• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Lets clear up some broscience!

First season newb here.... I'm getting a real brosciencey vibe with this topic...

"Does letting a pod ripen on the plant "signal" the plant that mission is complete and lead to a lesser production for the remainder of the season?"

Has anyone actually tested this? I mean... initially I was trying test on separate plants but that fell apart...either way...tbh the ones that have ripened quite a bit on the plant have shown little "slow down" in production. I mean...the second crop is a little less but thats pretty uniform...

thoughts?

Reason I ask is it seems my cayennes and be picked early and finish ripening ...still holding some strong heat. Jalapenos and habaneros seem to do better if i just leave them on...probably because they require so much longer to grow compared to cayennes but still.

+1 on juanitos post.

My response is limited to a number of chinense grown last year (See below pix.). I tended to leave pods on plants even after ripening so that i would have as many pods as possible to "pull" for processing. With that my answer is having ripe pods on plant not an influence on future pod production as I remember pulling hundreds of flowers in Sept. that I knew would not mature in my Zone.

LineUp1_45_Trimmed_zpswwhlwvfx.png

IMG_0768_zpst4yrgz0f.jpg

Back