• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is the best tasting Aji Pepper?

Hi,
Next year I really want to grow plants that I can make use of. So I'm going to grow:

Jalapenos
Cayennes
Birds Eye
Habanero
Aji

However there are LOADS of different types of Aji. I'm not big on the spice as I can simply add more birds eye to get a disk hotter! I'd like the best tasting!

I know Fatalii's are really tasty but I think the heat would be too much to really enjoy it for example. So that is not on my list

So far I think the best Ajis to grow are either:
  • Aji Pineapple
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Aji Lemon

I assume you are talking about Baccatums not al Aji's.
I agree with your choice of 3 above. Can't go wrong with those three. I also decided to stick with useful peppers.

Of those three varieties, I've heard only good things about Aji Pineapple in particular. 

Personally I had Aji Norteno last year and quite enjoyed them, not overpowering heat-wise.

Aji Ahuachapa,Aji Amarillo, Aji Lemon, Aji Santa Cruz- All are great tasting with mild heat.

Of the Aji I have grown I most liked Aji Omnicolor for taste and for taste and heat I liked Aji Cito especially.  If you live in a region that doesnt require overwintering and can grow year round I agree with the AJi Amarillo.  I dont grow the Amarillo as the first year plants dont produce enough peppers for my liking and I hate overwintering plants, its the type of plant that needs two years to really produce well imo and experience after growing a couple years.   

I really like Aji Colorado and Aji Verde(picked green).The Aji's (baccatums)are all pretty much on the mild side as far as heat goes and some have soapy taste to me.I'm trying Aji Angelo this year and I'll probably try Aji Omnicolor next.

This season I'm going to be growing a fair amount more Baccatums so my opinion might change in a few months, but so far my fav has been the Aji Fantasy.

Brazilian Starfish have a slightly sweet, berry-like flavor that goes great on salads, etc.
Aji Pineapple is indeed a good medium-hot, citrus flavored pepper.  Great powder.
Aji Amarillo have low heat and a great strange-fruit like flavor.
Aji  Cito - blazing, sharp, flavor and heat.  Good for cooking or powder.
Aji Cristal / Cap 267 medium heat, strong chili flavor.  Add to generic salsa for a kick of flavor and flame.

When I mow my grass(@5 acres), I fill my pockets with Aji Pineapples to munch on while I mow. Very tasty fresh. Not so good as a sauce!
I also love Aji Melocotons when dried. Great on pizza. Also not so good as a sauce!
Both are prolific,..don't need many plants...

jakester said:
When I mow my grass(@5 acres), I fill my pockets with Aji Pineapples to munch on while I mow. Very tasty fresh. Not so good as a sauce!

This! Aji Pineapple are pretty hot on their own, though not Habanero level, but have a very fruity, slightly vegetable flavour that lends to use in salads and similar. They're not great cooked but might survive a stir fry relatively in tact and would definitely be worth using in one if they do.

D3monic said:
I can't tell a difference between aji pineapple, aji limon and aji lemon drop personally.

I can definitely tell the difference with the Pineapple, though it is somewhat subtle. The other two, however, I've not had much chance to compare, largely because I was under the impression that they were simply two names for one plant.

Back