• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How Many Lux

Hi All,
I have a little chilli plant that is about 30cm tall and 20cm wide. I want to put it on my desk at work as it's an ornamental variety (ebony fire) and I have some bolivian rainbows that I'd like to put on there as well when I have one all grown up.

I can't post a picture of my work location because the building requires federal clearance but I took a light meter into work today and I am getting 1280lx at the position of my desk.
It's very open plan and has a huge sun roof in the middle where all the stairs are and my desk is next to this.

I was hoping that a desk lamp with an LED globe would be enough to boost the light up a bit. I was shopping for normal lighting for my home last week and I bought a globe that was 5000k and 1100-1200 lumens
Do you think this would be enough or would I need to find a globe with higher lumens?

Again, it's a pretty small plant I'm not going to be after having a grow room on my desk lol.

I have something that is somewhat empirical to show you. Look at the two different pictures showing my indoor growing contraption. The U bulb that you see going out in the early picture did quit. This chamber also has an electrical supply pigtail so when I went to get the replacement U bulb, I got a bulb similar to your example. A 16 watt, 1600 lumen, 5000K, A21 LED. I used a small clip fixture and hung it from the "roof". The two pictures were taken using the same camera with the same settings. The noticeable difference you see is the LED shining down.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63158-my-wintertime-houseplant-pets/

That looks like a lot of light, hopefully with the residual sunlight and the other lighting in the building it will be good

Back