• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2016

Okay, back in the saddle again.  I checked out of this forum last September,
when my wife and I went on an 8-week vacation.  We had a blast, then I came
home to two months of yard work to catch up on, and holiday season to
contend with   :doh:   

I just this week finished grinding up all the dry pods from last season.  Managed
to get my seeds in to soak on Jan. 15th, and into the Jiffy Pellets on Jan. 16th.
I'm going for fewer varieties this season, but 3 or 4 plants of most varieties that
I grow out.  No small pod peppers this year, just too labor intensive for the results,
although I have some awesome small pod powders laid away.   Speaking of which,
I have so much powder I'm considering packaging and selling some this summer.  
I'm going to try to sell my fresh pods this Fall, so maybe no more powder production
until I need some, and then, just my favorites.  

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 4th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 7 ................    77%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 6 ................    66%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  7 ................   77%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 105 ...............  89.7%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Feb. 5

1/29 - First watering of earliest germinating plants

2/2 - Begin light fertilizer routine on older seedlings:  Cal-Mag, 1 tsp / gal.
                                                                                          AK Fish Fertilizer, 1 tsp / gal. 
     - Start fan on taller seedlings

Trippa said:
Quite an apt name seeing as we had quite a few lightning/thunder storms about the time I created that cross back in 2014? I believe it was. Haven't settled on a final name to be honest but I like the suggestion you put up. It has turned out better then I had hoped ... I am super stoked it has kept the purple foliage. My original hope was bright white/yellow pods on a purple plant but the pure bright white perhaps looks even better. It also looks like it has the better production I had hoped for of the Pimenta de Neyde vs the Bonda which I love the taste of but only ever had mediocre production from. Nice work Paul!!

The foliage is awesome - really dark purple.  I think one of the F1 or F2 crossed with a red BJ
I had the first season I grew the cross out, and created an awesome Bhut hybrid with almost
 the exact same foliage, and pods that are super dark purple until they ripen to an amazing
orange/red varigation.  I will send you some of those seeds if you want, too.

My Bondas were always pretty productive, they must like our climate here!

Rainy weekend - half-inch - some plants take advantage
of sun breaks to ripen up a few more pods. F4, BJ hybrid,
JA Red Habaneros, all have many more to ripen up. Scorpion,
Rocoto, BJ red and brown, 7 Pot Burgundy all have more to
ripen, as well, but are winding down. Fatalis, Padrones,
Chocolate Bonnets just about done.

Meanwhile, some pods needed to be picked. Rain softened a few
before I got around to them.

BJ, red and brown, finally a few decent-sized Primos along
with the usual runts (which make great salsa by my neighbor),
JA Reds, two Padrones, which are throwing some Poblano-
looking pods:

image.jpeg

Fatalis, Scorpions, Chocolate Bonnets:

image.jpeg

BJ hybrid - three phenotypes, PDN x Bonda - the cross' small
pods remind me of Peruvian White Habs and just as hot! I am
going to try to continue the BJ hybrid pheno in the top row:

image.jpeg

One more nice Rocoto. Visions of Rocoto Relleno are dancing
in my head:

image.jpeg

Some 7 Pot Burgundy. I'm going to try to extend the 'chestnut'
line. There are some interesting pods on the plant:

image.jpeg

All but the three biggest pods on the Fatali Bonchi are ripening:

image.jpeg

Thanks, Charles- it has been an interesting
project. Doing better than I had hoped.

Managed a few more pods today.

Aji Amarillo, Scorpions, BJ hybrid:

image.jpeg

Rocotos, Padrones, Bonnets:

image.jpeg

Padrones and random pods:

image.jpeg

Some varieties have a lot of pods left to
ripen up.

Scorpions:

image.jpeg

Aji Amarrilo:

image.jpeg

JA Red Habaneros:

image.jpeg

tsurrie said:
Spectacular pods!
Tired of picking and storing peppers yet? Guess not :)

Yes!  I don't mind the harvesting, but finding a market
for the pods is not easy.  I've sold a few pods and
powders, but the amount of work that goes into them
certainly is not remunerative!  After awhile, there just
isn't room for the pods in the fridge or powders on my
storage shelf.  Since it's just my wife (non-chilihead) and
myself at home, I can't use 'em up fast enough.   I still use
powders from the 2012 season!  Next season I need to get
serious about getting into a farmer's market.  I just didn't
want to put out the $35 fee, plus $25 every time you host
a table or booth for our local version this season. 

Hi Paul! There's certainly no moss on you, I had to look through 3 pages of your glog to get caught up! Love the look of those monsker Red Rocotos! BLS may have limited the rest of your harvest somewhat, but those are stellar! Nice review of the 3 hot sauces a couple of pages back... I'll bet Lourens was happy. :)    How much longer to your growing season?

stickman said:
Hi Paul! There's certainly no moss on you, I had to look through 3 pages of your glog to get caught up! Love the look of those monsker Red Rocotos! BLS may have limited the rest of your harvest somewhat, but those are stellar! Nice review of the 3 hot sauces a couple of pages back... I'll bet Lourens was happy. :)    How much longer to your growing season?
Gotta stay out of the bars somehow, Rick! You are kind to wade thru
three pages of this stuff - I'm a lot further behind on yours, my friend,
for which I apologize, my friend.

Some of the varieties have basically shrugged off the BLS.

These Rocotos are the best pubescens I've had - credit the good
Peruvian seed!

