• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Spicy Rice Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rymerpt said:
DING DING DING DING really close

I'm gonna butterfly a pork loin, stuff it with ricey goodness, tie it up 50 shades of swine, then wrap that bitch in bacon.

STAY TUNED ITS GONNA GET SEXY
Don't fall into the Top Chef curse, make sure to make it about the rice and not the swine. Sounds delish ;)

It says, and I quote: "where the hell is all the rice be at?"

IMG_1316.GIF

I gotta wonder if the interwhebz has been exploding with searches for RICE MAIN DISH recipes recently....  :lol:

interesting teasers to start with....

doesn't help that I am absolutely starving right now waiting to go to a Mardi Gras dinner fundraiser....(where's the starving emoji?)

Cranberry, HABENERO, almond, wild rice
stuffed pork loin

20170304_213410_zpsi61mdjsi.jpg

One pork loin
1lb spicey Italian sausage
1lb thick cut, peppered bacon
One large shallot
Five cloves garlic
Five habaneros
Cup dried cranberries
Two cups almond slivers
3 cups wild rice mix ( mine had brown and wild rice)
Olive oil to coat pan
Parsley for garnish

20170304_171529_zpsfujuozoj.jpg

20170304_172855_zpshlkbtoes.jpg

20170304_175554_zpsshnrtsxh.jpg

20170304_180434_zpsayeug7iu.jpg

20170304_183200_zpsuq7w957d.jpg

20170304_183243_zpstf1oq8z5.jpg

20170304_184611_zpsrotm9nq3.jpg

Butterfly the loin, trim to square it off, cover heavily with plastic wrap, pound to about 3/4 inch thick. Set aside.
Place rice in pot with enough water to cover with an inch above rice. Simmer for fifteen minutes covered. Check liquid level and stir. Add more water to make it covered about an inch again. Rice will expand a lot (keep an eye on it) . After about 35 minutes total you will have an aldente rice with a slightly soupy consistancy. Turn off heat and let rest.
Oil a skillet and add chopped shallots, garlic, and habs. Cook untill shallots are almost clear (about ten min). Add sausage and cook untill brown.
PREHEAT OVEN 350
Combine sausage mix with rice and add your cranberries and almonds.

Thickly cover pork with rice mixture. There will be a good amount of rice left. This is ok. We will use this under the pork when plating. THE RICE IS THE BEST PART ANYWAY Carefully roll like a jelly roll. Twine roast to keep secured. I used a mesh ( use twine). Cover with bacon.

Place on a rack inside a roasting pan.

Cook for one hour at 350
Lower heat to 325 and cook another 45- 60 min or untill internal temp of roast is 160°
Remove from oven, lightly cover with foil, rest twenty minutes.
Cut away the twine and slice roast into thick rounds.
Plate atop the remaining rice (that you reheated) and garnish with parsley for color.

20170304_213305-1_zpsxhqdlqvu.jpg

My overall out of pocket for this AWESOME RICE DISH was $32
OH MY GOD THIS IS GOOD!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back