jpeg

Getting ready to pick the bulk of the first round
of pods off the Rocotos - one or two days more
if we get a little sun:

image.jpeg

These are the big pods; they really look like red apples!

image.jpeg

Harvested the pod off the Fatali bonchi, had it on a cold salmon
and mayo sandwich. It was very tasty/crunchy and pretty hot:

image.jpeg

Devv said:
Glad to see those nice pulls Paul!

"Every Pod a Victory"  <--for sure :dance:
The first couple of seasons, that slogan was true- pods eked
out by sheer force of will LSHIC. The decent weather of the
past three seasons has made it easier!

Still a lot of the 2nd round of pods to ripen up.
I think I see a blush or two in the earliest of them.
Can't wait to try some of the big red ones stuffed!

image.jpeg

Hey Paul. I only grew a dozen chiles this year and 2 are Pimento de Padrones. They are my best growers and the pods look exactly like yours. I think I will let the rest turn completely red now. Just ate three of them as poppers with asadero cheese. One was fairly hot. See you tomorrow. 

Impromptu taste test. Details later:

image.jpeg

The sauces:  Peri-Peri's red chili sauce, courtesy of the man, himself,
Satan's Ghost (procured at Hot Licks, San Diego),
Culley's #1 (New Zealand), procured at PDX Hot Sauce Expo.

Sampled with some empanadas and, on the side, Mediterranean
olives and Rioja wine.

Perry-peri's sauce (thick, red) and the Satan's Ghost (thin,
dark) were very similar in heat.  Both blazing hot, one-drop-does-it
sauces.  The Satan's Ghost was probably a bit hotter.  Culley's # 1
(medium thickness, very reminiscent of a /thai chili sauce.)  
Shiny and sweet, it had very respectable heat, just a notch below
the other two.

Per-Peri's sauce had a better flavor for me than the Satan's
Ghost; the heat didn't overtake the flavor even though very hot.
Could taste the other ingredients, pleasant.  Okay, put this on
any kind of pork or South of the Border cuisine, from cheese
burritos to carne asada! Would really make a great burger dressing!

The Satan's Ghost is very good, don't get me wrong.  It's an
awesome sauce - best Ghost sauce on the Market for my
money - base of Fire-roasted Habaneros, with the Ghost peppers
and some real ingredients.  Mix with milder salsas to create something
special or use with a bbq.  Would make killer fajitas or some awesome
steak on the barbie.

The Culley's is a real winner - would
be awesome on bbq shrimp, stir-fry, anything asian would suit it very well.  
Of the three the one I'd use most, just because
the others are so hot.  But I break them out now and then  :drooling:   :lol:

Don't really know much about food, but I'd recommend any of the three to a friend   :D

Really good to catch up with your grow Paul ... firstly the bonchi what a superb specimen it has turned out new growth growing out of the trunk .. the old trunk looks like a "jin" the term for a branch that resembles old and lifeless possibly struck by lightening ... I used to peel off the bark down to the wood leaving all the notches of a branch that didn't conform to shape and bleach white .. amazing how quickly you could make a young tree old ...

Great harvests your having ... finally the little pasties whilst I was in Quito we used to buy what the Ecuadorians called "Diablo" which were stuffed with beef mince meat and chilli are these them

tsurrie said:
Looking good, I bet it's good too.
Judging by the harvests you're posting pics off, you'll be cooking a lot in the next few months.
:cheers:

I'm not much of a cook, Uros, so I give the Peruvian peppers to our friend, and she
brings us some awesome dishes.  I can stuff a pepper, that's about it   :rofl: 
I may powder the peppers I can't sell for sale at some Farmer's Markets.

Spicegeist said:
Mystery cross looks really nice.  What's your guess as to the parentage?

It is an awesome plant, Charles.  I can't wait to see what the F4s and beyond produce.
Wish I had a year-around grow climate, I could generate the successions so
much more quickly than one iteration a year.  I could already have seeds from
this one sprouting!

It's Tristen's (Trippa) deliberate cross.  I'm not sure I remember exactly.  Obviously one
was a purple variety, PdeN, I think.  He would be the one to ask for a real answer!

Devv said:
I'm so glad to see all that harvest goodness ;)

Congrats Paul!

Thanks, brother! I'm giving a fair amount away to the neighbors and
selling a few here and there.  

Trident chilli said:
Really good to catch up with your grow Paul ... firstly the bonchi what a superb specimen it has turned out new growth growing out of the trunk .. the old trunk looks like a "jin" the term for a branch that resembles old and lifeless possibly struck by lightening ... I used to peel off the bark down to the wood leaving all the notches of a branch that didn't conform to shape and bleach white .. amazing how quickly you could make a young tree old ...

Great harvests your having ... finally the little pasties whilst I was in Quito we used to buy what the Ecuadorians called "Diablo" which were stuffed with beef mince meat and chilli are these them

I have read about Jin, but have never actually tried the
bleaching thing.  I need to up my game, John   ;)   Next
time I prune, I'll try to remember that...

Nah, just regular empanadas, nothing special, store type.
Needed sauce to make them more flavorful, but they weren't
horrible!

All caught up. The Mystery Cross looks cool. Let us know how they taste. I love sauces. The one from SD. Is it from that place in Sea Port Village? I've never been there, but read about it somewhere.

Empanadas look tasty.

Sorry I haven't been around much. Taking computer classes and trying to finish Summer projects before Winter comes. It's a race. I'm ahead for now. LOL

OCD Chilehead said:
All caught up. The Mystery Cross looks cool. Let us know how they taste. I love sauces. The one from SD. Is it from that place in Sea Port Village? I've never been there, but read about it somewhere.
Empanadas look tasty.
Sorry I haven't been around much. Taking computer classes and trying to finish Summer projects before Winter comes. It's a race. I'm ahead for now. LOL
Yes, Charles, it is Seaport Village. One of the best hot sauce shops I've seen.

The F4 white pods are really hot. At first a nice fruity taste,
Then after awhile the heat kicks in and builds for awhile.

Good luck staying ahead, buddy!

hottoddy said:
Nice season. Makes me miss my former home, Tualatin.
Has turned out okay despite the poor early summer weather.

Even at that, the Tualatin Valley weather is hard to beat!

Back