A couple of nice purple-tipped F5 pods:

image.jpeg

Harvest of miniature pods from the Fatali bon chi:

image.jpeg

A monster BJ Red getting its ripeness on:

image.jpeg

A BJ hybrid showing nice ripening progression:

image.jpeg

Some pods picked today:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some pods going into dryer at 105-110*F
for seed selection:
image.jpeg

Still cranking out the pods I see!

A very good year considering the initial prognosis ;)

I see you're in long sleeves, means it's cooler now. So the work is almost done. Once I retire I'm going to hook up with a local feedstore owner who's been wanting to start a farmers market. Probably not any money in it, we'll see. I do know that organic herbs are sold around here in the flea markets for just killer prices. I'm sure powders will do well too. I just don't think I can sit there and wait for a sale though..LOL I gotta keep moving!

Devv said:
Still cranking out the pods I see!

A very good year considering the initial prognosis ;)

I see you're in long sleeves, means it's cooler now. So the work is almost done. Once I retire I'm going to hook up with a local feedstore owner who's been wanting to start a farmers market. Probably not any money in it, we'll see. I do know that organic herbs are sold around here in the flea markets for just killer prices. I'm sure powders will do well too. I just don't think I can sit there and wait for a sale though..LOL I gotta keep moving!
We are definitely sliding into Fall's variable weather,
Rick. Some nice days mixed in with some cloudy,
showery weather and cool nights.

I hope you can make the Farmer's Market idea work
for you Rick - nice to have a partner.

A couple of JA Red Habanero seed pods:

IMG_3440.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3437.JPG

Great looking pod's, Paul. I can relate on being the only Chilehead. I have powder and frozen pod's every year. I share my goods with people who show a interest in the next level of heat. This year I've been making purée. I go through a lot of hot sauce. About a bottle or two a week. Purée gives me a easy storage of heat. When I want to make another batch of sauce, I open a couple jars of purée. Next year I'm scaling up on the number of plants I grow. I want to give back to you guys that have sent me pod's in the past and present.

Thanks for sharing

OCD Chilehead said:
Great looking pod's, Paul. I can relate on being the only Chilehead. I have powder and frozen pod's every year. I share my goods with people who show a interest in the next level of heat. This year I've been making purée. I go through a lot of hot sauce. About a bottle or two a week. Purée gives me a easy storage of heat. When I want to make another batch of sauce, I open a couple jars of purée. Next year I'm scaling up on the number of plants I grow. I want to give back to you guys that have sent me pod's in the past and present.

Thanks for sharing

I have a book of chili pepper recipes.
I need to try that out.  Purees seem to be
the first step in lots of great sauce recipes.

Do you freeze it?

Cloudy, rainy weather has settled in for
real, looks like the pattern for the next
ten days, with maybe a few sun breaks
now and then. Pod ripening is probably
about over, with many unripe pods left
on the plants.

Got in a few more pods the other day, before
the rain settled in. Ajis, Bonnets, 7 Pot Burgundy:

IMG_3463.JPG

Scorpions:

IMG_3464.JPG

JA Red Habaneros - sort of odd phenotype:

IMG_3472.JPG

Bhut Jolokias, Primos:

IMG_3473.JPG

Nice 3-inch plus BJ:

IMG_3474.JPG

Tray full of heat for the dryer:

IMG_3459.JPG

F4 PDN x Bonda Ma Jacques:

IMG_3460.JPG

7 Pot Burgundy, red and brown phenotypes:

IMG_3461.JPG

Hoping to get a few more pods that are very
close to being ready. Praying for sun

Paul, you've got a lot of beautiful pods over there. Looks like you are busy too.

The climate must be very similar to our this year, because the season is almost over here too. We're in danger for a frost tomorrow morning... damn, it's too early... a lot of pods are still hanging around and waiting for their turn.

tsurrie said:
Paul, you've got a lot of beautiful pods over there. Looks like you are busy too.

The climate must be very similar to our this year, because the season is almost over here too. We're in danger for a frost tomorrow morning... damn, it's too early... a lot of pods are still hanging around and waiting for their turn.

Thanks, my friend.  There have been some bright spots among a rather disappointing
season, but there is always next year!  

We are just about at the 45˚ latitude line here, halfway between equator and North Pole.  
So, we get the worst of both worlds.  Just kidding, the climate is usually mild and temperate
here, although the past several years have seen some variable and extreme weather, both
hot and cold.  Right now, windy and showers.

Well, the thermostat on my dryer
went schizo and dried my seed pods
At too high a temp. I'm afraid the seeds
Won't be viable, so started a ziploc seed
germination test. Will know in a week or
so if they are good to go or not So, I'm
Air-drying some more seeds now. Those
were great pods, better than the new ones
for those varieties. Oh, well.

Pulled a couple of nice 7 Pot Burgundy for
seeds. I love the chestnut-colored pod. That
plant has some mean looking pods left to ripen,
but I'm afraid there isn't much time left for them.

IMG_3476.JPG

The last few pods on some of the Padrones
have taken on a Poblano-like sunken calyx,
and gotten much fatter.

IMG_3478.JPG

A few Chocolate Bonnets left in the foreground.
Seven foot tall roses standing guard, Rocotos
fading on the right.

IMG_3479.JPG

Not my favorite time of year in the garden. Plants
look shabby, the promise of ripening pods fading
with every day, weather really sucky. I may try to
grab a few pods that are very close to being ripe
if we get a sunbreak today.

Back