• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2017

Seeds in the distilled water soak tonight,
into Jiffy Pellets tomorrow... Happy New
Year!

IMG_4606.JPG

Seeds started 01/01/2017:
JA Red Habanero (CPI and self-selected) - 3
Fatali, yellow (Pepper Joe) - 3
PDN x Bonda Ma Jacques (F5 Trippa's cross) - 3
Aji Amarillo (F5 self selected) - 3
Rocotos/Manzanos/Cabe Gendot (self selected) - 7
Orange Bhut Copenhagen (Refining Fire) - 2
Aji Limo (Peruvian 2015) - 2
Scorpion, yellow (F5 self selected) - 3
Aji Lemon Drop (Tradewinds Fruit) - 2
Scotch Bonnet MoA (Trident Chilies, John) - 3

Numbers refer to target number of plants
for season 2017 grow. Annuums go into
Germination chambers in March.

How can we be sure they are chilli's in that first foil tunnel shot ? [emoji23]
Seriously though Paul they are looking salubrious! Love that deep purple of the f5 (i assume) in contrast with the green and silver.
The Rocotos are thriving as well (are they the Peruvian MKT var.?) ...
You have growing talent coming out your socks! ... Grow on!

The foil is very effective at getting the light
down into the bottom of the plant:
IMG_4832.JPG

This is for the Rickster: 

A while ago I showed a post of some little seedlings
I had experimented with by cutting off just below
ground level - they have developed nice roots after
being in water for 2-3 weeks:
IMG_4834.JPG

Time for a transplant, so I slit Aero Garden sponges
lengthways, and tucked the stem and roots into fully
saturated sponges, sort of like a hot dog.
IMG_4835.JPG

Then, into the AeroGarden:
IMG_4839.JPG

The two little transplants:
IMG_4841.JPG
IMG_4842.JPG

For some reason, I cannot get the editor to just 
add one of the second photo.  

Will update this little experiment periodically.

Amazing collection of some of the best plants iv seen this season , loving the coloration of the f5 , moa is always a favourite and yours look very healthy and lush green.

Watching your grow keenly Paul your heading for a fruitful season .

moruga welder said:
digging the footage thats happening ! all is doing well , my friend !      :party:  Thanks, Frank!  How's that shoulder, buddy?

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking fantastic Paul!

Very nice pictures. Got some great specimens.  Hey, Charles, thanks!

Superhot Sim said:
Amazing collection of some of the best plants iv seen this season , loving the coloration of the f5 , moa is always a favourite and yours look very healthy and lush green.

Watching your grow keenly Paul your heading for a fruitful season .  Thanks, Sim, you are too kind, my friend!  I'm hoping for some nice bonnets from John's seed stock.  The F5 cross of Tristen's is awesome.  Looks like it's pretty darn close to being stabilized!

Trident chilli said:
Super healthy plants Paul ... Great picture update ... your going to have plenty of pods this year  I'm hoping for a good season this year, John.  It would be awesome if we could just get a nice June for a change.  We go hell-bent-for-leather through May, then the cold, damp June stops them in their tracks    :confused:   Rats!  Your MoA's are looking just marvelous.

Thanks, all!  Some of the plants are growing so fast, it's scary!

PaulG said:
Thanks, all!  Some of the plants are growing so fast, it's scary!

Yeah, me too. I have amarillos trying to fruit. Those are in the window. The rest are in the studio, "looking" like they're in a holding or slowing pattern. Is it shorter time spans of light or less light intensity that slows a plant down? Both? The three plants in the window are growing as well as flowering, I'd guess as much as an inch/week....

Trippa said:
How can we be sure they are chilli's in that first foil tunnel shot ? [emoji23]  Hahahahahaha   :high: 
Seriously though Paul they are looking salubrious! Love that deep purple of the f5 (i assume) in contrast with the green and silver.  The F5's are so beautiful they could almost be considered an ornamental  when the purple foliage and white pods are shining in the sun!
The Rocotos are thriving as well (are they the Peruvian MKT var.?) ...Yes, they are the second generation from some original seeds brought back from Peru by our friend.  Interested in some seed?
You have growing talent coming out your socks! Sometimes it comes out other places   :rofl: ... Grow on!  Back at you my friend!  

Plantguy76 said:
Hi Paul all is great still not off the ground yet but will be starting soon as my soil is on it's way.  Hope so buddy, I'll bet you are chomping at the bit!

stettoman said:

Yeah, me too. I have amarillos trying to fruit. Those are in the window. The rest are in the studio, "looking" like they're in a holding or slowing pattern. Is it shorter time spans of light or less light intensity that slows a plant down? Both? I would imagine so, Eric.  The three plants in the window are growing as well as flowering, I'd guess as much as an inch/week.... That's awesome news,  My Aji Amarillos are forming a dense growth tip getting ready to fork, and the Aji Lemon Drops have forks a couple of inches long.  I expect open flowers in a few days. They are a robust variety for sure!

Update on some of the peppers - will post more
later today.

Four Yellow 'Cardi' Scorpion, 5th generation my seed:
IMG_4843.JPG

Three Yellow Fatali, Pepper Joe seeds:
IMG_4844.JPG

Four MoA Scotch Bonnets, John,Trident Chilis:
IMG_4845.JPG

Two later germinating Caribbean Red Habanero, CPI,
And the late germinating F5 PDN x Bonda Ma Jacques,
all three two weeks behind the others:
IMG_4846.JPG

Nice update Paul! As usual spectacular plants!

And you just added yet more beauties as I was typoing!

I remember 5 years ago when I first joined how you documented your cloning experiments. We all learned from that for sure. So I had no doubt you two little gals would succeed.

Good work buddy and sunshine is not far off, I WILL be sharing!

Putting them in water instead of moist rooting media
seemed to be the answer.  Much easier than Rootone
and peat moss seedling mix, and you can see the roots
forming. Now, the AeroGarden is the perfect tool to nurture
those little roots along.  I can see this is a great method in
an emergency (like having only two F5's,) but not sure it's
a go-to propagation method.  Unless you lived in Florida,
then you could do it year-round   :cool:  I will definitely use it
in the future if need arises.

Boy, do you have those plants dialed in Paul. I am learning how you guys restart cuttings.I have not crossed that bridge yet but want to. ;)

randyp said:
 Boy, do you have those plants dialed in Paul. I am learning how you guys restart cuttings.I have not crossed that bridge yet but want to. ;)
Here is a link to the cloning I documented in 2012.  
The success rate in the long run was mediocre.  In
comparison to putting the cuttings in water and
letting them root, I think the water method is easier
to control and more efficient

There are some great threads on cloning, air layering,
and grafting on the forum, which are great methods
of propagation, as well, although more technical.

Trident chilli said:
Paul your MoA are really pushing on .... looking super healthy as are your other plants I must invest in an Arerogarden soon
Thanks, John.  The AeroGarden is a fine tool once
one figures out the best way to utilize it in their own
situation.  There are some great examples of what
they can do on the forum.  Wish I could utilize
seedlings year 'round.

Thanks for the offer of the Peruvian MKT seeds but your generosity has gone before and I am currently growing one from your seed supply
... Flowering nicely ... Just won't set fruit ... Unusual because the other two pubescens var. are. Anyway I am on the wrong side of summer/start of Autumn here so I can't expect too much ... Will be attempting to dig up and overwinter everything ... Will see how I flounder [emoji1]

Back