• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

low tunnel (hoop house), wilted & damaged leaves. . .

Hi all, 

I started habanero and jalepeno plants from seeds this year, they did beautifully -- I built a low tunnel, or hoop house as they are sometimes called (pvc hoops covered with row cover fabric), planted 2 days ago and constructed the tunnel yesterday. I had to plant mid morning, (no choice) so the plants did get the stress of full sun the first day in the ground. (I harder the plants off several weeks prior). 

The plants looked very healthy yesterday, but today, most of the plants had lower, older leaves wilted, and about half of the leave grayish brown on the end. (they weren't dry or crispy). I trimmed off the bad leaves -- the soil is moist. 

I'm wondering if it was too hot/humid in the low tunnel? Our temps were in the high 80's yesterday, and it's been humid. 

Also, I watered them in pretty good, maybe too much when I planted them. I've heard hot peppers don't like too much moisture. 

The newer foliage looks pretty good, I raised a side of the low tunnel to ventilate -- any thoughts would be appreciated! 

thanks, 

Jan H. 
Lebanon, Ohio

80 outside is gonna be pretty hot inside. if outside temps are above 65-70, just leave them without being covered. 

First year with high tunnel.  That happened to the first few plants I put in. Inside temp was 90, outside was 70.  Mid day.  Next day, did everything the same but moved plants in at sun up.  I -think- it was sudden temperature change.  The three or four that were damaged got a drenching the next morning and they have come back fine.

BTW: Had a bunch go south after bringing them outside into 65 degree weather from a 90 degree grow room.  I really think sudden changes hurt them.

thanks all, and thanks for the welcome! 

The plants look better today, guess they've forgiven me ;-)    I have the sides up on the tunnel today, the plants were drenched from our rain yesterday & last night -- (the cover is agfabric, lets in most of the light, air & rain, row cover I guess you'd call it ). I think ventilation is the key here. 

I've always been a tomato girl, but I'm getting excited about the hot peppers -- husband wants to do homemade pepper flakes, he can take the heat, but me not so much -- one variety I got from Park seeds is called Sweet Heat, quite low on the heat but sweet -- sounds good!

Jan

Pictures?  Especially if home made.  Made my first last years, learned a few things from my mistakes.  Living with them this year and redoing some of it off season.

I'll get some pics up next few days -- we have thunderstorms moving in today, I lowered the sides of the low tunnel, and after a few hours the peppers looked stressed again -- I'm wondering if the low tunnel is really more for setting plants out before the season, and extending the season afterwards, as frost protection -- the tomatoes in the same garden have no protection and they look pretty happy. 

Then again, we haven't had a good thunderstorm with high winds yet, so fingers crossed for the young tomato plants -- I did hit the tomatoes with an anti fungal, since we're really prone to early blight here. 

Here's a couple of pics -- one shows the low tunnel, top down. The plants look pretty healthy to me, a few with buds, but they haven't really taken off that much, been in the ground about a week. We've had thunderstorms, and steady winds -- a couple of leaf tips show a little damage. . .
I haven't shared pics from Google+, let's see if I can manage it:
IMG_20160608_094011296.jpg

IMG_20160608_094124777.jpg

IMG_20160608_094047564.jpg

Back