• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Give a shout-out to the most productive variety you've grown...

nzchili said:
Have had a few fairly productive ones over the years. Im now leaning towards peppers that are more "usable". The super hots are fun but I cant say I like them for much other than a bit of fun.
This plant is obviously no monster and is still young, but is turning into quite a dense ball of peppers and is very usable :)  obviously only single pod per node as its an annum..but still quite productive..have high hopes for this one. pic is from a few weeks ago so should be substantially better now 

IMG_1345_zpssb2zuvkb.jpg

IMG_1344_zpsosbnshyj.jpg

I'm with you on growing 'usable' peppers. I love the idea of the ultra hots too, and have grown many, but when it comes to consuming what I grow (instead of giving them away as novelty), I prefer moderate heat and lots of flavor.

I would recommend Brazilian Starfish if you're open for suggestions. Not a huge producer, and the plant is kind of big and stretchy, but the flavor is out of this world (IMO) and the heat is low enough you can eat dozens of peppers at a time.

I like to pan fry or BBQ them.

By the way, what variety do you have pictured here (seems like a Cayenne-type)? Is it tasty? How do you recommend to cook/eat them?

mrgrowguy said:

I'm with you on growing 'usable' peppers. I love the idea of the ultra hots too, and have grown many, but when it comes to consuming what I grow (instead of giving them away as novelty), I prefer moderate heat and lots of flavor.

I would recommend Brazilian Starfish if you're open for suggestions. Not a huge producer, and the plant is kind of big and stretchy, but the flavor is out of this world (IMO) and the heat is low enough you can eat dozens of peppers at a time.

I like to pan fry or BBQ them.

By the way, what variety do you have pictured here (seems like a Cayenne-type)? Is it tasty? How do you recommend to cook/eat them?

Yes its very tasty.  Flavour has hints of melon / cucumber taste and surprisingly juicy/crunchy. A good heat for cooking. I assume its a cayenne type, Its called hot joker.
Will have to pick up some starfish seeds :)

This hybrid has produced around 100 lbs the past year.  I still have many many pounds in the freezer from it.  It suddenly failed after reaching over 14' tall and I cut it back to a stump which is now greening up and starting over.  Great flavor for a super hot and best roasted.

5EbIuS5.jpg

Nuclieye said:
This hybrid has produced around 100 lbs the past year.  I still have many many pounds in the freezer from it.  It suddenly failed after reaching over 14' tall and I cut it back to a stump which is now greening up and starting over.  Great flavor for a super hot and best roasted.

5EbIuS5.jpg

That big bush-tree behind you is a chilli plant?! That's crazy and definitely the biggest I've ever seen. What type is it?

Bicycle808 said:
Yes, I'm also curious as to what kind of hybrid that monster is.  100 lbs in a year?! Dang.  I just need one of those. 

Look at my past posts for details but a Native wild growing Chiltepin and Reaper cross.  In the pick the mother plant is on the left side and about 4' tall with the Reaper underneath it all and about 1.5' tall.  They are both still growing well.  I just pulled out of the deep freeze the last 3, 1 gallon bags of peppers and their combined weight is just over 18 pounds so the 100 lbs is probably a little light.

Nuclieye said:

5EbIuS5.jpg
By far one of the best plants I have ever seen,absolute monster. It isn't 14'+ though.

Pr0digal_son said:
By far one of the best plants I have ever seen,absolute monster. It isn't 14'+ though.

Finally able to sign back on...  LOL  Nope in that pic its only a little over 11'.  When it went tit's up it hit 14' 4".  It's youngster is now just over 10' and its still early Feb.  We had no frost this winter so all plants are going nuts with new growth.  When it all greens up I'll post more pics.  

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

You want a Peter S review too?

Sorry to disappoint! I've read many reviews with "fruity overtones" and "hints of chocolate"? I put anything in my mouth that hot and all I taste is ice pick stabs on my tongue! What I do is dry, break 'em up, put 'em in a spice grinder with dried garlic and grinder salt.

If I want to tickle my taste buds I'll delve into a nice single malt scotch. :cool:
I am just saying no to stabby heat this year.

Nuclieye said:

Finally able to sign back on...  LOL  Nope in that pic its only a little over 11'.  When it went tit's up it hit 14' 4".  It's youngster is now just over 10' and its still early Feb.  We had no frost this winter so all plants are going nuts with new growth.  When it all greens up I'll post more pics.  

People are going to ask but what are you feeding it?
Obviously it's big because of the conditions it's growing in but your other plants are nowhere near that big!

Powelly said:

People are going to ask but what are you feeding it?
Obviously it's big because of the conditions it's growing in but your other plants are nowhere near that big!

Other than  topping with a little chicken poo compost I only water them all.  All plants get the same.

Nuclieye said:

Other than  topping with a little chicken poo compost I only water them all.  All plants get the same.

Good lesson that the soil quality and the quality of light are the main things that matter

While my chiltepins don't get nearly as tall as the one in the pic above, I'll agree that they're by far, pod-for-pod, the most productive pepper I've ever grown. I planted three last year and literally couldn't pick all of the pods. This year, one seems like plenty. :) Great little pepper!

this one has small peppers..but is very productive.

my finger included to put the flowers / pods per area into perspective :)
its a wild pepper from fiji.

IMG_2369_zpsxplwfpeb.jpg

mrgrowguy said:

+1

To me the best producing plant has been Rosemary Pepper from pepperlover. Compact plant with lots of very useful peppers!

Back